What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham

Gareth67

First Grade
For sure. Always going to be happy to see him do well. Still think walmsley would be a real get though. If only we had some buying power

There was a rumor doing the rounds a few years earlier that he would be signing with the Dragons , but apparently the fellow had second thoughts and signed on with St.Helens .

getsmarty

Immortal
grahanj-180616-gp-01-.jpg

NRL NEWS

Graham hanging up boots as one of league's true iron men
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Thu 29 Oct 2020, 09:37 AM

James Graham has announced he will be retiring at the end of the Super League season, bringing down the curtain on a career of nearly 500 games at the top level.

The former Canterbury and St George Illawarra forward, who left the NRL midway through the season to return to St Helens, has announced his intention to call it a day at the end of their Super League campaign.

With 181 games in the Telstra Premiership, coupled with 234 in the UK and more than 50 appearances for England and Great Britain in the international arena, the 35-year-old has proved to be one of the sport’s true iron man over nearly two decades at the top level.

The Man of Steel winner in 2008, he was also twice named international prop of the year and won the Dally M award for front-rowers in 2012.

"When I first came back to Saints I said I was coming back with one last all-in push for a season. Since that time nothing’s really changed there in my mind with that so now’s the right time to really focus in on the end of the season with this group," he said in his farewell post on social media.

:speaking_head:️ CONFIRMED: James Graham reveals he will hang up his boots at the end of the current @SuperLeague season. :disappointed_relieved: pic.twitter.com/21A5bjxpNs

— St.Helens R.F.C. (@Saints1890) October 28, 2020
"I’ll be calling it a day and hanging up the boots once this season is finished.

"I’m just really looking forward to these next four weeks and the opportunity, and hopefully taking that opportunity when the time’s right with this group here."

remote.axd

Retiree reflections: James Graham

Graham played 135 games for the Bulldogs from 2012-17, including two grand final appearances, before switching to the Dragons where he racked up another 51 NRL appearances.

He was one of several stars that received a tribute on NRL grand final day last Sunday.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/29/graham-hanging-up-boots-as-one-of-leagues-true-iron-men/

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm wishing James Graham all the best in the 2020 Super League Grand Final for St Helens against Wigan. St Helens has beaten the Catalans Dragons 48-2 in the preliminary final with Wigan beating Hull FC 29-2.

Unfortunately for Graham he suffered another knock to his head and went off early in the game. Hopefully he will pass a series of head tests so that he can play and win in the Grand Final and end his rugby league career on a high note .

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'm wishing James Graham all the best in the 2020 Super League Grand Final for St Helens against Wigan. St Helens has beaten the Catalans Dragons 48-2 in the preliminary final with Wigan beating Hull FC 29-2.

Unfortunately for Graham he suffered another knock to his head and went off early in the game. Hopefully he will pass a series of head tests so that he can play and win in the Grand Final and end his rugby league career on a high note .
Hopefully he gets the W, shame he couldn’t with us. At least one red V team can win finals. I’ve always supported St Helens for obvious reasons.

getsmarty

Immortal
sw06_sthelens-catalans.jpg

DRAGONS

How last-minute reprieve saved Graham's Super League sign-off
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 27 Nov 2020, 12:11 PM
walterbrad-head.png

It not for some last-minute scrambling to appease government officials, James Graham's swansong with St Helens may never have been.

Graham, who will play the last match of a stellar career for St Helens against arch-rivals Wigan in Saturday morning's (AEDT) Super League grand final, had his first plea to return to England to end his career knocked back by authorities following COVID-19 protocols.

"Australia has got very strict rules about who can and can’t leave the country [due to COVID-19], and rightly so because they seem to be managing it better than most countries," Graham told NRL.com.

"I got an email on the Thursday before the Monday that I was due to fly out saying my application to leave had been rejected.

"As you could probably imagine I was in a mass panic and it was pretty stressful trying to get my application re-done and processed in time to get on that flight.

remote.axd

Farah and Kimmorley praise James Graham's stellar NRL career

"There was no explanation so I sent every little bit of information explaining why I was wanting to leave in my next application and thankfully it was approved at 2pm on the Monday."

A few hours later, Graham was on his way to England for the final chapter of an illustrious 18-year career that began at St Helens in 2003 and will conclude with his 237th appearance for Saints in this weekend’s grand final at Hull's KC Stadium.

Along the way, Graham has played 421 matches in Super League and the NRL, including 135 for Canterbury from 2012 to 2017 and 51 for St George Illawarra between 2018 and this season's round six clash with Gold Coast on June 20.

I got an email ... saying my application to leave had been rejected

St Helens prop James Graham
The 35-year-old Liverpool born prop has also played 50 Tests (41 for England and nine for Great Britain).

The only current players with more appearances are Cameron Smith, Wigan captain Sean O’Loughlin and his St Helens counterpart James Roby.

