What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been Red Ringed....

Danish

Referee
Well my xbox 360 finally, after 2 years, gave out. Red Ring of Death reared its ugly head and started flashing at me last night....

I've registered my product online and applied for the repair under warranty and such, but wanted to know what experience anyone has with the amount of time it will be sent away for??

I've read that while Xbox has already paid for the mail costs it can actually be much quicker to use your own courier and just wear the $50 or whatever to guarantee a safe return.

Whats everyone's opinion on this??

also, will they just send me a new console or actually fix the one I've got?? Given there are 5-6 things that cause the RROD I am wondering if anyone has had to send the same xbox back more than once. Would be pretty pathetic if they just fix the 1 thing that has broken and dont make any preventative repairs.

thanks

Dragon

Coach
Mine took about a week i think. Make sure you pack it well though, mine came back with a dirty big scratch on one side of the case. Other than that all good. Screw paying $50 for courier though.

*edit* also they do make some preventative repairs. When you get it back shine a torch or phone above the vents at the top/bottom. You will see new heatsinks.

shiznit

Coach
i reckon they pushed through the next gen consoles too early... Xbox with RROD & PS3 with its own heating issues....

i had my ps2 for 6 years and had no problems.... ive got a PS3 and i havent had any problems as of yet but im always on edge about it...

my bro's already had RROD...

KroganDoctor

Juniors
Mine took less than a week. I was very pleased with how fast it got done :D It really boosted Microsoft's standings in my books.

Samwise

Bench
same, got it back in just over a week. You can track it online too which is good.
No real hassles.

Danish

Referee
awesome.

Taking it to wrk tomorrow to send it off so hopefully get it back by the end of next week

MC DUI

Juniors
Agree the service is really good, don't worry about a courier.

I sent mine away and got it back in 4 days. Including postage both ways.

wtf, is this for real? i didnt know xbox 360 had problems. i bought mine 2 weeks ago, and i just leave it on all the time, am i f**ked?

MC DUI

Juniors
wtf, is this for real? i didnt know xbox 360 had problems. i bought mine 2 weeks ago, and i just leave it on all the time, am i f**ked?

The 360 has issues with heat, a lot of units get hot and the solder keeping the heatsinks against the GPU and CPU come away and the console gets 3 red rings indicating that it needs to be repaired.

Newer consoles have better heat management and lower power requirements for their cells which means they shouldn't have as many issues as the earlier batch 360's.

You aren't f**ked even if your 360 does get the 3 red rings as Microsoft has extended the warranty on this issue to 3 years.
Even then it isn't real hard to fix and if your out of the 3 year warrantry any console modder should be able to fix it for you relatively cheap.

But yes I wouldn't advise just leaving your 360 powered on if your not using it for a few hours.

Munky

Coach
Keep in mind there are different red rings that appear.

During an electrical storm in March mine turned off and the three red rings appeared.

It turned straight back on and has worked perfectly since then.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I've had to send mine back twice and both times got it back within the week. Haven't had a problem now in over a year.

tokerShark

Juniors
im on my 3rd xbox, each time ive sent it back i got it back in 5 days or less, plus last time i had whinge coz it was the 2nd time it broke and i got a free game. my mate had big problems, they lost his xbox(its probably at the couriers house), then sent him a empty box, then sent him a xbox with a broken hard drive

MC DUI

Juniors
im on my 3rd xbox, each time ive sent it back i got it back in 5 days or less, plus last time i had whinge coz it was the 2nd time it broke and i got a free game. my mate had big problems, they lost his xbox(its probably at the couriers house), then sent him a empty box, then sent him a xbox with a broken hard drive

Why would they send him a Xbox with a broken hard drive?? They don't get you to send the hard drive in when you send your Xbox to them. I'm assuming you mean broken DVD drive?

Agent Mulder

Bench
Ive been back to eb 3 times in 3 weeks, it took them 2 months to get XBOX's in and yesterday i got the Red ring of death again for the 4th, I wont be happy tomorrow when i take it in.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I'm on my 11th 360, but to be fair I've had this one for nearly a year now so it's going OK. The disc tray gets stuck all the time but it plays fine.

For anyone who doesn't keep up with the gaming news, MS are going to be updating the 360 in (I think) Spring to allow you to install full games to your HDD. You'll still need the disc in the drive but it won't turn at all and will load much faster which will cut out the scratching and noise and should reduce heat problems further. Can't wait.

i reckon they pushed through the next gen consoles too early... Xbox with RROD & PS3 with its own heating issues....

What heating issues?

tokerShark

Juniors
Why would they send him a Xbox with a broken hard drive?? They don't get you to send the hard drive in when you send your Xbox to them. I'm assuming you mean broken DVD drive?

sorry, when he got his xbox back his hard drive would not talk to his xbox. and it would not accept any updates. the guy at eb let be borrow an old hard drive and it worked fine

McLovin

Staff member
Ok i just got some red flashing lights and cant play anything. Is there anything i can do to try and fix it before i send it in to a professional?

nöyd

Staff member
Ok i just got some red flashing lights and cant play anything. Is there anything i can do to try and fix it before i send it in to a professional?

Not without voiding your warranty as far as I know.

MC DUI

Juniors

Just send it away, it's quick and free.

If you try and fix it using some of the methods on the web like the 'towel trick' you will just do more damage to the Xbox.

Latest posts