What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If the rumour is correct it would back up why he was at our game V Bulldogs (I think it was that game). Maybe as far as then he was contacted and came to suss us out as a squad, and would also explain McGregors bizarre press conferences lately where he's blaming everyone as he may also been given a tap already.
Again, let's not get ahead of ourselves until it's official.

dragonreddy

Juniors
I like the fact Mary will remain assistant, it shows that he is a quality person by accepting the role, hê is a better coach than Price was and Price is the assistant at the Sharks. Mary does have a solid D background.

Haha ,all it shows that he wants his money for the 3rd year of his contract,he should just get the hell out of the road, he has shat on the club from a great height with his pathetic attempt at being head coach.

thebigredv

First Grade
If the rumour is correct it would back up why he was at our game V Bulldogs (I think it was that game). Maybe as far as then he was contacted and came to suss us out as a squad, and would also explain McGregors bizarre press conferences lately where he's blaming everyone as he may also been given a tap already.
Again, let's not get ahead of ourselves until it's official.

Yes, all the finger pointing makes a little more sense now. I think you might be right. Why can't we have another crack at Wayne Bennett?

rasaint

Juniors
Another post noted Ivan's record. Lost more games than won. What a coach! Can't wait to see us win half our matches .... Bit like Mary does now.

The same type of record as Arthur, Henry, even Flanagan up to this year. However, better than Wayne Bennents 3 year Newcastle record ( about 46%).

Motto; great players make great coaches. Whoever is coach has to have the roster.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
We should be looking at a coach who has a success rate of at least 65%. I would prefer Hagan or Toovey as coach as I think that they are more analytical and would have a better success rate than 49%. Mary's success rate is currently 40% and heading downwards
Cleary has been given the flick at the Warriors and the Panthers so why would we want him? If we had him as coach we would
currently be on 24 points based on his success ratio which is only a minor improvement.

Bench
Least he has coached first grade. Waiting for offical statement, could be just another rumour.

Saintsified

Bench
I think the board would coach the coaching out of Cleary. I'm starting to think Price and Mary probably were interfered with and now look like chumps, maybe they could coach, where as Wayne was strong and told them to f**k off. We don't need another puppet coach. We will end up with the same results.

getsmarty

Immortal
I think the board would coach the coaching out of Cleary. I'm starting to think Price and Mary probably were interfered with and now look like chumps, maybe they could coach, where as Wayne was strong and told them to f**k off. We don't need another puppet coach. We will end up with the same results.

With all due respect..I can see no evidence to support that Mary and Price can coach in terms of successful structures/man management/team selections. With the Rosters they both had available to them they both under achieved.

Saintsified

Bench
With all due respect..I can see no evidence to support that Mary and Price can coach in terms of successful structures/man management/team selections. With the Rosters they both had available to them they both under achieved.
You are correct, but the point I'm making is did they make all the decisions themselves or were they told by the board.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ivan Cleary
Club Career
Team Years Matches W L D Win %
Australian League Matches

Warriors 2006-11 154 77 74 3 50.0%
Penrith 2012-15 98 44 54 0 44.9%
Overall 2006-15 252 121 128 3 48.0%
All Australian Club Matches
Warriors 2006-11 164 81 80 3 49.4%
Penrith 2012-15 100 45 55 0 45.0%
Overall 2006-15 264 126 135 3 47.7%

coaching stats are not that impressive, we would not make the finals with these stats, but at the same time what was his rosters like at the time ? back then (anyone)
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/ivan-cleary/summary.html

You forgot to add his 100% coaching record when coaching the Prime Ministers XVII.

