What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary ..

franklin2323

Immortal
You'll put your back out bending over to make excuses for Dave's mate. The Titans, Newcastle and St George have Australian rep players. Mind you, they are pretty strong, they are holding up the entire NRL.

I hate Ivan as much as the next guy but how many did we have last year?

Those 2 Titans players Mal is trying to re-sign so of course they get rep jerseys. It helps to have the Aust coach on your payroll.

Hunt was the QLD number 9. There is a shortage of hookers so who would you pick if not him?

So there is reasons for it but we have the same issue for as long as I can remember

OldPanther

Coach
I hate Ivan as much as the next guy but how many did we have last year?

Those 2 Titans players Mal is trying to re-sign so of course they get rep jerseys. It helps to have the Aust coach on your payroll.

Hunt was the QLD number 9. There is a shortage of hookers so who would you pick if not him?

So there is reasons for it but we have the same issue for as long as I can remember

Funny thing is Hunt plays better at hooker than half.

mxlegend99

Referee
You'll put your back out bending over to make excuses for Dave's mate. The Titans, Newcastle and St George have Australian rep players. Mind you, they are pretty strong, they are holding up the entire NRL.
The odd thing is he hated Ivan before anyone. Yet now seems to almost defend him when it's unjustified.

Im glad we moved on from Hook. But bringing Ivan in and pushing Gus out will be the worst move this club has made in it's history.

We could have had two of the greatest minds the game has ever seen working together. Gus and Bennett. Instead we have Ivan who thinks we need a complete rebuild... with the only rebuild he has done himself was the mess he created at Tigers.

He worked with Gus to rebuild us the first time. Obviously Gus was the man responsible for the contracts and cap management. Ivan just identified players he likes and left it to the boss to try making it happen. Our club doesnt have the credibility it had with Gus here.

betcats

Referee
If this the roos squad selection is an indication of the clubs strength why did the Dragons get more in the side then then the storm, the rabbits and as many as the raiders?

Crashtest

Juniors
We could have had two of the greatest minds the game has ever seen working together. Gus and Bennett. Instead we have Ivan who thinks we need a complete rebuild... with the only rebuild he has done himself was the mess he created at Tigers.

Bennett's best days are behind him and he should of retired from coaching.

And Gould liked to sign up our local players to long contracts on inflated contracts based on potential, and the external signing he did make he paid overs for eg Tamou, Merrin, Maloney. He did a lot a great things for the club, but I'm not sure roster management should be classed as one of his strengths.

betcats

Referee
Realistically in our squad this year you had Cleary, Yeo, Edwards, Mansour, Tamou and RCG who could of made the Australian side all of our other AUS eligible players weren't even established FGers this year.
Bagging Ivan because none on those 6 guys made it is ridiculous, its going looking for reasons throw shit IMO.

franklin2323

Immortal
Realistically in our squad this year you had Cleary, Yeo, Edwards, Mansour, Tamou and RCG who could of made the Australian side all of our other AUS eligible players weren't even established FGers this year.
Bagging Ivan because none on those 6 guys made it is ridiculous, its going looking for reasons throw shit IMO.

Yeo and Cleary are injured. Tamou is in the strongest position. The other 3 were in NSW Cup at some stage.

That is how I see it too. Plenty of actual stuff to blame him for

franklin2323

Immortal
The odd thing is he hated Ivan before anyone. Yet now seems to almost defend him when it's unjustified.

Im glad we moved on from Hook. But bringing Ivan in and pushing Gus out will be the worst move this club has made in it's history.

He worked with Gus to rebuild us the first time. Obviously Gus was the man responsible for the contracts and cap management. Ivan just identified players he likes and left it to the boss to try making it happen. Our club doesnt have the credibility it had with Gus here.

Because not everything is Ivan's fault. We have the same amount of Australian players this year then we had last year so.

Gus was just as responsible for us being where we are then hook was. Infact more so because he hired Hook with no interview process. Had the cap in the state it was so it is better moving forward to start with a clean slate.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

And Gould liked to sign up our local players to long contracts on inflated contracts based on potential, and the external signing he did make he paid overs for eg Tamou, Merrin, Maloney. He did a lot a great things for the club, but I'm not sure roster management should be classed as one of his strengths.

Well and truely behind him. I agree with your comments on Gould. Love him to bits, but lets be realistic some of the contract amount were very generous.

Abacus

Juniors

Quality, well considered post.

On Bennett, his best is behind him. He only managed to get Souffs to third this season. He's obviously old and incompetent and not good enough for our great club. Ivan was a much better option being much younger and having achieved so much in his coaching career (not to mention having sired a future immortal).

Yep, Gould's roster management was shit. You really just need to look at the results associated with his recruitment: salary cap breaches; we never made the finals; we could never flexibly move players on when we needed to; and any players leaving always came back to bite us. Given all these issues we had under Gus, I'm sure recruitment will be much improved under Ivan and the committee - how could it not?

