What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JAC

Sticking point is contract length with Mansour. Can't see us giving him 3 years.
The club seem keen on Mansour, but surely that would have to be with Penrith carrying a lot of the freight for the first year. Why taking Mansour has anything to do with Laurie still baffles me. I get the Cini /Laurie swap but why would Mansour have anything to do with it? We need a FB, and a 2RF but we don’t need an old winger on a three year contract. Widdop would seem a better option than Mansour.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The club seem keen on Mansour, but surely that would have to be with Penrith carrying a lot of the freight for the first year. Why taking Mansour has anything to do with Laurie still baffles me. I get the Cini /Laurie swap but why would Mansour have anything to do with it? We need a FB, and a 2RF but we don’t need an old winger on a three year contract. Widdop would seem a better option than Mansour.

I totally understand what you're saying.

I think that Penrith are wanting another club (W/T) to pick up at least some frieght of Mansour's last 12 months with Penrith (maybe 1/3 hopefully heaps more) perhaps using Laurie as the bait. You take Mansour and we will give you Laurie a year early.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens......(things can and do change quite quickly as deals and lures between clubs are made.)
aybe
It possibly also comes down to how desperate are you for Laurie early.

I'm thinking it will be a game of who blinks first.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't want Widdop or Mansour. I definitely don't want Mansour on a 3 year contract.

Tiger05

First Grade

I have no idea if that article is factual or not but it'd be good to get Laurie but not if we have to take Mansour for 3 years. I can understand taking him for one year but even that is dicey because they may need him off the books to keep Crichton.

Crichton after 600k sounds off as well. I think we should give it to him and get him but JAC got 500k. I reckon JAC is worth more than Crichton.

Wizardman

First Grade
While it is disappointing that we fail to attract top talent, I do feel (for once) that we are finally heading in the right direction under Madge.
Out of Madge's buys, retentions and droppings, the only two I was critical with was the overchase of Latrell Mitchell (thank goodness we didn't get him...despite his talent) and the buy of Adam Douhei on overs. Im hoping Madge proves me wrong on the Douhei front....I do think our best chance of value with him is at 6....too slow for outside backs and fullback.
But overall, the club has done pretty well for a club trying to get out of the wreckage it has been put in over the years.

I have no idea if that article is factual or not but it'd be good to get Laurie but not if we have to take Mansour for 3 years. I can understand taking him for one year but even that is dicey because they may need him off the books to keep Crichton.

Crichton after 600k sounds off as well. I think we should give it to him and get him but JAC got 500k. I reckon JAC is worth more than Crichton.
I’d pay him 600k, with bonuses, he would be FB though. He is a young bloke I’d be willing to risk that sort of money on! Also, imagine how pissed of Ivan would be!

stryker

First Grade

JAC is worth a lot more. Crichton is still in nappies.

stryker

First Grade
While it is disappointing that we fail to attract top talent, I do feel (for once) that we are finally heading in the right direction under Madge.
Out of Madge's buys, retentions and droppings, the only two I was critical with was the overchase of Latrell Mitchell (thank goodness we didn't get him...despite his talent) and the buy of Adam Douhei on overs. Im hoping Madge proves me wrong on the Douhei front....I do think our best chance of value with him is at 6....too slow for outside backs and fullback.
But overall, the club has done pretty well for a club trying to get out of the wreckage it has been put in over the years.
Long long way to go but chasing players like love struck teenagers and paying them whatever they ask seems to have subsided somewhat. Having said that, missing out on a player like JAC when we had the money he eventually signed for is a worry. We’ve signed decently but still need more.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Like most I was pretty disappointed at missing JAC but given time to think about it I now don't find it too bad. Sure he is the best winger in the comp but that is more based on who he has playing inside him, would he be that good with us, I am not so sure.

If we were getting Munster with JAC as a package that would be different....he'd continue being the best winger because his support play is so good. The brains of the team have done all the hard work and simply set up their wingers....

Now days the only difference between a really good winger and an average winger is who is setting them up. They all seem to be able to fly through the air to get the ball down, it is what led up to that point that is critical. I reckon Remis Smith will have a cracker of a season with the Storm next year, his inside players at the Dogs just didn't seem to set him up but you watch Munster with him.

I think some of our young players will turn out alright. Without stating the obvious Brooks and/or Douehi
need to step up this year, if not, pay the big money for someone of Munsters ability the year after. Munster could make our young backs to really good....geez I am 61 and he'd nearly make me look good hahaha,

If this is my last post before Friday....Merry Christmas Tiger supporters.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Like most I was pretty disappointed at missing JAC but given time to think about it I now don't find it too bad. Sure he is the best winger in the comp but that is more based on who he has playing inside him, would he be that good with us, I am not so sure.

If we were getting Munster with JAC as a package that would be different....he'd continue being the best winger because his support play is so good. The brains of the team have done all the hard work and simply set up their wingers....

Now days the only difference between a really good winger and an average winger is who is setting them up. They all seem to be able to fly through the air to get the ball down, it is what led up to that point that is critical. I reckon Remis Smith will have a cracker of a season with the Storm next year, his inside players at the Dogs just didn't seem to set him up but you watch Munster with him.

I think some of our young players will turn out alright. Without stating the obvious Brooks and/or Douehi
need to step up this year, if not, pay the big money for someone of Munsters ability the year after. Munster could make our young backs to really good....geez I am 61 and he'd nearly make me look good hahaha,

If this is my last post before Friday....Merry Christmas Tiger supporters.

I agree with majority of what you are saying, although one area where players like JAC excel at, that many other wingers don't, is when they get early ball in broken play. JAC is the type that can basically beat an entire team and score a 70m try out of nothing. IMO it is such an undervalued quality of top-tier wingers and can be the difference between winning and losing. Not many can do this, and those that can immediately start thinking they could be a fullback and make more money.

I'm disappointed we missed out on JAC, but until we make top 8 and legitimately start pushing to go deep into finals the marquee players won't be interested in coming to Tigers

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm disappointed we missed out on JAC, but until we make top 8 and legitimately start pushing to go deep into finals the marquee players won't be interested in coming to Tigers

He went to the Dogs. I don't know how we stuff up these marquee signings but we aren't as bad as the Dogs.

BrotherJim05

Bench
He went to the Dogs. I don't know how we stuff up these marquee signings but we aren't as bad as the Dogs.

Its because the Dogs as an organisation have proven they can consistently play finals and make the GF when they have their shit together.

Tiger05

First Grade
Its because the Dogs as an organisation have proven they can consistently play finals and make the GF when they have their shit together.

I don't believe this. I think they just paid him more money. We were used as a bargaining chip to get a better contract.