What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Lyon wants to play for the Eels again

El Diablo

Post Whore
walker smith said:
Consider, if you will, that Jamie's professed desire to return to Parra does not extend to next year but until 2007, by which time Smith will be gone....surely If Jamie is so motivated to return he would want to do so immediately, especially given that he remains contracted to the Eels and that his contract with St Helens effectively amounts to a contractual loan...

whenever anyone is about to hire an employee, the natural step is to ring the previous employer and ask if they would employ them again if given the chance. This process doesnt usually happen in rugby league, but here we have a scenario where the biggest deserter league has seen in recent professional memory will be desperate to find an australian club in seven months.

Is it inconceivable that Jamie's management has found merely the slightest resistance in the marketplace based upon his history and his likely inability to honour a contract due to his "unsettled" nature? I would say this is certainly what has happened. Which means his management must address this scandalous perception that their client is unsettled and unreliable....and what better way than to plant a full page interview in a mass circulation newspaper professing your love for your old club, the harmony with your old coach and the fact that you would love to go back if they would have you.....thus alerting all future negotiating clubs to the fact that you are not a bastard and that your old club would employ you again if possible as there are no problems!

Hes not coming back. Hes going north to either manly or the coast...this story was just designed to let everyone know that he is not a problem child but an accomodating nice bloke.

But i see thru you Jamie old son. If u want to come back that bad then come back NOW and prove your love by breaking your St helens agreement and honouring your EXISTING (and pre-existing) deal with Parra....and prove the harmony with Smith by coming back next year WHEN HE IS GUARANTEED TO STILL BE THERE (thats another pitiful rant for another day).

Come back now or keep walking north.

this could be true

but what if Parra went to the same newspaper and said we'll take you back?

walker smith

Juniors
Seriously, it just hurt too much last time with Jamie Lyon.

im not sure if we want a seven month "will he/wont he" odyssey.

Yet another reason that he comes back now or not at all....he at least should commit to Parra now and save evryone months of angst.

walker smith

Juniors
El Diablo said:
this could be true

i would love to see a headline tomorrow that says "We will take you back now".....what would the copperfield crew do then?

stuke

Bench
El Diablo said:
this could be true

exactly what i want them to do. put the onus back on him...'here we are, we are ready to take you back, so put or shut up'... or something very similiar.

if he is playing the media and our club again he very quickly and publicly looks like a fool, if he isn't we sign him up now.

yy_cheng

Coach
breaking your St helens agreement

I believe he would have a get out clause if he wanted to return to Australia. I remember reading that that was the norm for aussies plaing in SL.

The Colonel

Immortal
yy_cheng said:
I believe he would have a get out clause if he wanted to return to Australia. I remember reading that that was the norm for aussies plaing in SL.

Given the circumstances that surrounded his signing with St Helens I'd highly doubt that - unless it was only to return to the Eels.

forward pass

Coach
It was typical Daily Telecrap stuff.

The headline was very misleading - "I'll play for Eels again" Should have read "I'd play for the eels again"

He does seem to be backpedalling severely.

NorthShoreEel said:
I guess we will never know the truth, but, one rumour that I caught went along these lines:

*edit - these sort of rumours are best left off the forum particularly when discussing the person in question*

He can go get ...... as far as I am concerned. He was a big girl about the whole thing. Not the first bloke that this has happened too.

After only one year as centres, I think both Smithy and Tahu showed they will be the best centre pairing in the league.

They are going to kick some serious butt in 2006, and be the catalyst for our premiership win.

We dont need cry babies, we need some guys with ticker (and i believe they will find it next year! After all they have been missing it at crucial times in recent years)

Why should any rumour be left off in the forum, when they dont mention ANYONES names??? I have seen way more ASSUMED things than what was mentioned to me.

Funny, gives me the impression the rumour may be closer to the bone than I thought. There have been far worse, and they havent been edited? Not just about this topic either, may i say.

I think fans deserve more of the truth - instead of being fed total poppykok. After all, it is our money that keep these guys employed one way or another.

Can someone post that list of players off contract at the end of 2006 again please?

Avenger

Immortal
walker smith said:
Consider, if you will, that Jamie's professed desire to return to Parra does not extend to next year but until 2007, by which time Smith will be gone....surely If Jamie is so motivated to return he would want to do so immediately, especially given that he remains contracted to the Eels and that his contract with St Helens effectively amounts to a contractual loan...

whenever anyone is about to hire an employee, the natural step is to ring the previous employer and ask if they would employ them again if given the chance. This process doesnt usually happen in rugby league, but here we have a scenario where the biggest deserter league has seen in recent professional memory will be desperate to find an australian club in seven months.

Is it inconceivable that Jamie's management has found merely the slightest resistance in the marketplace based upon his history and his likely inability to honour a contract due to his "unsettled" nature? I would say this is certainly what has happened. Which means his management must address this scandalous perception that their client is unsettled and unreliable....and what better way than to plant a full page interview in a mass circulation newspaper professing your love for your old club, the harmony with your old coach and the fact that you would love to go back if they would have you.....thus alerting all future negotiating clubs to the fact that you are not a bastard and that your old club would employ you again if possible as there are no problems!

