What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James McManus agrees to new Newcastle Knights deal

perverse

Referee
Successful-troll-Is-Successful.jpg

Jono078

Referee
For the record I havn't forgotten what he offers us. I'm well aware of how solid he was the season he made his origin debut.

A part of what made him good back then also was his durability and dependability. I'm just asking the question... The 3 year contract is a bit of a risk for someone who has been injury prone lately. And people talking up his passion.. Go read the articles that were around last time he was off contract about how he was prepared to leave if Knights didn't offer him a good contract.

roopy

Referee
I loved that story Brian Smith told about the first thing that happened when he arrived at the club Jimmy wanted to talk to him, and asked him what he had to do to make firstgrade - so Smith told him, and Jimmy did it.
Every time we have asked Jimmy to learn a skill or do a job, he has done it.

He isn't the most gifted athlete ever, but if we had 17 guys as professional as Jimmy the coach could phone it in - he wouldn't be needed.

Joker's Wild

Coach
For the record I havn't forgotten what he offers us. I'm well aware of how solid he was the season he made his origin debut.

A part of what made him good back then also was his durability and dependability. I'm just asking the question... The 3 year contract is a bit of a risk for someone who has been injury prone lately. And people talking up his passion.. Go read the articles that were around last time he was off contract about how he was prepared to leave if Knights didn't offer him a good contract.

TBH mate I dont recall reading anything like this. You sure it was Jimmy, not another player? :?

perverse

Referee
I loved that story Brian Smith told about the first thing that happened when he arrived at the club Jimmy wanted to talk to him, and asked him what he had to do to make firstgrade - so Smith told him, and Jimmy did it.
Every time we have asked Jimmy to learn a skill or do a job, he has done it.

He isn't the most gifted athlete ever, but if we had 17 guys as professional as Jimmy the coach could phone it in - he wouldn't be needed.
i do like this about his character. hunger, determination and the courage to have a crack are his strongest assets.

sadly, i don't think it has rubbed off on the rest of the team. we do need more jimmys, in around the pack in particular, but anywhere on the field is certainly welcome.

im not disappointed with re-signing him, just surprised it came so early with other options signed/re-signed and lurking. it's not a wallet-busting deal i'm sure.

Jono078

Referee
TBH mate I dont recall reading anything like this. You sure it was Jimmy, not another player? :?
No, I'm very positive it was him. He wanted a good paying contract and was prepared to leave to get it.

Obviously he has said all the right things now though that he is re-signed.

Just wanted to remind those who I felt were targeting me with the "short memory" talk.

macavity

Referee
No, I'm very positive it was him. He wanted a good paying contract and was prepared to leave to get it.

Just wanted to remind those who I felt were targeting me with the "short memory" talk.

I don't remember this either.... I think you might have the same extraordinary memory my wife has - it is so good that you even remember things that never happened.....

Bring it home Knights

First Grade

Seems you guys are right, I tried to quickly search for that article, but it's just this one: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...manus+contract

So yeah I don't know what I remember reading now :?

Good to see you don't suffer from a short term memory :sarcasm:

Rusty

Juniors
Friendliest bunch of supporters we are, love the camaraderie lol

@ Jono078 appreciate the honesty lol.

On McManus, solid player but 3 years? :?

Last edited:

strewth_mate

Bench
The linked thread above has some mention of Tana Wulf in potential backlines for 2008. Don't remember hearing anything about him since - anything rate a mention?

Serc

First Grade
I am wondering if McManus would be on a more modest contract than some would expect given we have gotten very little use out of him in the past year and a half...in fact I daresay he has cost us a lot of money! But thats footy and I imagine he'd be fully aware of that.