What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack De Belin

Status
Not open for further replies.

redv13

Bench
The jury in Jack’s trail retired to reach a verdict today so the decision should be known in the next day or so.

Personally as a player I always thought Jack was an outstanding player & his love for the jersey was always on show. But on moral grounds I’ve been undecided about him & have wondered if Jack deserved to be welcomed back.

But after the past few weeks & our terrible form I’m prepared to welcome him back with open arms. We desperately need him back.

I would drop Kerr to reggies to rediscover some form, Kerr has been woeful, keep Moose at 13 & play de Belin on an edge.
Mate at the end of the day whether he wears the red V or whatever I just want the right decision overall no matter either way. This saga needs to end for all parties involved

possm

Coach
Mate at the end of the day whether he wears the red V or whatever I just want the right decision overall no matter either way. This saga needs to end for all parties involved
Well the saga is nearly over and now it is up to the judge to finish her summary and the jury to make their decision.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed for a De Belin not guilty decision and a welcome back to the lock position in rotation with McGuire.

The Dragons really need him!

Old Timer

Coach
Well the saga is nearly over and now it is up to the judge to finish her summary and the jury to make their decision.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed for a De Belin not guilty decision and a welcome back to the lock position in rotation with McGuire.

The Dragons really need him!
Interesting post

You seem to be letting your football interests get in front of what is a highly charged emotional situation that requires people making a very important decision.

hewi

Bench
Not only very Important but IMO very complicated. This is no black and white case as the previous jury found.

Dragon David

First Grade
This is an article in The Australian written by Brent Read on 2 May 2021.
The article is reasonably large and I was able to get it by looking up Jack De Belin in my google search.
If you try this you might be lucky to get it. Otherwise if not, let me know and I will summarise the article.

David Wilson

Juniors
Jack De Belin was the only thing that footy had before it went soft. Now our only hope is Josh McGuire and Russel Packer.

All i can say is that footy has gone soft. all we need is a bitta mungrel and a bitta biffo. Always a hard yakka to discuss

Old Timer

Coach
This is an article in The Australian written by Brent Read on 2 May 2021.
The article is reasonably large and I was able to get it by looking up Jack De Belin in my google search.
If you try this you might be lucky to get it. Otherwise if not, let me know and I will summarise the article.
Can you please summarise for us as it is behind a paywall

TruSaint

Referee
Can you please summarise for us as it is behind a paywall

St George Illawarra officials gathered in their version of a war room recently to talk about their options when it came to suspended forward Jack de Belin.

What would they do if he was found not guilty of aggravated sexual assault charges? How would they handle a guilty charge? What would happen if the jury was once again unable to reach a verdict, leaving everyone in limbo?

Eventually, they threw their hands in the air and agreed they were wasting their time until his latest court case reached its conclusion.

That point is now seemingly only days away. The expectation is that a decision on de Belin will be rendered at some point this week, putting to bed more than two years of uncertainty for both he and the club.

The result will have ramifications beyond St George Illawarra. If de Belin avoids jail, the Dragons will likely end their search for forward reinforcements. One less club will be in the market for an elite player.

READ MORE:Rookie rampage: Young gun emerges as future great|Broncos CEO paves way for ‘return of a legend’|Manly star’s cheeky move on ex-teammate
If he is found guilty, a new player will emerge on the scene with money to spend and an appetite to use it. Suddenly, other clubs will be looking over their shoulder.

The Dragons have plan A and plan B. Plan C doesn’t bear thought – that is that the jury is unable to reach a unanimous verdict and the Dragons are forced to wait again while the Department of Public Prosecutions weighs up whether to roll the dice for a third time by having another trial.

In that situation, de Belin would remain in limbo and so would St George Illawarra because the no-fault stand-down policy would remain in effect.

De Belin would be unable to play while a third court case was a consideration. The hope for all concerned is that it comes to a conclusion this week.

The Dragons have been in talks with the NRL about how to handle the matter. In the event that he is found not guilty, he would be training again with the NRL squad almost immediately.

It would be a simple case of lodging some paperwork and having his contract registered with the NRL – he has been on a reduced deal while sidelined.