Hes not coming back. Hes going north to either manly or the coast...this story was just designed to let everyone know that he is not a problem child but an accomodating nice bloke.

But i see thru you Jamie old son. If u want to come back that bad then come back NOW and prove your love by breaking your St helens agreement and honouring your EXISTING (and pre-existing) deal with Parra....and prove the harmony with Smith by coming back next year WHEN HE IS GUARANTEED TO STILL BE THERE (thats another pitiful rant for another day).

Come back now or keep walking north.

The best response so far. This should be emailed to Lyon.

Well done walker smith.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I liken the whole Lyon saga to a love affair.

Imagine that Lyon was the woman/man of your dreams.

He/she cheats on you.

Now, statistics prove that the vast majority of people would forgive him/her because they are so in love.

And it's similar here - I for one would love him back because he is a magician on the field and he entertains me on the field.

Plus with him in our backline we'd be much, MUCH more potent that without him.

Think about it - the love of your life breaks your heart but then shows remorse. Would you take her/him back?

It's happened to me, and I did. And I can say I was never happier - until she had to move to the US for a job offer...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Lyon unlikely to return to NRL with Eels

November 7, 2005 - 4:19PM

Jamie Lyon has expressed his desire to return to Parramatta, but the NRL club is unlikely to roll out the red carpet for the former Kangaroo.

Lyon caused a sensation by walking out on the Eels after the first match of the 2004 season, citing a dislike for city life amid rumours he had fallen out with coach Brian Smith.

The 23-year-old's shock departure rocked the club and the Eels struggled in his absence, finishing the year in 12th place.

However Lyon, who was named English Super League's best player after guiding English club St Helens to the minor premiership, has expressed a desire to return to the Eels and make amends.

"If Parramatta will have me back, I'd love to play with them again," a homesick Lyon told The Sunday Telegraph.

"I must admit I miss playing with blokes like Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless."

But Cayless said there was little chance of the former Kangaroo again playing in the blue and gold following the acrimony over his departure.

"I think it's all just talk and I don't believe it really will happen," Cayless said on Monday.

"He made a decision and a lot of people were pretty upset with the way he did it.

"It was tough when Jamie left, he left us in the lurch and we struggled that season.

"That was the worst thing about it, he left at a time when we really needed him, we needed senior players.

"He never really said exactly why he did leave, I don't know what happened there.

"Obviously it was very disappointing but that's all in the past and there's no use holding any grudges.

"Whether he actually believes he'll come back to Parramatta, I'll believe it when it happens.

"If it happens, it happens, but if it doesn't I don't think we will be any worse off."

Despite the bitter split, Lyon, who scored 24 tries for the Saints last season, still holds a contract with Parramatta which expires at the end of next season.

The Eels, who offloaded exciting outside back Willie Tonga to the Bulldogs just prior to Lyon's departure, now have the centre position well covered following the addition of Australian three-quarter Timana Tahu to the squad last year, as well as the emergence of exciting rookie Ben Smith.

Asked if there was any chance of Lyon rejoining the side, Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said: "I have no comment to make except to say I was pleased to hear Jamie's comments in regard to him not having any problems with Brian Smith."

Cayless, who hasn't spoken to Lyon since he left, said his exit wasn't the only reason the Eels performed badly in 2004.

"You can't just blame Jamie, it's not one player," he said.

"We had a lot of injuries and we didn't have the depth to cover the injuries we had.

"We don't really talk about it too much, it was very tough. We were copping it from everywhere in the media, our fans really gave it to us.

"It just made the players stronger.

"The thing is, we have a couple of good centres at the moment.

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. That's what happened and we really found out what everyone was about."

© 2005 AAP
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Lyon-unlikely-to-return-to-NRL-with-Eels/2005/11/07/1131211993551.html?oneclick=true

seems he's not as liked as he thinks

My estimation of cayless just when up a notch well done.

"That was the worst thing about it, he left at a time when we really needed him, we needed senior players.

"The thing is, we have a couple of good centres at the moment.

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. That's what happened and we really found out what everyone was about."

So piss off Jamie u scum!!!

Hellsy

Immortal
Yup!! I'll go with Caylo's outlook as well!!
He was clear and to the point without letting the personal side of it come out

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm also right behind our captain with the comments, however I do find Fitzy's comment, strange indeed, which isn't unusual coming from a strange man I guess.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm not so sure. Cayless is obviously not openly against the move, not that I can see anyway, he's just disappointed with what Lyon did. And Fitzy's comment strikes me as an interesting one, where he said he was glad there's no rift between Lyon and Smithy. The fact is Lyon is the best centre in the world and if he is serious and signs a new contract with special clauses, such as if he walks out again we don't have to pay him a cent, and is willing to work his way back through premmies and do his penance there I'd be willing to welcome him back. Plus he's still under contract anyways so I'd much rather pay him to play for us, to be honest

Latest posts