@mxlegend99 must have been taking the piss to even consider that Bennett + Gould could possibly have anything to offer the Panthers - a highly respected club with a proven history of success through regularly making the finals and winning premierships. Ivan & Dave are obviously the better options.

franklin2323

Immortal
Quality, well considered post.

On Bennett, his best is behind him. He only managed to get Souffs to third this season. He's obviously old and incompetent and not good enough for our great club. Ivan was a much better option being much younger and having achieved so much in his coaching career (not to mention having sired a future immortal).

Yep, Gould's roster management was shit. You really just need to look at the results associated with his recruitment: salary cap breaches; we never made the finals; we could never flexibly move players on when we needed to; and any players leaving always came back to bite us. Given all these issues we had under Gus, I'm sure recruitment will be much improved under Ivan and the committee - how could it not?

@mxlegend99 must have been taking the piss to even consider that Bennett + Gould could possibly have anything to offer the Panthers - a highly respected club with a proven history of success through regularly making the finals and winning premierships. Ivan & Dave are obviously the better options.

Are Souths any better then they were last year?

What about the state he left Broncos in or Knights before that. There were better coaches we should of got but a 69yo Bennett wasn't it.

Also we'd be stuck with RCG and no hooker with Gus. So not so sure it is a bad thing yet still too soon to say that

OldPanther

Coach

What about the state he left Broncos in or Knights before that. There were better coaches we should of got but a 69yo Bennett wasn't it.

Also we'd be stuck with RCG and no hooker with Gus. So not so sure it is a bad thing yet still too soon to say that

He didn't leave the Broncos in a mess. There are two players who are letting them down. The reason they did so bad this year was injuries. They pretty much had no spine with their young hooker having to play halves.

franklin2323

Immortal
He didn't leave the Broncos in a mess. There are two players who are letting them down. The reason they did so bad this year was injuries. They pretty much had no spine with their young hooker having to play halves.

That is the thing with him he never thinks ahead. Always in the now so complete opposite to how Gus works. So no idea how we better off? Maguire would of been my pick.

I said for 2 odd seasons Gus should go for me the only question is can the current setup do better or do we need to bring someone in

mxlegend99

Referee

Absolute bullshit. We might have kept RCG. But Wayne Bennett would have wanted a better hooker and Gus would have gotten him.

It took Ivan offloading half our roster for Trent Barrett... not Ivan to get a hooker to join us. Gus and Bennett are a hell of alot bigger draw than what we have.

Based on the contracts Ivan threw at Mbye, Reynolds, Packer and Matulino... and the Tigers being unable to get rid of any of them Ivan has zero credibility at managing a roster.

While every player Gus paid overs to he managed to get rid of quiet easily with litrle or none of their contracts being covered by us. In nearly a decade under Gus we never once got this desperate to offload players and cover so much of their contracts. Ivan has caused irreversible damage to our cap in how poorly he has done at offloading players... and even worse at failing to replace them.

Yet somehow you think Ivan is doing something Gus and Bennett couldnt?

ram raid

Bench
Four more seasons of the same.

I'd be surprised if we made the Top 8 again under this merkin.

I'll revisit this post next year.

I would be surprised to see Penrith finish 6th or something next year. Especially if the competition is as weak as it was this year, with only 3 or 4 contenders.

DWZ and RCG both admitted to not liking footy last year. After both singing Ivan's praising in Pre Season. Not sure that is on the coach either.

From what I heard, RCG is a bit of a weirdo. Harmless, gentle giant, eccentric type. And amid all cliqueiness that was going on Reagan was not the most popular kid in the team.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Absolute bullshit. We might have kept RCG. But Wayne Bennett would have wanted a better hooker and Gus would have gotten him.

It took Ivan offloading half our roster for Trent Barrett... not Ivan to get a hooker to join us. Gus and Bennett are a hell of alot bigger draw than what we have.

Based on the contracts Ivan threw at Mbye, Reynolds, Packer and Matulino... and the Tigers being unable to get rid of any of them Ivan has zero credibility at managing a roster.

While every player Gus paid overs to he managed to get rid of quiet easily with litrle or none of their contracts being covered by us. In nearly a decade under Gus we never once got this desperate to offload players and cover so much of their contracts. Ivan has caused irreversible damage to our cap in how poorly he has done at offloading players... and even worse at failing to replace them.

Ivan has always done well with our hookers. Seg killed it and moving Wal was a great move. People are hating on him for no reason half the time now

franklin2323

Immortal

Gus ordinary at managing a roster. Did you yourself say the roster was shit over the last off season? So why that not continue under Gus. Depth was ordinary and guys like RCG on overs

I think Bennett is past it. Likes an older roster so don't see how he work with ours anyway.

Ivan is an ordinary coach but he is getting help from Barrett. Is on the same page as management which helps and of course having Brandy hands on with the roster is good.

I don't think Ivan will win the comp but I think we could match the bottom of the top 8 like we would of under Bennett/Gus. Then hopefully he moves to the front office and can get a real coach in

betcats

Referee

Speaking of absolute bullshit. We haven't offloaded half the roster, you have no idea what we are covering and Gus offloaded a lot of players early and once again we have no idea what was covered. You are just talking shit.