What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

TheRev

Coach
Can't blame the young fella if he goes to Cronulla to get a faster shot at 1st grade. He is a Dragon until otherwise announced.
This is the thing though, it shouldnt be happening, as ive mentioned before, weve only had 3 recent players who stand out as genuine star potential (maybe 4 with Garvey), and thats Dufty, Hastings & Bird.

If we lose Hastings & Bird because we cant come to an understanding about their development timeline and potential start in 1st grade, then we deadset have the wrong blokes in our 'high performance unit', these young dragons should be psyched about their future in the Red V & a compromise made if it comes to that.... they are ours to lose (Note: that you dont see us woo'ing other clubs stars either), and if these kids are being swooned away by someone more charismatic, then its time to get someone better in charge, because without these future superstars (superstars.. not just first graders), we are going to be a middle of the table team for years to come.

j0nesy

Bench
Cameron King, Dean Whare and Beau Henry. Thought these guy would be superstars. None are or will be. Now I'd prefer to keep Bird, but have to put some faith in the club and guys that work with them every day to determine their potential. Fact is we are just not producing them like we were in the late ninetys and early "noughties".

george43

Juniors
This is the thing though, it shouldnt be happening, as ive mentioned before, weve only had 3 recent players who stand out as genuine star potential (maybe 4 with Garvey), and thats Dufty, Hastings & Bird.

If we lose Hastings & Bird because we cant come to an understanding about their development timeline and potential start in 1st grade, then we deadset have the wrong blokes in our 'high performance unit', these young dragons should be psyched about their future in the Red V & a compromise made if it comes to that.... they are ours to lose (Note: that you dont see us woo'ing other clubs stars either), and if these kids are being swooned away by someone more charismatic, then its time to get someone better in charge, because without these future superstars (superstars.. not just first graders), we are going to be a middle of the table team for years to come.

Here Here!!!

BennyV

Referee

And what if they are beeing "woo'd" by another club spending more money? And I fully disagree that our future positioning on the table depends on these 3-4 guys. Potential is just that...guys like Kyle Stanley, Cam King and Evander Cummins were meant to be our saviours, and it didnt happen for them. On the other hand, guys who didnt stand out as much in juniors (like Merrin) have proved that they can take the next steps, and guys like Stockwell, JDB etc are showing how much hard work needs to go into cementing first grade spots.

There are PLENTY of our 20s squad who I would say have potential to make it and make a huge difference on our team. Bird, Dufty and formerly Hastings were on thay like, but so are AFB, Crook, Hutchinson, Aitken...the world is not over if Bird goes bro.

Cameron King, Dean Whare and Beau Henry. Thought these guy would be superstars. None are or will be. Now I'd prefer to keep Bird, but have to put some faith in the club and guys that work with them every day to determine their potential. Fact is we are just not producing them like we were in the late ninetys and early "noughties".

Disagree on Whare, hes been mega in the past few years including his test debut. King, also, has shown a lot of promise in his limited appearance in first grade and IF he ends up getting his injuries in order, could still make something of himself.

grouch

First Grade
What about creating a list of gun juniors who have become superstars? How would you feel if the likes of Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale and Trent Merrin were let go by the club due to some pathetic "you cant keep them all" attitude?

Whatever. If they're any good when they get older, tap them up and buy them back. I don't care where the players come from as long as we're winning.

Dean Whare has been such a good solid first grader I can tell you now i'd rather have him and linnett starting over Beale.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
What about creating a list of gun juniors who have become superstars? How would you feel if the likes of Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale and Trent Merrin were let go by the club due to some pathetic "you cant keep them all" attitude?

:lol::lol::lol:

The point is that we didn't let them go, did we?

grouch

First Grade
Well duh. Hence proving that investing in and retaining gun juniors is not only worthwhile but crucial to success, and shouldn't be so casualyl dismissed because some havent worked out (yet).

There is an equally long list of gun juniors we have let go who've also gone on to great success btw.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Well duh. Hence proving that investing in and retaining gun juniors is not only worthwhile but crucial to success, and shouldn't be so casualyl dismissed because some havent worked out (yet).

There is an equally long list of gun juniors we have let go who've also gone on to great success btw.

Where would one find this equally long list that could have included Morris, Nightingale and Merrin?

grouch

First Grade
I probably shouln't bother listing them, because as a rabid apologist you'd find some way to spin them into duds or "not real losses". Personally I think Josh Morris, the Sims brothers, Adam Docker, Dean Whare, Kane Linnett and (pre injury) Alex McKinnon would be in our 17 pretty comfortably

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I probably shouln't bother listing them, because as a rabid apologist you'd find some way to spin them into duds or "not real losses". Personally I think Josh Morris, the Sims brothers, Adam Docker, Dean Whare, Kane Linnett and (pre injury) Alex McKinnon would be in our 17 pretty comfortably

Quite the long list....lol

BennyV

Referee

Disagree with Linnett, and if we had all of them then McKinnon may not have been.

