What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne

forward pass

Coach
yy_cheng said:
Hurri stats man, Have you every seen Hayne drop a pass or knock on in 1st grade. He seems dead safe.

He had a shocker against Saints when he failed to ground the ball for a try.

Apart from that he has been sensational!

Stagger eel

Staff member
caylo said:
yep i agree... alot of people have compared him 2 inglus and hunt, but i think these 2 players can be heart attack material with some of their choices, when they come off they are brilliant but if they dont they can give the opposition good feild posstion. i think hayne makes better choices somtimes, like when to head back infeild and when 2 take on his outside man, or when 2 go for the intercept and when to come in for the cover defence. i actually think both hayne and williams read the defence better than grothe, williams id say is similar to hayne in reading the defence, but he lacks the flar of hayne

Hayne is not in the same class as Inglis and Hunt, he may be there within 12 months but not now.

forward pass said:

Did you notice how he got the ball down for the try off Dean Widders kick.... by grounding it with 2 hands. He has learnt his lesson.

Guys if you think his this good now. Wait till he plays Fullback. His natural position. He only ever started to play wing last year when he went into the Flegg side. When he plays Fullback he is even better.

Angry_eel

First Grade
forward pass said:

oh ye, two hand jarryd. hasn't forgotten that since.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I must say though that Reddy played quite well at fullback in Premier League. I think he is on the way back to the good form he had last year. Hayne is very good on the flank, I would be hesitant to move him.

Hurriflatch

Referee
On the Dragons game - I wasn't at the game and only saw 1 replay of it but honestly from what I saw of it I've seen worse groundings given tries.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
His tries were very, very good, his positioning is brilliant but IMO the most amazing part of his game on Saturday night was the infield kick for the Morris first try.To kick in one direction while running the other direction with the accuracy to land the ball where he did was UNBELIEVABLE. The kid has got something special.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Hayne also put in a good kick in similar position against Canberra there wasn't a try but he did force the drop-out

HayneHindi

Juniors
Seeing that he can kick a ball like that what is his chances later down the track that they might move him to 5/8 if we can not find any one.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I don't think he is a 5/8th at all. With his positioning and his evasive skills he is a completely natural fullback who can play wing. I am not even sure if he has a good passing game. We don't want to move him as he will be our long term fullback

Suitman

Post Whore
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
I don't think he is a 5/8th at all. With his positioning and his evasive skills he is a completely natural fullback who can play wing. I am not even sure if he has a good passing game. We don't want to move him as he will be our long term fullback

That is the only position I want to see him play. He is a born fullback.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
i can see he'd be a great fullback - but does anyone fear he may infact be less effective there? ...
- he'll be pounded in gang tackles bringing the ball back from kicks ... on the wing u get far less of a bashing
- he seems to be an oustanding finisher on the wing ... can take a high ball over his opponent in a 1-on-1 jump ... can find hte corner on an overlap

anyway - i think he's a good fullback - just thinking too much i guess

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
i can see he'd be a great fullback - but does anyone fear he may infact be less effective there? ...
- he'll be pounded in gang tackles bringing the ball back from kicks ... on the wing u get far less of a bashing
- he seems to be an oustanding finisher on the wing ... can take a high ball over his opponent in a 1-on-1 jump ... can find hte corner on an overlap

Excellent, valid points raised there Strides.

I suppose we'll never know how good he could be at fulback until he is given a go.

Suity

Hurriflatch

Referee
If you watch the Knights game there were a few kick returns when Hayne was collared by 2 or even 3 Knights playersd but still had leg drive and made an extra metre or two.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
If you watch the Knights game there were a few kick returns when Hayne was collared by 2 or even 3 Knights playersd but still had leg drive and made an extra metre or two.

I agree he is much better at making metres once he is caught than Wade or Burt. But I think he would be wasted at fullback. Get him outside Tahu and they would be a great attacking option.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
I agree he is much better at making metres once he is caught than Wade or Burt. But I think he would be wasted at fullback. Get him outside Tahu and they would be a great attacking option.

he could still run off tahu playing fullback, in fact I don't even think we've seen what thiskid is capable of doing if we put him back there permanantly, he's a roamer..he reads the game well and can sniff out a try from anywhere..he proved that the other night.

definitely a fullback for the future,

The Ref in Seat 196 said:
You need to see more replays.

i think what hurri was implying is that it was a good effort, considering the conditions, and the fact it was one hand.

it was close, damn close. but not close enough. hardly a "shocker" as someone mentioned.

strider said:

yeah but with his vision and flair, i can see him working partnerships with anyone with an offload, and he'll carve em up. no question. added to that hes strong - can handle the gang tackles. and probably the safest under the high ball ive seen in a while (granted its only from 7 games)

as long as hes on the field i dont really care where he plays.

Latest posts