Smith has played 430 premiership matches with Melbourne Storm, 56 Tests for Australia and 42 State of Origins for Queensland, while Roby has played 465 matches for Saints and 37 Tests for England and Great Britain.

Like Graham, O’Loughlin will bow out in the grand final, which will be his 458th appearance for Wigan. O'Loughlin has also played 33 Tests for England and Great Britain, many as captain.

"He is an absolute legend of Wigan and he is held in such high regard there," Graham said of O’Loughlin.

"You look at what he has done at that club, with so many famous names especially from that 1990s era - when they had so many legends - and he is held in the same regard as them.

grahamj_2nh_8318.jpg

Dragons prop James Graham. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
"Personally, I hold him in such high regard too, in terms that I have played with him and he has been my captain. He has had a fantastic career and I have admired him from afar."

The rivalry between St Helens and Wigan is 125 years old and the two clubs have dominated the Super League era, with Saints having featured in 11 previous grand finals and the Warriors in 10.

Graham will be lining up for his ninth grand final but he has not been on the winning team since his first with St Helens in 2006.

Graham celebrated that triumph with was Roby, who will line-up alongside him for one final time on Friday night (7am Saturday, AEDT).

"It has been a strange year for everyone and for me personally, to finish my career with the team where it all began at 11 years-of-age, where I came through academy systems and got on the first team, I feel very fortunate.

"James Roby and I were in the same age group growing up and we played against each other as kids, and together for one year at our amateur club before coming through the system together at St Helens, so to play alongside him again from week to week has been fantastic."

remote.axd

Graham had initially planned to return to England in 2021 for a farewell season with Saints but the uncertainty caused by COVID-19 fast-tracked those plans - and his retirement.

"It’s been a strange year, it really has, with the way things were at the Dragons, where the season wasn’t going to plan," he said.

"I made a decision that this year was going to be my last [in the NRL] and I had been speaking to St Helens about possibly coming over for next season but I had resigned myself to the fact it wasn’t going to happen.

"Then when Luke Thompson got an early release to head to Canterbury there was a spot available at Saints and it was now or never. I was very grateful to the Dragons for letting me pursue that."

Graham is credited with changing the way front-rowers play and when he reached the milestone of 400 premiership matches last season, former team-mates were more than enthusiastic to sing his praises for a tribute.

Most who have played alongside or worked with Graham at St Helens, Canterbury or St George Illawarra would agree he deserves to finish with a premiership given the whole-hearted effort the front-rower has put in each week for 18 seasons.

However, history – including grand final defeats with the Bulldogs in 2012 and 2014 – have taught Graham to enjoy the occasion and focus on his performance.

"I am genuinely not thinking about that. All I can do is concentrate on the little things I can affect and by doing that we will give ourselves an opportunity to win," Graham said.

"Saints-Wigan derbies are always special games to play in and it will be two quality teams going up against each other with everything on the line so it has got all the ingredients for a classic."

The Super League grand final kicks off at 7am AEDT Saturday and will be broadcast on Fox Sports and Kayo, with coverage beginning at 6am AEDT.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...reprieve-saved-grahams-super-league-sign-off/

Gareth67

First Grade
sw06_sthelens-catalans.jpg

DRAGONS

How last-minute reprieve saved Graham's Super League sign-off
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 27 Nov 2020, 12:11 PM
walterbrad-head.png

It not for some last-minute scrambling to appease government officials, James Graham's swansong with St Helens may never have been.

Graham, who will play the last match of a stellar career for St Helens against arch-rivals Wigan in Saturday morning's (AEDT) Super League grand final, had his first plea to return to England to end his career knocked back by authorities following COVID-19 protocols.

"Australia has got very strict rules about who can and can’t leave the country [due to COVID-19], and rightly so because they seem to be managing it better than most countries," Graham told NRL.com.

"I got an email on the Thursday before the Monday that I was due to fly out saying my application to leave had been rejected.

"As you could probably imagine I was in a mass panic and it was pretty stressful trying to get my application re-done and processed in time to get on that flight.

remote.axd

"There was no explanation so I sent every little bit of information explaining why I was wanting to leave in my next application and thankfully it was approved at 2pm on the Monday."

A few hours later, Graham was on his way to England for the final chapter of an illustrious 18-year career that began at St Helens in 2003 and will conclude with his 237th appearance for Saints in this weekend’s grand final at Hull's KC Stadium.

Along the way, Graham has played 421 matches in Super League and the NRL, including 135 for Canterbury from 2012 to 2017 and 51 for St George Illawarra between 2018 and this season's round six clash with Gold Coast on June 20.

I got an email ... saying my application to leave had been rejected

St Helens prop James Graham
The 35-year-old Liverpool born prop has also played 50 Tests (41 for England and nine for Great Britain).

