What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

james segeyaro and other recruits

Big Mick

Referee
Pretty sure Dean Whare didn't come here to be a back up.

Also don't think Toby Evans or Kyle O'Donnell deserve a shot over Dayne Weston to start the season.

Big Mick

Referee
2014:
1. Matt Moylan, 2. Zac Mackay/Tony Satini/George Jennings, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Dean Whare, 5. James Roberts, 6. Lachlan Coote, 7. Harry Seijka/Jonothan Thurston, 8. Kyle O'Donnell, 9. James Segeyaro, 10. Tim Grant, 11. Sika Manu, 12. Vaipuna Tia-Kilifi, 13. Blake Austin
14. Lewis Brown, 15. Sam McKendry, 16. Matt Robinson, 17. Bryce Cartwright

Damn I'm looking forward to 2014 as well. lol. We're building something very special here if VTK, Cartwright, Seijka and some of the outside backs develop like we think they can. Not including guys like Smith etc who'll develop as well.

Big Mick

Referee
After 2014 with McKendry and Coote off-contract I can see us letting both go...maybe shifting Moylan to five-eight and bringing Keiran Moss in at FB or giving Watene a shot there.

Then at prop going with Hollis, Smith or someone like that.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
3. Michael Jennings
4. Dean Whare
5. James Roberts
6. Lachlan Coote
7. Luke Walsh/Harry Seijka
8. Dayne Weston
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Tim Grant
11. Lewis Brown
12. Sika Manu
13. Blake Austin

RES:
14. James Segeyaro
15. Sam McKendry
16. Matt Robinson
17. Vaipuna Tia-Kilifi

With guys like Kyle O'Donnell really pushing for a spot early on.

Agree 100% with that team. The only thing is Nathan Smith he plays he should start but who comes out? Even then bench it's hard to drop

maple_69

Bench
Haha Dale Moss strikes again Mick!

I like your side, but I'm positive we won't be trotting that out R1. Perhaps R10 we'll be looking more like that.

I'd say it'll look a bit like this:
1. Mansour 2. Whare 3. Jennings 4. Tighe 5. Naiqama 6. Coote 7. Walsh 8. Mckendry 9. Kingston 10. Grant 11. Brown 12. Manu 13. Plum 14. Segeyaro 15. Weston 16. Robinson 17. Newton

Hopefully over time Roberts, Moylan, Siejka, VTK, Austin, O'Donnell, Pangai and Latimore can force their way into the side.

franklin2323

Immortal
After 2014 with McKendry and Coote off-contract I can see us letting both go...maybe shifting Moylan to five-eight and bringing Keiran Moss in at FB or giving Watene a shot there.

Then at prop going with Hollis, Smith or someone like that.

Depends on the options. If Moylan goes well in the 1 or Siejka stands up yes if not we might keep him in the 6. He gets the PM's 13 number 6 so it's a chance to perform in a representative jersey

We look skinny in prop but Plum or O'Donnell can play there. Another year like this and he will be at Centrelink especially if someone proves to be as good for 1/4 of the price

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Haha Dale Moss strikes again Mick!

I like your side, but I'm positive we won't be trotting that out R1. Perhaps R10 we'll be looking more like that.

I'd say it'll look a bit like this:
1. Mansour 2. Whare 3. Jennings 4. Tighe 5. Naiqama 6. Coote 7. Walsh 8. Mckendry 9. Kingston 10. Grant 11. Brown 12. Manu 13. Plum 14. Segeyaro 15. Weston 16. Robinson 17. Newton

Hopefully over time Roberts, Moylan, Siejka, VTK, Austin, O'Donnell, Pangai and Latimore can force their way into the side.

Depends on the off season. Cleary has said he like ball playing fb. Which leaves Moylan the front runner. Roberts has played 5/8th in NYC but is better on the wing.

Moylan will be 100% come day 1 of pre-season. So it will come down to training. Depends where they play Whare. I rate him as a centre they might think he's a 1. Tighe and Walsh are certainities to be picked every week. So playing Whare at 1 gives Tighe his usual spot.

Big Mick

Referee
lol who is Dale Moss?

Happens all the time when i go between NFL forums and this one.

There is a WR on the Packers PS that is named Dale Moss. Really athletic, fast WR and I constantly get Keiran's name wrong. I don't know why...his nickname should be Dale. lol

maple_69

Bench
Depends on the off season. Cleary has said he like ball playing fb. Which leaves Moylan the front runner. Roberts has played 5/8th in NYC but is better on the wing.

Moylan will be 100% come day 1 of pre-season. So it will come down to training. Depends where they play Whare. I rate him as a centre they might think he's a 1. Tighe and Walsh are certainities to be picked every week. So playing Whare at 1 gives Tighe his usual spot.

I certainly hope we see Moylan at the back. Mansour needs to work on the high ball and offers just as much in his kick returns as he does from the wing. Whare is a centre for mine. I'd be interested to see where Manly fans saw him, but of the games I've seen him, his best have been at centre.

I just don't think Cleary will make wholesale changes, but bring players in throughout the season.

Roberts is having/had an op on his knee so it will probably rule him out for starting the year in first grade but he has to be there by halfway through the year

Spitty

Juniors
I think it's fair to say that the fullback position is Moylan's to loose. I can't see us moving Coote back there at least until we know what direction Seijka's going to take. I think the goal is to re-ignite Roberts career and I can't see us throwing him straight into FG above a strong club man like Moylan. Wes is an injury replacement. Whare is more likely to start at right centre and Mansour can't catch bombs. I think if Moyland trains well pre-season and is strong in the trials he'll get first shot.

Mansour and Jennings (if he' still with the club) will have the left side tied up and I think Whare and Tighe will get the chance to work together on the right.

I can't see the halves being anything other than Walsh and Coote. I think the plan for Seijka was to get his shoulder right so that he can have a full pre-season with the top squad then get him working at Windsor at the start of the season with a goal to use him in FG in halves or reserve hooker when required. I think long term they see him as our natural 5/8 with the view to push Coote back to fullback when Seijka's ready. But he's shown that he still needs a little longer before he's completely FG ready.

As for the forwards, the front row stays the same not much doubt about that. Sika will probably work the right edge and Robinson deserves first shot at the left edge. As for lock, I think Austin is the natural replacement for Lewis. A bit like Lewis in that he's big, strong with some finesse in his game. Needs to work on his off the ball work, but I think his future is in the backrow and a roving opportunity is what's best for him.

Bench. Obviously Segeyaro, Weston and Lewis Brown will be there. As for the 4th players it depends on who where playing and what Cleary wants. Plummy, Newton, Simpkins, Ciraldo and Smith are the obvious choices, depending on whether the Shack is still at the club. I think VTK will start the year with Windsor with a view to move him to FG part way through.

But as always it's a rare occasion in the NRL when you can put your best 17 on the park. So everyone will get a shot at some stage and hopefully the cream will rise to the top naturally.

Copperhead

Juniors
Roberts is having/had an op on his knee so it will probably rule him out for starting the year in first grade but he has to be there by halfway through the year

Roberts had knee surgery last off-season. Did he suffer another knee injury this year?

My apprentice plays 20's for manly and they are best mates. He told me about a week ago. I'll ask what the surgery is tomorrow

Latest posts