De Belin has been training with the NSW Cup side, coach Anthony Griffin and the club reaching the decision that it would be better to keep him removed from the first grade squad pending the outcome of his trial.

As well as his work with the NSW Cup side, he has been having regular sessions with the club’s high performance staff. Every physical challenge that he has been set, he has exceeded.

He has spent the past fortnight in a courtroom fighting for his future and he would no doubt need to get his hands back on the footy and spend some time in lower grades getting his timing back.

At the same time, his potential return would be a fillip for a Dragons side that has started the year better than anyone could have hoped.

Any return will need to be delicately handled by both the club and the NRL. De Belin will be an obvious target for rival supporters and the spotlight will be well and truly on him over the next month even if he is found not guilty.

The Dragons are entrenched in the top eight and they have avoided distractions to this point. They have recruited wisely and managed to avoid the sort of contract wrangles that have afflicted the likes of South Sydney and Brisbane.

By sending de Belin to train with the NSW Cup side, they have shown they are cognisant of the potential for his ongoing court battle to affect their season.

Griffin was asked whether it would be a relief to have the matter finally resolved. Relief, he said, was not the word he would use.

“It will come to an end – it will be an ending,” Griffin said.

“It will be significant for Jack obviously. As a club that is something we will make our decisions on what happens in court. It has been going on for a long time now.

“So one way or the other it will come to a head this week.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/977c6ffad96fcef3dd24ff9e233f98e3

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It would be unprecedented and totally unfair to put him thru a third trial. He must have spent half a million on barristers and lawyers already.
Let's not forget he's not the only person going through the trial. Plus the verdict hasn't been delivered yet.

And not unprecedented to see trial, retrials, appeals etc. Imo, the best thing is to just switch off and allow due process to do its thing.

Old Timer

Coach
It would be unprecedented and totally unfair to put him thru a third trial. He must have spent half a million on barristers and lawyers already.
Unfair for JDB you say surely justice should be served for all not just one?

The notion of fairness should never be quantified by $$$ spent.

Many of the challenges and outcomes we face in life are as a direct result of the decisions and choices we made ourselves.

Mjab

Juniors
was a good footballer

whatever the outcome , I have a very low opinion of the guy over these events doing that with a pregnant wife

lots of similar dumb arse footballers doing similar and worse as well currently and in the past that we know and dont know about. Generally a terrible entitled culture that these guys often have dragging down the genuine good guys that play

No excuse for the behaviour whether consensual or not

I do hope for everyones sake involved that a third trial is not required and people can move on in their lives

BLM01

First Grade
was a good footballer

whatever the outcome , I have a very low opinion of the guy over these events doing that with a pregnant wife

lots of similar dumb arse footballers doing similar and worse as well currently and in the past that we know and dont know about. Generally a terrible entitled culture that these guys often have dragging down the genuine good guys that play

No excuse for the behaviour whether consensual or not

I do hope for everyones sake involved that a third trial is not required and people can move on in their lives
It is not just footballs it is all walks of life and types of people that do this
it’s just the footballers and any criminal charges get high public notoriety
Speaking of criminal charges Hayne has his sentencing tomorrow I believe

SBD82

Coach
Speaking of criminal charges Hayne has his sentencing tomorrow I believe
Sentencing hearing. Defence and prosecution to make their submissions. Magistrate will still need time to consider the sentence.

Although he may or may not remand Hayne to custody until he hands down his sentence.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Let’s hope the correct decision is reached. The fact it’s dragged out this long shows how complicated it is. I couldn’t care less about actually getting Jack back I just hope innocent people aren’t sent to jail or a victim isn’t served justice.
Third day of deliberations completed without a verdict. Looking like another mistrial. Question will will be, will the Crown try again for a third time or give up
& drop the charges? If the charges are dropped rather than an innocent verdict what will the NRL will do?

Dragon David

First Grade
Third day of deliberations completed without a verdict. Looking like another mistrial. Question will will be, will the Crown try again for a third time or give up
& drop the charges? If the charges are dropped rather than an innocent verdict what will the NRL will do?
Yes, it will be interesting to see what the NRL will do if the charges are dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.