What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrod Mullen picked as NSW halfback

perverse

Referee
VictorTheViking said:
True, but what good are two decent halves going to be if you have a sh*t team around them?
we don't have a sh*t team around them? i for one am overly satisfied with the team that has been named for NSW. our halves are our weakness. we're exercising one option for the future in game 1 this year.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
perverse said:
i can't believe anyone from NSW would condemn this kid because the selectors picked him. he could be our future and is one of the only hopes we have of stopping the thurston/lockyer/inglis + more onslaught over the next 5 - 10 years...

it is a bit early, but i really hope he has a blinder behind a real forward pack with talented players around him to set his doubters straight. this thread is pathetic. go give yourselves an uppercut and support the kid. if the NSW supporters don't support him, who is going to?

Mate I reckon people are sick to death of the "play for Knoughts play for NSW" crap.

Mullen is no better than Noddy, Gower, Orford, Monaghan, Head or Sherwin and that BS article that Anasta will mentor Mullen makes me wonder who the hell is gunna want that??? Anasta has never stepped up at a higher level than non top eight teams as opponents.

I can see why they went with Mullen but geez blooding a kid should wait till game 3 in a dead rubber and this reeks of desperation from the NSW selectors.

Raider_69

Post Whore
perverse said:
none of those are halfbacks.

but thanks for trying.

Origin requires a team of ability all around the park, this isnt club footy where a good set of halves will get you through alot of games. Especially with the depth QLD have, Mullen and Carney will be leading the charge along with Farah, thats their job as the hooker, and halves respectively, but they will be adiquately supported right across the board by the likes of Stewart, TLL, Hoffman, White, Gasnier, Creagh and plenty of others.

one of our only hopes indeed!
surely its too early in the arvo for ice bombs perverse?

perverse

Referee
BSB Raiderman said:
Mate I reckon people are sick to death of the "play for Knoughts play for NSW" crap.

Mullen is no better than Noddy, Gower, Orford, Monaghan, Head or Sherwin and that BS article that Anasta will mentor Mullen makes me wonder who the hell is gunna want that??? Anasta has never stepped up at a higher level than non top eight teams as opponents.

I can see why they went with Mullen but geez blooding a kid should wait till game 3 in a dead rubber and this reeks of desperation from the NSW selectors.
i knew it was a knights thing for most of you.

mullen is plenty better than orford and head... marginally better than sherwin (sherwins game is too limited.. what he does do he does very well), and a line ball at the moment with noddy and gower (they have previous origin experience) and monas has been playing out of his skin this year.

for me this year the halfback role will be shared between mullen, noddy and gower (assuming mullen will fail in game 1 as most of you seem to assume) with monas unlucky to miss out. the rest wont come close for good reason.

i agree that the anasta mentoring mullen article is a crock.

there's no reason why blooding a kid in game 1 is a bad idea. you argue that mullen doesn't deserve to be selected. i argue that he has equal right with any NSW halfback this year, and adding to that the selectors are hoping to see a star rise. if he doesn't then we'll see changes in game 2.

perverse

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Origin requires a team of ability all around the park, this isnt club footy where a good set of halves will get you through alot of games. Especially with the depth QLD have, Mullen and Carney will be leading the charge along with Farah, thats their job as the hooker, and halves respectively, but they will be adiquately supported right across the board by the likes of Stewart, TLL, Hoffman, White, Gasnier, Creagh and plenty of others.

one of our only hopes indeed!
surely its too early in the arvo for ice bombs perverse?
get some new material. do you actually think that's witty?

i just loooooove that you people can't deal with other peoples opinions. yes mullen and carney will have plenty of support in the surrounding team, but i am pointing out that we aren't even deficient in these positions now, there is no concern for the future. there are huge question marks over halfback and 5/8th. therefore mullen and carney are our shining hopes for the future, as we need them to step up more than any player in any other position.

Good on the selectors for taking the gamble, no doubt Buderus will be helping him out with everything, and hopefully he has a good game, he is a rare talent.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
perverse said:
i knew it was a knights thing for most of you.

mullen is plenty better than orford and head... marginally better than sherwin (sherwins game is too limited.. what he does do he does very well), and a line ball at the moment with noddy and gower (they have previos origin experience) and monas has been playing out of his skin this year.

for me this year the halfback role will be shared between mullen, noddy and gower (assuming mullen will fail in game 1 as most of you seem to assume) with monas unlucky to miss out. the rest wont come close for good reason.

i agree that the anasta mentoring mullen article is a crock.

there's no reason why blooding a kid in game 1 is a bad idea. you argue that mullen doesn't deserve to be selected. i argue that he has equal right with any NSW halfback this year, and adding to that the selectors are hoping to see a star rise. if he doesn't then we'll see changes in game 2.

I couldn't give 2 tosses about the knoughts but plenty of people do, I just wonder if he played for, for arguments sake a team in Lime green or black & grey, he'd get the same opportunities?

perverse

Referee
BSB Raiderman said:
I couldn't give 2 tosses about the knoughts but plenty of people do, I just wonder if he played for, for arguments sake a team in Lime green or black & grey, he'd get the same opportunities?
i would hope that he would. i hope carney gets a run at 5/8th over anasta soon too. NSW need to look to the future. anasta is a hack.

perverse

Referee
Marshall_magic said:
Remember what happened last time someone said that (Ritchie Williams)
hey if me saying anasta is a hack produces the goods out of him then NSW will be all the better for it.

until then.. hack.

You would think a 20 yr old kid like mullen would be getting all the support he can get from NSW fans.

I wouldn't even call you guys fans.

To hope that he has a bad game.. wtf?

I am a QLD supporter and i hope he has a blinder.

Why blood someone like orford or sherwin, they are old and dont have the X factor needed. You need to blood them young. Joey played his first origin game at just 21 and i think brad fittler was 19! Ben ikin played at just 18 and had an awesome origin career.

Good choice by NSW, they have seen the potential talent of mullen and bringing him in so young is going to make him a lot better in years to come.

Apey

Staff member
Yay :D

Good on him, hope he has a blinder.

I heard something about them looking for someone who will not completely run the show but someone who will perform at certain times in the game when needed. I think Mullen can do it :p

Best of luck to him!

Raider_69

Post Whore
perverse said:
get some new material. do you actually think that's witty?

i just loooooove that you people can't deal with other peoples opinions. yes mullen and carney will have plenty of support in the surrounding team, but i am pointing out that we aren't even deficient in these positions now, there is no concern for the future. there are huge question marks over halfback and 5/8th. therefore mullen and carney are our shining hopes for the future, as we need them to step up more than any player in any other position.

Witty? No
Appropriate? yes

and yes we are deficient in these positions, we've got a bloke who has always struggled to step up to rep level and another promoted well before he deserves it on the back of a media bandwagon sinces John's retirement.

perverse

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Witty? No
Appropriate? yes

and yes we are deficient in these positions, we've got a bloke who has always struggled to step up to rep level and another promoted well before he deserves it on the back of a media bandwagon sinces John's retirement.
lol appropriate because my opinion differs from your almighty word. get off your high horse.

mullen has played well for the knights in an extremely high pressure position. this, in my opinion, justifies his selection. you can think otherwise all you like, but making stupid "ice bomb" comments gets you nowhere - because the selectors went in my direction, not yours. mullens game against the warriors (i.e our game before the blues selection) was an exceptional game.

how about dealing with the issue rather than attacking the person?

Latest posts