What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I really dont rate Jack Bird that much

I like his intensity but is he that good vs other centres? is he that good as backrower vs others? 5/8 or FB i certainly dont rate him.

For me my hope is that the juniors we have coming thru will end up on the left and Lomax on the right for many years to come. Birdy will play his part again for 2022 to keep that seat warm and do a solid job........but I cant see him moving out our NSW centres any time soon..........and they are FBs !!!

mickeylane

Bench
Everyone forgets he has played very little over the past 2.5 years, the fact that he played the majority of the games this year is a feat in itself...he will be better for the run...agreed he would be a great 14 along w Sims at 15, Mcguire at 16 , Mbye at 17....there's no way Sims is a starter any longer

boardlumps62

Juniors
Love his never say die attitude but sometimes he just needs to take the tackle & try to get a quick play the ball. When he fights the defence it not only slows down the play the ball but increases the chances of dropping the ball.
And like last week he was holding his knee I had bad thoughts.

ALSGI

Bench
Everyone forgets he has played very little over the past 2.5 years, the fact that he played the majority of the games this year is a feat in itself...he will be better for the run...agreed he would be a great 14 along w Sims at 15, Mcguire at 16 , Mbye at 17....there's no way Sims is a starter any longer
Agree with the Bird comments mate, he has come back from serious injury and did well to last the year. Will see how they decide to use him and how he goes next year.

Also agree about Sims, sadly. He’s a favourite, so many special memories of Dragons moments with him. Still can be very good but the consistency is slipping rapidly so less minutes makes sense maybe.

TruSaint

Referee

My heart says stick with Bird, but my head tells me otherwise. Im a massive fan, but he looks totally busted to me. Lets see how he goes as you say, in the offseason.

100% agree re Sims. Impact off the bench, in short stints.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
My heart says stick with Bird, but my head tells me otherwise. Im a massive fan, but he looks totally busted to me. Lets see how he goes as you say, in the offseason.

100% agree re Sims. Impact off the bench, in short stints.
You may be right who knows if so kudos to him if not he missed two years plus. IMO he's been fairly good for us hopefully better to come

denis preston

First Grade
Well i don't have high expectations for Jack next season but hope he surprises me as it will mean a better side. Also hope he doesn't become Hooks "norman " and gets in the way of better performing players. I guess if that means lock rather than 5/8 I could live with that.

Unsainty79

Juniors
Well i don't have high expectations for Jack next season but hope he surprises me as it will mean a better side. Also hope he doesn't become Hooks "norman " and gets in the way of better performing players. I guess if that means lock rather than 5/8 I could live with that.
He is training at lock. De Belin moving to front row. I think the 5/8 comment is more about he may have to play there if there is an injury or multiple injuries in a game.

Gareth67

First Grade

Unbelievable ! The bloke has only just finished his first season with the Big Red V ( whom took the risk after his 2 previous ACL injuries ) and the vultures are circling him already .

What really gets to me is that Griffin has assembled himself a team that will have a chance of getting into the end of seasons games in 2022 , yet before a ball is kicked other clubs are planning to undo his good recruitment by planning to pick our bones clean .

TruSaint

Referee
Unbelievable ! The bloke has only just finished his first season with the Big Red V ( whom took the risk after his 2 previous ACL injuries ) and the vultures are circling him already .

What really gets to me is that Griffin has assembled himself a team that will have a chance of getting into the end of seasons games in 2022 , yet before a ball is kicked other clubs are planning to undo his good recruitment by planning to pick our bones clean .

I agree, but I wouldnt blame the other clubs.
If he wants to stay he can earn it.

I see Sims is also a target of the Eels.

Dragon David

First Grade

As the saying goes Gareth, you can't keep them all. Bird had the best year in 2016 when he won a ring as a result of helping the Sharks win the grand final. He left them for "greener" pastures but had a lot of inconsistency with performance due to serious and long lasting injuries.

He put in for us quite alright last year but wasn't a world beater and many times made errors due to frustration. He will definitely be competing for a spot next year and if he wants to get a new contract or have another club sign him, he will need to impress much more than what he has so far shown and achieved.

TruSaint

Referee
As the saying goes Gareth, you can't keep them all. Bird had the best year in 2016 when he won a ring as a result of helping the Sharks win the grand final. He left them for "greener" pastures but had a lot of inconsistency with performance due to serious and long lasting injuries.

He put in for us quite alright last year but wasn't a world beater and many times made errors due to frustration. He will definitely be competing for a spot next year and if he wants to get a new contract or have another club sign him, he will need to impress much more than what he has so far shown and achieved.

Lets remember he's linked to the Dolphins, under Bennett ( who signed him on massive coin whilst at the Broncos).

Paying overs for a guy as @Gareth67 said with a injury history would be a step back.

possm

Coach
In my opinion, Bird was recruited to play left centre and maybe a five-eighth backup. Given we have Lomax and Suli as first choice centers and with Hunt, Amone, Sullivan, and Mbye all fighting it out for a spot in the halves, it may be the case that at the Dragons, Bird is going to push for a spot in the forwards.

No doubt, Bennett would play him in the centers.

thebigredv

First Grade
Bird is a good fill in centre, say if Suli misses a training session, or if an injury occurs. I'd also have Jack ahead of Mbye for a utility role and also a fill in for lock.

Gippsy

Bench
I think either Bird or Sims will leave, and the remaining one will be our edge backrower. Given age and form etc I'd be keeping Bird, but you never know, Sims might play out of his skin this season.

Latest posts