What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

TruSaint

Referee
Dude, didnt you read his posts? Apparently the young forwards respect and listen to him...that is irrefutable evidence that fullback is his only position, and NYC cant win the comp without him at fullback :sarcasm::roll:

Cheeky bugger :D:D

saintm

Juniors
I just watched the replay of yesterday's game and Jack Bird had an absolute blinder. He destroyed the minor premiers who gave us a touch up last week even though it finished 10 points apart. U20's is a long way from the NRL but he looks all class. If he adds a little size he will be a world beater.

Look everyone agrees Jack played well yesterday. But IMO he only played that well because of the great job our forwards did. Also, the whole team put in and played well it wasn't just he "Jack Bird" show. I have followed the 20s all year and there is talent across this whole team - many who if given the chance can go on to play NRL - let's face it he is 19 years old and if he is not happy at the Dragons I say - see you later. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Benny

First Grade
Benny,

For some reason ,hes spruiking Bird towards the sharks..Dont know if hes related to Jack,friend or just supporter ,and george43 seems like a nice enough bloke ,but definitely pushing the SHARKS

Hes in there forum aswell ,saying that the Sharks have a great future,and we are headed for the wooded spoon etc

Seems ,very hostile towards us ie our club

Thought so - explains a lot - typical troll.

I'd love Bird to stay but how the Scum would be a better option is mind boggling.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Fullback ?? Please the only time I've seen jack play fullback was the last comp game against Newcastle and they were flogged.
I was starting to think you knew a little about the kid.

Anyone who knows Jack will tell you natural 5/8 or lock who dream is to play Nrl with his loved red & white.

Didn't he play full back against the Broncos when they won 58-12 ?

bottle

Coach
The Sharks have snared the services of exciting youngster Jack Bird, with the 19-year-old Wollongong junior signing a two-year contract with the club today.

Highly touted at a junior level, Bird, who has a year of NYC eligibility remaining, represented NSW at under 15’s, 16’s and 18’s and was a member of the NSW Under 20’s Origin team in 2014. He will join the Sharks after completing his commitments with St George Illawarra and is set to train with the Sharks full-time NRL squad in preparation for the 2015 season.

While playing a good percentage of his junior career in the backrow, Bird has recently been used in the centres and at fullback for the Dragons 20’s and has been ear-marked for a change to the backline at the Sharks.

He has played a leading role in the success of the Dragons NYC teams’ push into the Grand Final qualifier in 2014 and hopes to finish this year on a positive note before making the move to the Sharks next season.

Sharks Football Manager Darren Mooney in announcing the signing predicted a bright future for Bird at the Cronulla club.

“He is an outstanding talent, which is shown by his extensive junior representative background,” Mooney said. “We are confident Jack can make the transition from the NYC into the NRL and we will give him every opportunity to make that step.

“We’re thrilled he has decided to join us next year, we think he can learn from the likes of Paul Gallen, Luke Lewis and our other senior players and are confident he can develop into a quality NRL player.”

An Illawarra junior having played for the Berkley Eagles, then the Steelers in their junior representative Matthews Cup and SG Ball teams, Bird is currently in his second season in the NYC with the Dragons.

Rated by commentators as one of the best on the field in the Dragons finals win over minor premiers Newcastle last weekend, Bird will attempt to steer his side into a Grand Final against a yet to be determined opponent next week.

The signing of Bird complements the recent acquisitions of experienced Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis and returning local junior Mitch Brown and when added to fellow young guns already at the Sharks such as Valentine Holmes, Fa’amanu Brown and Jacob Gagan, points to a solid playing roster and a positive 2015 ahead.

http://www.sharks.com.au/news/2014/09/18/bird_lands_at_sharks_in_2015.html

Heisenburg

Juniors
If the Illawarra juniors are just going to play for other clubs why our we still in a jv with them? I don't see why we are compromising our own identity and not even getting their juniors. Cut them loose.

saint06

Juniors
I wasn't too bothered by losing Henry or Cummins. But this kid, i'm a little disappointed.

Club looks like idiots now for paying for the treatment Bird has needed over the past couple of years.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hastings last year Bird this one. Jeez why do Saints bother bringing up juniors when they get nothing out of it. There should be a transfer system so they can at least make money out of it.

Steelman

Juniors
Very disappointed been aroundd a lot of these boys coming through at the grass roots level and their dreams have always been to play Nrl for their local team the Dragons.

I guess dreams dont always come true. ........

TheRev

Coach
Very disappointed been aroundd a lot of these boys coming through at the grass roots level and their dreams have always been to play Nrl for their local team the Dragons.

I guess dreams dont always come true. ........

I'd love to know why he left, maybe once the media dies down.

Must have been something going on to lose such a kid, especially to a club like the sharks, one of the worst choices a kid could make, surely he would have got first grade time with us next year..

He wanted out had been crapping on about it on twitter for months the same fashion Hastings used to make his mouth go about moving to the Roosters.

They offered him a new deal and he decided to move he was well thought of by Hornby and Young so i doubt a problem came from that scenario.

Funny how alot of other guys choose to stay from the NYC team this year and he decides to leave in the end its his business good luck you'll need it.

Not much infront of him at the sharks.
In any of the backline positions. He's gotta beat out leutelle and Mitch brown?

You guys got fritzl off us. We get bird.
The ying and yang etc

tumbidragon

First Grade
That one hurts.. Wtf are these numpties doing? :( This season just keeps getting worse... I'll flip if we lose either BMoz or Mez on top of this.

nrlnrl

First Grade
He wanted out had been crapping on about it on twitter for months the same fashion Hastings used to make his mouth go about moving to the Roosters.

They offered him a new deal and he decided to move he was well thought of by Hornby and Young so i doubt a problem came from that scenario.

Funny how alot of other guys choose to stay from the NYC team this year and he decides to leave in the end its his business good luck you'll need it.

Yeah, I agree that he seems to have a bit of attitude about himself & impatience to be playing NRL like a few other current teenagers. He is a talented player at junior level, but as we all know that doesn't automatically translate to success at NRL level.

Good luck to him, but we mightn't know how things pan out for 3 or 4 years. It can take some players that long to adapt, but his attitude points to a guy who wants it now. I have my doubts he'll succeed at Cronulla, but no hard feelings & hopefully a few of the NYC team progress to long careers at NRL level for the Dragons.

Latest posts