What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacob Selmes and Hutch in Biff!!

Inferno

Coach
The latest update from Foxsports

CRONULLA prop Hutch Maiava has been suspended indefinitely by the Sharks after decking a teammate at training yesterday.

Sharks lower-grade prop Jacob Selmes reportedly received 17 stitches to his face after he and Maiava became involved in a punch-up in the Cronulla gym.

It is understood the pair were playfighting during a weights session when Maiava threw a stronger punch, and only realised the damage he had done when he went to apologise to the bleeding Selmes.

Maiava, regarded by Sharks teammates as a gentle guy off the field, was immediately remorseful for his actions but was told to not attend training today.

Sharks coach Stuart Raper was last night deciding on a suitable penalty for Maiava, with club chief executive Steve Rogers currently on leave.

"There was a flare up of some sort and the club will deal with it appropriately," said Sharks football manager Greg Pierce.

"But it's not the first time over the years that teammates have got heated at training, at our club and every other club.

"There have been a few of these sorts of things.

"I'm sure Stuart will have it sorted out by [today]."

Selmes is a former captain of the Cronulla Jersey Flegg side, and the club believe he will be a future first grade front-rower alongside Maiava.

Though the incident could - at worst - cost Maiava his contract at the club, it is highly unlikely the big Kiwi will face the sack given the Sharks are already struggling for props following Jason Stevens' and Danny Nutley's departures.

On top of this Maiava is well regarded by the Sharks hierarchy after joining the club from Canterbury last season.

The 29-year-old impressed Cronulla officials when, after verbally agreeing to join the club, he turned down a late Bulldogs push to keep him with more money.

Dreadlocked Maiava quickly became a cult hero for Sharks fans.

Not that much in it seems.

ROFL, as if suspending him from training is a punishment. If it was an accident it should be business as usual.

So now we have heard the clubs reason of what happened, it was a muck around and gone wrong, so why then suspend Maivia, if both players mucking around.

What we need to find out is the real story, and it will come to the surface through the forum, sideline eye where are you, we need to find out what really happened.

Inferno

Coach
lol, fresh off the Fox Sports site I have found myself a new Avatar.

Im sure Ima will approve;-)

Sharkie™

Juniors
I hope hutch doesnt leave. it will be a big loss because im a huge fan. but from the look of that article it was nothing malicious but to hit a guy hard enough to give him 20 stitches makes me ask what play boxing were they doing. talk about ripping into training.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I reckon they must be playing 'wait and see'. The coaches need to provide an accurate account of what occurred to the board. Are there any legal issues to ponder? The board will make one of their famous decisions.

Sideline Eye

Juniors
The forwards were working together in the gym and talking as usual. Selmes said something not out of the ordinary and Hutch just clicked. Punched him 3 times, broke his nose and cut him open requiring 17 stitches. No coaches were there but the conditioner, Trent, told Hutch to get out of there. Apparently Hutch as soon as Selmes went down, couldn't apoligise enough, I don't think he realised he had clicked and what he'd actually done.

fizman

Bench
Again MANY MANY thanks SLE. Honestly, if the young fella accepts the apology and it was a one off, I would like to see things back to business as usual.

carcharias

Immortal
Ah who hasn't clobbered someone at work?

He probably hit him for looking too much like KD Lang.

from the daily Tele

Shark decked
By IAIN PAYTEN

December 16, 2005

CRONULLA prop Hutch Maiava has been suspended indefinitely by the Sharks after decking a teammate at training yesterday.

Sharks lower-grade prop Jacob Selmes reportedly received 17 stitches to his face after he and Maiava became involved in a punch-up in the Cronulla gym.

It is understood the pair were playfighting during a weights session when Maiava threw a stronger punch, and only realised the damage he had done when he went to apologise to the bleeding Selmes.

Maiava, regarded by Sharks teammates as a gentle guy off the field, was immediately remorseful for his actions but was told to not attend training today.

Sharks coach Stuart Raper was last night deciding on a suitable penalty for Maiava, with club chief executive Steve Rogers currently on leave.

skeepe

Immortal
Hey if you guys don't want Hutch I'm sure the Raiders will be quite happy to take him off your hands...

Williams, Lomu and Hutch... talk about impact!

Sharkie™

Juniors
fizman said:
Again MANY MANY thanks SLE. Honestly, if the young fella accepts the apology and it was a one off, I would like to see things back to business as usual.

i have to agree, if hutch's apology is accepted he should be given a second chance no questions asked, because he did show remorse and realised how bad a thing that he had done. i cant see him being a bad person its just he might have a short fuse and can lose it easily.

wittyfan

Referee
skeepe said:
Hey if you guys don't want Hutch I'm sure the Raiders will be quite happy to take him off your hands...

Williams, Lomu and Hutch... talk about impact!

An impact of a large, soft sponge.

Quigs

Immortal
Fire in our Bellies........I'm excited.

Don't go reaching for the politcally correct fire extinguishers just yet. Lets wait and see what happens.

What happens in the weights room should stay in the weights room I reckon

My only fear is that they might of peaked too early.

From what Ive read hear so far my major concern is having a conditioner called "trent"

Cheers
Quigs

Quigs said:
Fire in our Bellies........I'm excited.

Don't go reaching for the politcally correct fire extinguishers just yet. Lets wait and see what happens.

What happens in the weights room should stay in the weights room I reckon

My only fear is that they might of peaked too early.

From what Ive read hear so far my major concern is having a conditioner called "trent"

I can't help but agree with everything you've said Quigs - particularly the Trent comment.

koslecki

Juniors
cronulla riots, text messages and in fighting at the sharks...................and thompson has only been there 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_sharks

Juniors
I've got into a few fights in my time, got six stiches once and blood was pissing out everywhere. 20 odd stitches is a helluva lot of damage!

Nuffs

Bench
he just clicked it??
f*ck me.

and i'm a big fan of selmes. also of hutch. but given the choice, i'd go for selmes for sure
if hutch stays i wonder what selmes thinks of it

Latest posts