What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Wighton - Nightclub Fight (Still gets paid)

SDM

First Grade
Wighton is lucky he didn’t kill someone, Fifita could have had FJW on his wrist strapping tonight.

mozza91

Coach
It must be bad if he’s getting 10 weeks.

I do wonder if we’d see this big a suspension if one of Brisbane’s star players did the same thing?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Most raiders fans agree with the punishment or believe that it is too light from what I can see. He is damn lucky he didnt cause a serious injury. He is a pro athlete he has a responsibility not to go around belting people. I mean we all do but Jack gets paid (so he reminds us) to play a contact sport. He really could have hurt a normie

mave

Coach
Didn't Pearce get 8 weeks for public drunken buffoonery on Aust Day? Along with a $120k fine or so.
I dont recall him going around belting random strangers either.

Good old consistent NRL.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
LOL. Not in Murri Court.
Not in regular court either but don't let that stop you looking for a racist angle.

People don't go to jail unless it's murder, maiming or they are a recidivist.
Jail is a shit place for rehabilitation and they don't fill it up with first time offenders who are unlikely to be before the court again.

nick87

Coach
Yeah let’s not pretend he’d get jail time for this anywhere
Whether he should or not is a another question, I think those sorts of offenses are hopelessly under punished but that’s just what it is

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Didn't Pearce get 8 weeks for public drunken buffoonery on Aust Day? Along with a $120k fine or so.
I dont recall him going around belting random strangers either.

Good old consistent NRL.

roosters fans are going to bring it up until the end of time but its a fair point.

the nrl cares about their image. toddles pissing in his own mouth is weird but not illegal and that was the final straw for the nrl. High profile incidents caught on video where the player looks a bit weird will always cop an over the top punishment because the nrl is extremely image focused.

compare the punishment wighton got for strolling around canberra bashing people with guys picked up with a bit of coke or mdma. its pretty weak from that perspective too

adamkungl

Immortal
F*U. We left it to the clubs and that didn't work, what are the NRL supposed to do?

The rest of the season at least was always the right decision. F*k Jack.

Either let the clubs punish their own employees or don't.
Why dance around it with this bullshit.

I doubt many fans would kick up a stink if the NRL handled all issues of criminal charges.
Coaches and club bosses might but they wouldn't have any power to stop it.

TheFrog

Coach
This was handled badly. If the NRL is going to retain the right to overrule clubs it should be done privately, so all we hear is the end result. I suspect the NRL is trying to gain some brownie points in the media by publicly increasing the suspension like this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This was handled badly. If the NRL is going to retain the right to overrule clubs it should be done privately, so all we hear is the end result. I suspect the NRL is trying to gain some brownie points in the media by publicly increasing the suspension like this.

Tbf the club announced their punishment first, they should have consulted with the nrl first before announcing anything, nrl has right to override club if punishment is felt to be too lenient. As said unless the club is sacking the player leave it to the nrl to determine. Maybe they were waiting for the court proceedings to finish? If he got jail time you’d expect the nrl would have been even tougher.

The cynic might suggest the raiders were pushing nrl into a decision before the court punishment or videos leaked and made it even worse for him.

nick87

Coach

Quite the opposite
The nrl had made it clear privately they wouldn’t accept 6 matches

The club announced it, and then practically went on a press tour to justify it, the NRL rightly son’d them for it

It was handled badly, and all entirely on Stuart, Furner and mostly Hawke

Someguy

First Grade
Good on the NRL for taking this stance and lifting their game. Wasn’t long ago that a premiership contender(eventual winner)that was thin on outside backs had a player plead guilty then play the rest of the season and take the ban the next year.

Reactions: Vee