What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James O'Connor

gUt

Coach
Ok, argue with this: compare the size of SBW with some of the All Black forwards when he was playing centre in union.

Now there are posters here saying he is around 191-3cms and around 108-110kgs. He looks like a midget comapred to some of the back 5.

It is not a sin to say that the average back rower in union is taller and heavier then a league forward. Different game, different skill requirements; but it is a fact.

Different skill requirements indeed. In league, forwards are required to do more than jump high occasionally and otherwise roll around in the mud and watch someone else kick goals.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Different skill requirements indeed. In league, forwards are required to do more than jump high occasionally and otherwise roll around in the mud and watch someone else kick goals.

Correct, but much bigger then the average league forward. :D

Ok, argue with this: compare the size of SBW with some of the All Black forwards when he was playing centre in union.

Now there are posters here saying he is around 191-3cms and around 108-110kgs. He looks like a midget comapred to some of the back 5.

It is not a sin to say that the average back rower in union is taller and heavier then a league forward. Different game, different skill requirements; but it is a fact.

All totally beside the point.

You still haven't provided one South African forward who is 20kg heavier than the heaviest RL player that O'Connor tackled.

You're a dribbler.

Back up your original statement with facts.

Last edited:
Correct, but much bigger then the average league forward. :D

Again diverting from your original statement.

20kg heavier than the heaviest RL forward.

You're a flat out liar.

So many (most) of your posts on these boards are filled with genuine garbage. You wouldn't know your head from your arse you talk so much sh*t.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Again diverting from your original statement.

20kg heavier than the heaviest RL forward.

You're a flat out liar.

So many (most) of your posts on these boards are filled with genuine garbage. You wouldn't know your head from your arse you talk so much sh*t.

Shut up, lard arse. :lol: You know I'm right.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I can't wait to see the mass exodus (see: fire sale) of all the Rugby players when Union inevitably goes under in Australia.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I can't wait to see the mass exodus (see: fire sale) of all the Rugby players when Union inevitably goes under in Australia.

It is not that far off; Oz rugby is on the verge of fall into the 2nd tier of rugby playing nations. The results on the European Spring Tour will either hasten or delay the inevitable.

Haha, that escalated quickly. So NO-ONE in League tackles around the legs.

GIF-Anchorman-Clip.gif

Relatively speaking, no.

Rugby League adheres to science and players by extension tackle much higher. Rugby union is still stuck in the dark ages where tackling down low, despite being scientifically redundant in most instances, is championed as good defence.

If anything, magpie was saying that he'd need to learn to tackle properly (ie, stop going low all the time)

No.

You said 20kgs over the biggest rugby league forward. Not the average.

And there are several guys around the 120kg mark.

So again I ask. Who may have O'Connor tackled who was over 140kg?

In fairness, there are a few players over 140kg in union if my memory is right.

Census Johnston is the best known big man I can think of and he weighs in at 138kg, supposedly.

Opeti Fonua plays in the Top 14 also and they reckon he's 150kg!

Have no idea about Super Rugby. Think Ben Tameifuna at the Chiefs is around 140?

Can carry much more timber in rugby than league.

Edit - don't know any 140kg South African players though

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Heaviest Test Player

168kg

Joeli Veitayaki (Fiji - 26st 6lbs/370lbs/168kg: at World Cup 2003 he weighed 136kg/21st 6lbs/300lbs)

150.6kg

Scott Murray (Scotland: 23st 10lbs/332lbs)

150kg

Craig Quinnell (Wales: 23st 9lbs/331lbs)

140kg

Billy Cavubati (Fiji: 22st 1 lbs/309lbs)

138kg

Rudie Visagie (South Africa: 21st 10lbs/304lbs)

138kg

Rui Cordeiro (Portugal: 21st 10-lbs/304lbs)

138kg

Olly Kohn (Wales: 21st 10-lbs/304 lbs)

137kg

Tony Buckley (Ireland: 21st 8-lbs/302lbs)

135kg

Census Johnston (Samoa: 21st 4-lbs/298lbs)

http://mobi.supersport.com/rugby/international/individualrecords

There is this

butchmcdick

Post Whore
For the record I can't see o'connor fitting in off the field ( despised by teammates and clubs alike in union) or on the field ( can't tackle and his decision making under pressure is shit).

At a pinch might make a winger but will be more Michael bani than Wendell Sailor

Joker's Wild

Coach
If the game had passed SBW by after missing 5 years, then what hope has JOC got when he's never even played the game!?

But I think BunniesMan is right on JOC. Not many people can see it, but he does.

Firstly, what evidence is there that RL passed SBW by in 5 years? He did all right from what I could see

Secondly, JOC has played RL before in his younger days. The game is hardly foreign to him

POPEYE

Coach
Williams is in the fortunate position of being fit enough and having the right proportions to grab just about any ring on the maypole, dare say he could sink a basket if he put his mind to it . . . the ability to attract paying onlookers his main attribute