The only current players with more appearances are Cameron Smith, Wigan captain Sean O’Loughlin and his St Helens counterpart James Roby.

Smith has played 430 premiership matches with Melbourne Storm, 56 Tests for Australia and 42 State of Origins for Queensland, while Roby has played 465 matches for Saints and 37 Tests for England and Great Britain.

Like Graham, O’Loughlin will bow out in the grand final, which will be his 458th appearance for Wigan. O'Loughlin has also played 33 Tests for England and Great Britain, many as captain.

"He is an absolute legend of Wigan and he is held in such high regard there," Graham said of O’Loughlin.

"You look at what he has done at that club, with so many famous names especially from that 1990s era - when they had so many legends - and he is held in the same regard as them.

grahamj_2nh_8318.jpg

Dragons prop James Graham. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
"Personally, I hold him in such high regard too, in terms that I have played with him and he has been my captain. He has had a fantastic career and I have admired him from afar."

The rivalry between St Helens and Wigan is 125 years old and the two clubs have dominated the Super League era, with Saints having featured in 11 previous grand finals and the Warriors in 10.

Graham will be lining up for his ninth grand final but he has not been on the winning team since his first with St Helens in 2006.

Graham celebrated that triumph with was Roby, who will line-up alongside him for one final time on Friday night (7am Saturday, AEDT).

"It has been a strange year for everyone and for me personally, to finish my career with the team where it all began at 11 years-of-age, where I came through academy systems and got on the first team, I feel very fortunate.

"James Roby and I were in the same age group growing up and we played against each other as kids, and together for one year at our amateur club before coming through the system together at St Helens, so to play alongside him again from week to week has been fantastic."

remote.axd

Graham had initially planned to return to England in 2021 for a farewell season with Saints but the uncertainty caused by COVID-19 fast-tracked those plans - and his retirement.

"It’s been a strange year, it really has, with the way things were at the Dragons, where the season wasn’t going to plan," he said.

"I made a decision that this year was going to be my last [in the NRL] and I had been speaking to St Helens about possibly coming over for next season but I had resigned myself to the fact it wasn’t going to happen.

"Then when Luke Thompson got an early release to head to Canterbury there was a spot available at Saints and it was now or never. I was very grateful to the Dragons for letting me pursue that."

Graham is credited with changing the way front-rowers play and when he reached the milestone of 400 premiership matches last season, former team-mates were more than enthusiastic to sing his praises for a tribute.

Most who have played alongside or worked with Graham at St Helens, Canterbury or St George Illawarra would agree he deserves to finish with a premiership given the whole-hearted effort the front-rower has put in each week for 18 seasons.

However, history – including grand final defeats with the Bulldogs in 2012 and 2014 – have taught Graham to enjoy the occasion and focus on his performance.

"I am genuinely not thinking about that. All I can do is concentrate on the little things I can affect and by doing that we will give ourselves an opportunity to win," Graham said.

"Saints-Wigan derbies are always special games to play in and it will be two quality teams going up against each other with everything on the line so it has got all the ingredients for a classic."

The Super League grand final kicks off at 7am AEDT Saturday and will be broadcast on Fox Sports and Kayo, with coverage beginning at 6am AEDT.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...reprieve-saved-grahams-super-league-sign-off/

If there are truly any footy gods in footy heaven , then they should grant this genuine warrior of rugby league his fondest wish - a premiership . If any player deserves a premiership then it is this man , one who gives the game his all .

Best of luck Jimmy !

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
If there truly are any footy gods in footy heaven , then they should grant this true warrior of rugby league his fondest wish - a premiership . If any player deserves a premiership then it is this man , one who gives the game his all .

Best of luck Jimmy !
This 100%. If ever a bloke deserves to go out with a premiership it's Jammer. One last game to look forward to in 2020 and then onwards and upwards for the Red V in 2021.

getsmarty

Immortal
Graham gets his fairytale finish as St Helens claim Super League GF with insane final play
Super League
darcie_mcdonald.jpg

• November 28, 2020 10:15am
  • Darcie McDonald
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
a17020db465f2d6620d8393e4a70e415

St Helens win the 2020 Super League grand final. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Rugby league great James Graham has gotten his fairytale ending with St Helens winning the Super League grand final in a mind-blowing finish right on the final hooter.
St Helens, now back-to-back premiers for the third time in the club’s history, held a 2-nil lead for most of the match before Wigan finally scored the first try of the game in the 65th minute. Zak Hardaker couldn’t convert.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Wigan half and ex-NRL star Jackson Hastings was penalised for a high tackle in the 74th minute. Former North Queensland Cowboy Lachlan Coote kicked a penalty goal for Saints to level up scores 4-all.

With two minutes to go Hardaker had another chance to take the lead with a penalty goal from 55 metres out but it was just short.

