What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been Red Ringed....

Monk

Referee
i have a PS3, tbh the reason people buy Xbox's... Halo... simple.

The reason i bought a PS3... they are better then the 360.

I had an Xbox for over 5 years no problem, but me and my brother traded it in with all our games to get the PS3. i regret nothing.

Caged Panther

First Grade
halo is not the reason i own an xbox, 360's online gaming and community craps all over ps3.

I agree totally on that statement, I know poeple will come out and say that the playstation network is free but personally I'm happy to pay for the privelage of playing online using a decent online community, that and the fact I prefer the 360 controller is the reason I buy most multiplatform games on 360 despite owning a PS3.

As for the RROD I can see what is being said about people being suckers but from what I can gather it's now at the point where by and large the refinements they've made to the internals of the console means it's no longer a given.

Jono078

Referee
I cant see how online gaming is worth $100 a year? When you can have it for free, what are the big advantages ?

I've played Midnight Club: LA and Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 online, and it's been great, headset chats have been unreal and the games run smooth and all.

perverse

Referee
you know that not every xbox360 that is sold gets the RROD right? therefore you can hardly "know" it's going to f**k up by purchasing one. you could probably liken it to gambling if you like i guess.. but you're drawing a very long bow saying that anyone who buys a 360 is a sucker.. especially when it has such an impressive catalogue of quality games.

perverse

Referee
and even better track record of faulty machines ...
yes, i agree... in fact the figure is believed to be as high as 30%. which means a minimum 70% of machines are fine... and if you get one that isn't, you can always force a RROD and get a free repair, or even another machine.

i'm not saying it's acceptable. i'm saying you're being melodramatic. there is no real risk involved in buying one as long as you have a warranty.. and the aforementioned quality games catalogue is worth the faux risk to access. hell, i don't even own a 360, but i wouldn't hesitate in buying one because of a potential hardware fault that wont cost me any money.

what are the chances that 30% figure is nothing more than a dampener? ... even if it is true it still puts the figure into the millions and that is enough to say "you've been warned"

perverse

Referee
actually, the most recent independant study i can find by warranty seller SquareTrade puts the figure at about 16%. 30% was a figure EB were harping on about midway through last year. you can find these exact same figures with a 5 second google.

warned? sure. but once again, that's not my point.
people who buy xbox 360s are suckers plain and simple ... they pay hundreds for a product they know will f**k up at anytime and they also know the manufacturor knows it's faulty because it was rushed so they could beat off sony ...
^^^ that is a ridiculous statement, plain and simple. even if you get one of the 16-30% of consoles, you can get it repaired or replaced for free.

the other glaring problem with the statement is that, while initial problems may be attributed to the console being rushed... they have had a lot of time and many revisions of the console to address those issues, which i'm sure is contributing to the apparent decline in failure rate.

if microsoft weren't offering a good warranty on the product you would probably have a point, but as it stands there are only 2 reasons i can see not to buy a 360:

1. you're a wii/ps3 fanboy.
2. none of the xbox 360's games catalogue interests you.

and you can find about 32 different "exact figures" for comparative sales ... there is no concrete exact figure, so we can leave that aside ...

and they're only FINALLY now starting to cut down on the red rings after how many attempts? ... it got so bad that warranty had to be void so that people could get their xbox 360 repaird such was the frequency

i stand by point no matter how ridiculous it sounds ... you take a risk in buying anything but when that risk is heighted to a 16-30% chance it'll disintergrate that's a pretty monumental f**k up and i'd also call you a sucker for paying for the same privilege playstation offers for free ...

has any console in the history of gaming been released so faulty?

perverse

Referee
lol... i've made my point.

FTR, discussing the failure rate of the console by itself, i think it's pretty disgraceful. however, i'm a gamer because i like to play quality games... not because i like to bitch and moan about failure rates and pick sides. there are quality titles on all 3 consoles and PC (obviously) too... and i don't let petty crap like failure rates get in the way of experiencing them. if you do base your gaming decisions on such things.. then i can't help but feel a slight bit of pity, as no matter which way you go.. you're gonna miss out on some great games.

you've made your point and i made mine ... i don't buy xbox because everything i play is on both so i've no need to cross over ... sony's continual snubbing of australia is pissing me off though

still waiting for coby ................... tick tock ...

Y2Eel

First Grade
you've made your point and i made mine ... i don't buy xbox because everything i play is on both so i've no need to cross over ... sony's continual snubbing of australia is pissing me off though

still waiting for coby ................... tick tock ...

How does this make him a fanboy?
If it wasn't for the RROD, PS3 would be dead by now.

Your just as much as a fanboy.... ;-)

BTW get a real gaming machine buy a pc dont need to change it every 5 years ala xbox and ps...

yeah, you just need to upgrade it every 5 minutes :roll: pc's are a great investment ... every game that comes out you need an better graphics card of higher ram

oh and it makes him a fan boy because he's jocking ps3 ... i'm not a fanboy because clearly i stated i'm pissed off with sony's jerking of australia ... see the difference? now off you go to the canteen

Jono078

Referee
PC is the worst IMO, I like to just buy my game, slot it in my console and were ready to go, if your console doesnt break anyway (Ha! Take that Microsoft!) :p

perverse

Referee
there are thousands of virtues of PC gaming. i bought my PC 2 1/2 years ago, and here i am playing fallout 3 and left 4 dead with no worries at all. you just have to know when to buy... or get lucky. i've maybe spent 1500 on my PC total, and it does much, much more than play games.

additionally you have more control over configs etc on a PC... and tbh anything but a keyboard and mouse for FPS or RTS games is just pathetic - which is the reason you don't see much/any inter-platform multiplayer gaming between consoles and PCs... because the PC players will wipe the floor with the console gamers every time. there is also a far greater variety of games, both freeware and purchase. there is a far greater sense of community for PC games due to the far superior methods of communication.

in fact the only real, genuine advantage consoles have over PC's is the previously mentioned "plug'n'play" nature of consoles. they just work. this is a big bonus for the technically challenged amongst us (no offense to console gamers intended... i enjoy my consoles as much as the next gamer).

i could go on and on and on... but i don't want to sound like a PC fanboy... if there is such a thing. saying that PC's are the worst is a very ill-informed point of view. if you need to upgrade your PC constantly to enjoy PC gaming, then you are doing it wrong.

the fact is, there is no worst. all have their advantages and disadvantages. the trick, i guess, is to find the solution that works for you. in my case, i assimilate any and every quality game on any platform i can get my hands on. i would have hated to miss out on the resident evil series... gran turismo series... zelda series... gears of war... just about any blizzard game... or any other number of games amongst thousands of awesome titles that have been released across any number of platforms in the past 15 years because of some sort of ignorant bias against one company or another. i don't know why we can't all just get along.

Jono078

Referee
PC gaming doesnt cut it for my needs..

I'm not into my FPS and RTS games.

Id imagine it would be a hassle sitting in front of the monitor playing multiplayer FIFA.

PS3 works really well for me, havnt spent an extra cent on it since I bought it (besides a 2nd controller) and ive downloaded free demos, play games online, multiplayer with ease. And now the media thing is coming into it more with streaming stuff from PC to PS3.

Thomas

First Grade
I've heard that 30% figure for the RROD but every single friend of mine who has owned an Xbox has had RROD. That's what put me off. Some of them have had it 2 or 3 times!

shiznit

Coach
i just brought a 360 today... ive already got a PS3 but the Xbox is so cheap at the moment... i got mine for $250 NZD. only the arcade version though..

Latest posts