DaMightyDragons

Juniors
Dear Mr Doust,

Please do not let this young prodigy go to the Sharks. He is showing potential of being one of the greatest second rowers this club has ever seen. He has worked very hard in the 20's and deserves a shot at first grade with the dragons next season. I would really appreciate if you could pass this on to the recruitment team and Paul so they can read this advice from a proud dragons fan and 6 year member. If the club is all about growing players from the grassroots, keep this young Dragon in the system. Even though he may be young, he is playing very well for his age. We will regret losing him if the Sharks do go on and sign him. Please sign him up to an extension to keep the fans happy with the junior development of our great club.

My email to Dousty about keeping this boy here

TheRev

Coach
Whatever. If they're any good when they get older, tap them up and buy them back. I don't care where the players come from as long as we're winning.
Then we end up paying massive overs on the open market, and usually missing out on some of their best years.. its always better to keep them in-house, not to mention the loyalty/marketing angle that comes with that.

And for BennyV, id have to disagree with your list, its important to have solid footy players but they are much easier to import if we have too, what were truly missing is our JT, our Slater/Cronk/Smith, our SBW, our Hodges, our Barba (all be it in a rut), our Milford, our Hayne, our BStewart, our Lyon.. and so on and so on and so on.. blokes above the cut we just cant import without paying overs... in recent decades, faces that come to mind.. Gaz and Coops who could generate points.. before that it seems like the 90's with Mundine, Tinga & McGregor lighting up the field... im sure ive forgotten a couple, but we have been thin on genuine point-generating star talent for over a decade).

If I recall Hastings Mum on here before he left, the money wasnt much thus way or that, it was all about opportunity for first grade that swayed him.. whatever they promised him.. and even if it is money.. let an average bloke go and hold on to that superstar.. our future rides on it, not playing hardball and relying on the pull of the Red V, that I suspect is our prehistoric trademark.

BennyV

Referee
Then we end up paying massive overs on the open market, and usually missing out on some of their best years.. its always better to keep them in-house, not to mention the loyalty/marketing angle that comes with that.

And for BennyV, id have to disagree with your list, its important to have solid footy players but they are much easier to import if we have too, what were truly missing is our JT, our Slater/Cronk/Smith, our SBW, our Hodges, our Barba (all be it in a rut), our Milford, our Hayne, our BStewart, our Lyon.. and so on and so on and so on.. blokes above the cut we just cant import without paying overs... in recent decades, faces that come to mind.. Gaz and Coops who could generate points.. before that it seems like the 90's with Mundine, Tinga & McGregor lighting up the field... im sure ive forgotten a couple, but we have been thin on genuine point-generating star talent for over a decade).

If I recall Hastings Mum on here before he left, the money wasnt much thus way or that, it was all about opportunity for first grade that swayed him.. whatever they promised him.. and even if it is money.. let an average bloke go and hold on to that superstar.. our future rides on it, not playing hardball and relying on the pull of the Red V, that I suspect is our prehistoric trademark.

You mean like, say, Dugan?! (Although i remember our team being criticised in 2010 for not having that x-factor player, how did that work out?)

And regardless, weve had plenty of these players that simply dont work out. Cummins and Henry spring to mind, both of whom left the club looking for first grade spots and have fizzled out.

Beside, as i said in JA, if these kids are leaving because they dont see an immediate path to first grade (as is being reported with Bird), then i hope the door hits them on the way out. Hard. All it says to me is that they dont want to put in the hard work to EARN their spot in the squad. I'd much rather guys like JDB and Merrin who have busted their ass to make the team and cement their spot.

The club has no issue signing young guys through development. Crook has 2 years left, Runciman and Garvey are both continuously re-signed, Dufty has another year at least, and now AFB and Hutcho have been re-signed. It seems the guys who leave are the ones with high opinions of themselves who dont want to earn their spot. I wont lose any sleep.

j0nesy

Bench

I agree and that's why I said in my post that we have to have some faith in the club as, so far, we have been pretty successful at picking the good ones.

george43

Juniors
You mean like, say, Dugan?! (Although i remember our team being criticised in 2010 for not having that x-factor player, how did that work out?)

And regardless, weve had plenty of these players that simply dont work out. Cummins and Henry spring to mind, both of whom left the club looking for first grade spots and have fizzled out.

Beside, as i said in JA, if these kids are leaving because they dont see an immediate path to first grade (as is being reported with Bird), then i hope the door hits them on the way out. Hard. All it says to me is that they dont want to put in the hard work to EARN their spot in the squad. I'd much rather guys like JDB and Merrin who have busted their ass to make the team and cement their spot.

The club has no issue signing young guys through development. Crook has 2 years left, Runciman and Garvey are both continuously re-signed, Dufty has another year at least, and now AFB and Hutcho have been re-signed. It seems the guys who leave are the ones with high opinions of themselves who dont want to earn their spot. I wont lose any sleep.

It appears to me you are putting too much trust in the decision making of the coaching staff.

Latest posts