What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

saintm

Juniors
His performance was so strong at fullback i believe if he stays here they will win the gf, i'm not as confident if he doesn't.

George - everyone is entitled to an opinion although you sound like Jack's no.1 fan!! and that's great I agree he is a good player. But your way out of line bagging Dufty who has had an outstanding season. I just had a look at Big League Week's stats and stats don't lie here they are:

1st in Line breaks
4th in Line break assists
4th in kick receipts
6th top try scorer on 19 tries
8th in top running metres.

Not bad for an 18 year old - I think you should leave the decision making up to two guys who know a lot more than you do....

george43

Juniors
George - everyone is entitled to an opinion although you sound like Jack's no.1 fan!! and that's great I agree he is a good player. But your way out of line bagging Dufty who has had an outstanding season. I just had a look at Big League Week's stats and stats don't lie here they are:

1st in Line breaks
4th in Line break assists
4th in kick receipts
6th top try scorer on 19 tries
8th in top running metres.

Not bad for an 18 year old - I think you should leave the decision making up to two guys who know a lot more than you do....

I didnt bag Dufty just gave an opinion on who i believe would be best suited in a gf . your last sentence could be open for debate

saintm

Juniors
I didnt bag Dufty just gave an opinion on who i believe would be best suited in a gf . your last sentence could be open for debate

I'm not sure what your problem is with Deano & Benny however, I believe they have done a fantastic job this year. This is a really young side and they are placed 2nd at the moment and statistically could get the minor premiership if they beat Newcastle by 20 on the weekend. In my opinion thats a pretty good effort....

george43

Juniors
I'm not sure what your problem is with Deano & Benny however, I believe they have done a fantastic job this year. This is a really young side and they are placed 2nd at the moment and statistically could get the minor premiership if they beat Newcastle by 20 on the weekend. In my opinion thats a pretty good effort....

too structured

TheRev

Coach
This is why ive been suggesting Bird as a potential 1st grade Centre option (or even Winger in a pinch), as a way of getting him into 1st grade earlier... you have to assess his attributes..

He doesnt quite have the frame to play in the forwards (yet), but he has ample ball skills, speed and footwork to play in the backline right now.. at a minimum be on standby for injury with a view to start late 2015 (much like hastings @ the roosters today).

As for NYC Fullback during finals, Dufty is a future Billy Slater, and Bird (id imagine) would play a bit like Inglis @1 (minus the superstar/freak parts), hes going to be putting on big collisions, making solid breaks and get very involved, either way its great for the NYC side, but both of them need to be on the field somewhere, and Dufty has earnt the jersey all year long plus hes a freak.. Bird will slot in somewhere else, but its great to know see his versatility with a view to 2015 (if he stays at the dragons).

RedVDave

First Grade
Was stated in RLW that he will sign with Sharks in the next few days, with a paycut no less. #-o

nrlnrl

First Grade
Was stated in RLW that he will sign with Sharks in the next few days, with a paycut no less. #-o

That might happen, but it was from the Mole who listed him as a centre ( so he's obviously seen a lot of him play ).

saintm

Juniors
This is why ive been suggesting Bird as a potential 1st grade Centre option (or even Winger in a pinch), as a way of getting him into 1st grade earlier... you have to assess his attributes..

He doesnt quite have the frame to play in the forwards (yet), but he has ample ball skills, speed and footwork to play in the backline right now.. at a minimum be on standby for injury with a view to start late 2015 (much like hastings @ the roosters today).

As for NYC Fullback during finals, Dufty is a future Billy Slater, and Bird (id imagine) would play a bit like Inglis @1 (minus the superstar/freak parts), hes going to be putting on big collisions, making solid breaks and get very involved, either way its great for the NYC side, but both of them need to be on the field somewhere, and Dufty has earnt the jersey all year long plus hes a freak.. Bird will slot in somewhere else, but its great to know see his versatility with a view to 2015 (if he stays at the dragons).

100% Agree that both need to be on the park - well said.:)

possm

Coach
I'm not sure who is in charge of junior retentions these days but if he can't convince Bird to stay, then give someone else a go before it is too late.

Bird is a keeper and their is no reason to let him go.

LeaguesFan

Juniors
I have to agree with George on the team being too structured. I have seen alot of Jack Bird playing through the juniors and he has always been one to play what is in front of him and being in the backrow he may be limited in terms of playing outside of the set structures which may be the reason why he is looking else where or wanting to play in a position that may allow him to roam a bit more...At the same time they are sitting 2nd and had a great season.

BennyV

Referee
Yeah, all teams - especially kids under 20 years old - are that much better when they are just allowed to go.nuts. i dont even know why they have coaches :roll:

Seriously, the fact that Deano and Hornbag have got this team playing to a structure that utilisea the teams skills is impressive. Dufty is destined for fullback, Bird isnt. Well done to the coaches on getting the team where they are.

george43

Juniors
I have to agree with George on the team being too structured. I have seen alot of Jack Bird playing through the juniors and he has always been one to play what is in front of him and being in the backrow he may be limited in terms of playing outside of the set structures which may be the reason why he is looking else where or wanting to play in a position that may allow him to roam a bit more...At the same time they are sitting 2nd and had a great season.

You have read the situation well.

george43

Juniors
Yeah, all teams - especially kids under 20 years old - are that much better when they are just allowed to go.nuts. i dont even know why they have coaches :roll:

Seriously, the fact that Deano and Hornbag have got this team playing to a structure that utilisea the teams skills is impressive. Dufty is destined for fullback, Bird isnt. Well done to the coaches on getting the team where they are.

Thats the problem they are not utilizing the players skills, it is all about the structure. Trust me Jack Bird is a fullback and a really good one.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Bird sound like a prima donna just like Hastings and would be better off letting him go. Either you want to play for the Dragons or you don't,,I wish he would just make the decision and get on with it. I'm sick of pandering to the egos of young players

george43

Juniors
Bird sound like a prima donna just like Hastings and would be better off letting him go. Either you want to play for the Dragons or you don't,,I wish he would just make the decision and get on with it. I'm sick of pandering to the egos of young players

Jack Bird is not ego driven, and maybe your criticisms should be focused more on who is running the club

LeaguesFan

Juniors
Understand the need for structure but you also need to be able to play outside that structure at times especially when you have players with a high skill level such as Bird, not sure if fullback is his best position especially with Duufty having the year he is having but a ball playing lock role which would allow him to roam around the field would be better suited for Bird then just sitting on one edge of the field.

george43

Juniors
Understand the need for structure but you also need to be able to play outside that structure at times especially when you have players with a high skill level such as Bird, not sure if fullback is his best position especially with Duufty having the year he is having but a ball playing lock role which would allow him to roam around the field would be better suited for Bird then just sitting on one edge of the field.

From whht i've seen this year Young and Hornby have had their lock running as an extra front row forward

Latest posts