1 game 1 win ....lol

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Ivan Cleary
Club Career
Team Years Matches W L D Win %
Australian League Matches

Warriors 2006-11 154 77 74 3 50.0%
Penrith 2012-15 98 44 54 0 44.9%
Overall 2006-15 252 121 128 3 48.0%
All Australian Club Matches
Warriors 2006-11 164 81 80 3 49.4%
Penrith 2012-15 100 45 55 0 45.0%
Overall 2006-15 264 126 135 3 47.7%

coaching stats are not that impressive, we would not make the finals with these stats, but at the same time what was his rosters like at the time ? back then (anyone)
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/ivan-cleary/summary.html

50% with our basket-case? I'd take it.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
We should be looking at a coach who has a success rate of at least 65%. I would prefer Hagan or Toovey as coach as I think that they are more analytical and would have a better success rate than 49%. Mary's success rate is currently 40% and heading downwards
Cleary has been given the flick at the Warriors and the Panthers so why would we want him? If we had him as coach we would
currently be on 24 points based on his success ratio which is only a minor improvement.
How difficult would it be working long-term with Phil Gould looking over your shoulder? I think Cleary did well to last as long as he did in that position.
I don't think we can base an assessment of a coach purely on his win-loss ratio. I believe Mary's 40% record in 2016 is poor when we consider the players at his disposal but when you factor in the big losses to the Sharks, Cowboys, Broncos and Eagles and the biggest win has been 5 points (?) then his performance must be rated very poor.
While Cleary has a ratio of under 50% according to the stats on this thread I believe he is intelligent enough to learn from his experience and improve on that in a stint at a third club. I mean that is why we want an "experienced" coach - he has been through ups and downs, he has made errors and learnt from them and can draw on his experience to produce the best possible results. If Mary has to be endured in an assistant's role for a year as the price for his removal from the top job then I would say we are definitely better off than now. Cleary could appoint Mary as Assistant Coach (Press Conferences). I am sure he has still got a few good excuses left up his sleeve!

The Doc

Juniors
I dont think his win-loss % means anything. If he is appointed coach next year, the team at his disposal (provided rein and benji are replaced properly) will be the best team he has coached.
He is a smart coach... non of his previously coached teams struggled to score points, the man can coach attack...
We have players that can attack if coached properly!!!
To be honest... i cant see why anyone would complain, a new coach from outside the club with 1st grade coaching experience... or mary???
For anyone to question his appointment (if it happens) is nit picking and nothing will make them happy!!!
I say bring Ivan in, and bring back segeyaro... we are long overdue for this.

Reactions: Qdf

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I dont think his win-loss % means anything. If he is appointed coach next year, the team at his disposal (provided rein and benji are replaced properly) will be the best team he has coached.
He is a smart coach... non of his previously coached teams struggled to score points, the man can coach attack...
We have players that can attack if coached properly!!!
To be honest... i cant see why anyone would complain, a new coach from outside the club with 1st grade coaching experience... or mary???
For anyone to question his appointment (if it happens) is nit picking and nothing will make them happy!!!
I say bring Ivan in, and bring back segeyaro... we are long overdue for this.

I think most on here would be happy if Ronald McDonald was the next coach. At least the boys would get a happy meal.

Red V for life

Juniors
To be fair to Cleary and his coaching stats, the Warriors have shown over their history they're not the easiest team to coach in terms of getting consistency. I don't know why, but coach after coach after coach has tried and failed. I also believe he left to take the Panthers job and I also believe they tried to get him back when McFadden was doing his best Mary coaching impression.

As for what happened at Penrith, all politics for mine.

Dannyboy80

Juniors
To be fair to Cleary and his coaching stats, the Warriors have shown over their history they're not the easiest team to coach in terms of getting consistency. I don't know why, but coach after coach after coach has tried and failed. I also believe he left to take the Panthers job and I also believe they tried to get him back when McFadden was doing his best Mary coaching impression.

As for what happened at Penrith, all politics for mine.
yep, all this. He also took warriors to a GF, and Penrith one game away from the GF. Plus he'd be a coach decent players would sign on to play under. Really hope this happens.

Reactions: Qdf

Dannyboy80

Juniors
And I really think he'd have good ideas on how to use dufty, leilua, frizz and Dugan in ways that actually put their talents to good use