As the clocked ticked down it looked like the game was going to golden point — the first time ever in a Super League grand final.

Then on the final siren, St Helen’s half Tommy Makinson attempted a drop goal. It hit the upright but before Wigan fullback and ex-NRL star Bevan French could catch the ball, Jack Welsby — the youngest player on the field — came out of no where to grab the ball and put it down within inches of the touch line.

It was sent to the video referee and came back a try. St Helen’s won the grand final.

Graham was overcome with emotions as the curtain fell on his 18-year career. It was his 237th appearance for St Helen’s, taking his total number of top level rugby league games to 422. He played in two NRL grand finals with the Bulldogs but unfortunately didn’t win either of those. However he’s retired with now two Super League premierships.

“If you read about it in the papers you’d think it was a cartoon... unbelievable. You couldn’t have scripted it for us,” he said after the match.

“I’m just overwhelmed, I’m genuinely moved, I’m lost for words.

“I just want to say I’m gutted we can’t celebrate with the fans and our friends and our family but we’ll have our time. But just thanks to my family for all you’ve done for me and thanks to the fans... it’s been an honour to play for Saints.”

Wigan’s Sean O’Loughlin also officially hung up the boots following the grand final after 453 games over 19 years.

St Helens captain James Roby won the Harry Sunderland trophy for best on field after a mammoth defensive effort with 60 tackles.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/su...y/news-story/62a21619fe6e9c616d31a8521512595f

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Great to see him go out with a title.. Shame it wasn’t with us..

On another note, anyone else find the ESL more enjoyable to watch than NRL?

Yes, it’s less polished.. But that’s the appeal.. Nowhere near as robotic and predictable as the NRL..

blue bags

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/su...y/news-story/62a21619fe6e9c616d31a8521512595f
Graham gets his fairytale finish as St Helens claim Super League GF with insane final play
SUPER LEAGUE

darcie_mcdonald.jpg

• November 28, 2020 10:57am
  • DARCIE MCDONALD
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
a17020db465f2d6620d8393e4a70e415

Rugby league great James Graham has gotten his fairytale ending with St Helens winning the Super League grand final in a mind-blowing finish right on the final hooter.
St Helens, now back-to-back premiers for the third time in the club’s history, held a 2-nil lead for most of the match before Wigan finally scored the first try of the game in the 65th minute. Zak Hardaker couldn’t convert.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Wigan half and ex-NRL star Jackson Hastings was penalised for a high tackle in the 74th minute. Former North Queensland Cowboy Lachlan Coote kicked a penalty goal for Saints to level up scores 4-all.

With two minutes to go Hardaker had another chance to take the lead with a penalty goal from 55 metres out but it was just short.
It was sent to the video referee and came back a try. St Helen’s won the grand final.

Graham was overcome with emotions as the curtain fell on his 18-year career. It was his 237th appearance for St Helen’s, taking his total number of top level rugby league games to 422. He played in two NRL grand finals with the Bulldogs but unfortunately didn’t win either of those. However he’s retired with now two Super League premierships.

585064e0b07703388d3f2bcdeb8bfdbb

James Graham goes out a winner. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
“If you read about it in the papers you’d think it was a cartoon... unbelievable. You couldn’t have scripted it for us,” he said after the match.

“I’m just overwhelmed, I’m genuinely moved, I’m lost for words.

“I just want to say I’m gutted we can’t celebrate with the fans and our friends and our family but we’ll have our time. But just thanks to my family for all you’ve done for me and thanks to the fans... it’s been an honour to play for Saints.”

791346_640x360_large_20201128104332.jpg

Overwhelmed Graham retires

Wigan’s Sean O’Loughlin also officially hung up the boots following the grand final after 453 games over 19 years.

St Helens captain James Roby won the Harry Sunderland trophy for best on field after a mammoth defensive effort with 60 tackles.

Fans, pundits, players and ex-players were stunned by the sensational finish.

https://www.allgoodwedding.com/en/1...4Bg5XFDf0z-V2oi7yFFucUWFKHB7ky-I70eGdHgSCK80w

Gareth67

First Grade
Great to see him go out with a title.. Shame it wasn’t with us..

On another note, anyone else find the ESL more enjoyable to watch than NRL?

Yes, it’s less polished.. But that’s the appeal.. Nowhere near as robotic and predictable as the NRL..

Agree muzby , there are a number of NRL coaches who have a lot to answer for as to the decline in the overall enjoyment of the game in Australia .

The unfortunate aspect is that their ‘ defense orientated ‘ style of play had to be copied by all other clubs just to keep on level pegging with those who introduced it in the first instance .

That is why English forwards are so highly prized in the NRL , they have a skill-set that is based upon off loading the ball constantly , which in turn allows for a far more free flowing game , a rarity out here in the land of OZ .