What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James McManus agrees to new Newcastle Knights deal

Jono078

Referee
James McManus agrees to new Newcastle Knights deal to keep him at club until 2013

756720-james-mcmanus.jpg

Staying put ... James McManus will remain at the Knights. Source: Robert Mckell / News Limited

Newcastle Knights winger James McManus has signed a new contract with the Knights that will keep him at the NRL club until 2013.

"I love the town, I love the team and I am ecstatic that my fiancee Eshia and I get to stay here for the next three years,'' McManus said.
After a series of injuries limited him to just eight games in the 18 months following his 2009 NSW debut, McManus is fit and well prepared for the start of 2011.
"I spent six weeks in the off-season on the hills of King Edward park getting some miles under my legs.
"My body feels fit and healthy and I'm excited for what's to come in season 2011.''
Knights Coach Rick Stone was pleased to announce the re-signing of the 24-year-old Scottish born McManus.
"It is a massive boost for our club at this time of year, James sets the standards in attention to detail and work ethic and his success since he has been in first grade is just reward for his hard work,'' Stone said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1225971756367?from=public_rss
Out of all the re-signing we need to make, I'm not sure why this one has come first. I don't even know if it was deserved, 3 years to hang on to a solid winger who hasn't played much lately and would have got decent money since he's a rep player and all..

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Liam

Juniors
I've heard he's dropped some weight so I hope he might have regained some of his once blistering pace, even if he hasn't then I'm happy because as far as defence goes hes the best player in our backline other than Kids.

Frederick

Staff member
The Herald today is reporting that we've all but secured Kids for two more years too

macavity

Referee
He was quick - not blistering, but quick.

I think this is a suck it and see signing. (that sounded wrong)

Reads like Gids is keen for a stint in the SL to me.

RE McManus, with us signing him long term does this put the breaks on the Tahu signing?

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol Bad signing, how is that exactly?

The guy loves the club, trains the house down and is one of the most dependable outside backs we have. Im sure he isnt on big bickies so I fail to see how this could be bad for the club in any way.

People forget how good he was pre injury, his never going to be the guy on the backpage of the paper but every club needs your strong clubman and loyal players.

Rolla

Juniors
Seems like a good club man and a hard worker. As long as it is for average coin and he either improves a lot or is used as a backup i think it is good to have him around.

RHCP

Bench
RE McManus, with us signing him long term does this put the breaks on the Tahu signing?
That's what crossed my mind.

It's great to see a guy with such passion for the town and the team, good sort of player to have around the club. He may never be a world beater or the best winger in the game, but he's reliable and hard working and he'll always be welcome in my side.

Alex28

Coach
He didn't become an Origin player through being a poor player. We have to give the guy a chance to get that form back.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
He's always been one of our most consistent players until he played Origin..... Since the emergence of Uate and Vuna this year, It's like people have forgotten how good he really was for us.

This might be a big call, but I've never seen someone tackle so well 1 on 1 then McManus - The guy is a brick wall in D. When he's on song, his reads in D have probably won us a lot of games, I bet. Not only is he a very good defender, but he's very strong up top and the amount of metres he makes from dummy half really puts us on the front foot - The forwards will be loving this.

He's also very good in the air, probably even better then Aku (Vuna was very good too)

I like jimmy mac. If he can stay on the park and re-gain some form it will strengthen our potent backline immensly. If we have Jimmy partnered with sau, he could work hard to improve sau's defensive lapses, i think sau's defence will improve out of sight with macmanus's presence. Consistency is the key here though.

Bicey_18

Bench
The guy is a poor mans Covell, only difference is Covell can kick goals. Bad signing Knights, yet they dont go after quality players like Carl Webb and Dane Carlaw????? Money could have better spent..

Smoo

Juniors
The guy is a poor mans Covell, only difference is Covell can kick goals. Bad signing Knights, yet they dont go after quality players like Carl Webb and Dane Carlaw????? Money could have better spent..

LOL sorry your either trolling hardcore or you must be dropping some of wicksy's stash to think the above bolded players are better signings for the knights

Joker's Wild

Coach

lol Ya see, your mistake was you went too far calling Webb and Carlaw quality. You should have actually gone for 2 players that could have given you some credability but alas, you gave yourself away.

Poor form mate

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I hate to come on here to sound like a douche because I'm new here, but that is the most geniused comment I've read on a forum. Webb and Carlaw........nice one LOL. Calling McManus a poor mans Covell hits the icing on the cake though, I have to stay.

It was good for a laugh, I guess