What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think the board have no choice, either them or MON work with Ryles or they are all gone. I’ve heard some bewildering stories since Bea finally got punted. If any are true it’s the biggest fluke of all time is making a GF let alone us making finals at all. We have been ridiculously under coached and the biggest tick for me with Ryles is is specifically bringing in an attack coach to up skill the players. That has been something seriously lacking at the club since Brian Smith.
I’d be amazed if the board is gone before JR is. If it comes down to a choice between the two it’s usually the coach that goes.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I’d be amazed if the board is gone before JR is. If it comes down to a choice between the two it’s usually the coach that goes.
The chairman is already gone next year, they are only allowed to be there to be moved on and the next merkin gets a go. Makes it also harder for Merkins like Fitzy and Spags to have any sort of say.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
A 30% Trent Barrett made us look like the Harlem Globetrotters in attack without a genuine 7.

No team scored more points in a game this year against Penrith then what we did at Commbank.

The way we played without Moses since origin has me more confident next year that we will surprise a few. We looked sharper with the ball then what we have looked for a long time.

We were severely undercoached and too comfortable in whatever roles the players had with the previous regime.
Our defence was pitiful though because our completion rate dropped. To be truly competitive we need to offer more in attack and significantly reduce the errors.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Right. So now you are just asking for one example, but you actually said “continually made excuses”.

I’ve been very consistent in my views on Parra. We are held back by our shit club management.
Yeah it was just the management lol, but poor Bea over came all that to get us to a GF. Our terrible management didn’t stop us putting a very strong squad into the field 2020-23. We won despite the inadequacies of the coaching staff.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yeah it was just the management lol, but poor Bea over came all that to get us to a GF. Our terrible management didn’t stop us putting a very strong squad into the field 2020-23. We won despite the inadequacies of the coaching staff.
I have been very critical of BA on multiple occasions. Our shit management left BA as coach for 6 years longer than they should have.

Not really sure why you are intent on trying to re-write history.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I have been very critical of BA on multiple occasions. Our shit management left BA as coach for 6 years longer than they should have.

Not really sure why you are intent on trying to re-write history.
I do remember you saying you would be happy for Bea to leave if we could find anybody better. Which was a laughable statement.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I do remember you saying you would be happy for Bea to leave if we could find anybody better. Which was a laughable statement.
I also expressed concerns about us appointing a rookie coach which will be laughable as well until you all start agreeing with me.

Let’s see how long you keep up your bullshit “Captain Positive” facade.

Pazza

First Grade
I also expressed concerns about us appointing a rookie coach which will be laughable as well until you all start agreeing with me.

Let’s see how long you keep up your bullshit “Captain Positive” facade.

What experienced coachs out their outside of Bennett were available that were going to overcome 40 years are failure??

Chipmunk

Coach
It's a possibility but we won't know until next year..

So I'll be taking the positive approach now and not being a downer 👍
I think he needs to be given until the end of 2026, as that is when he will have turned over the roster with the players he wants.

At this present time we don't have 17 NRL standard players, so the house of cards that occurred this season will happen again without adequate recruits. It's illogical to expect the same 17 players to play every week for the entire season.

Last edited:

Parra4eva

Juniors
Breaking News!!!

Ryles our new coach.

Another rookie with no experience as head coach of any team that I can remember. At least some of the others has some history as head of lower grades. 4 Years is a long time
imo and just hope he brings Storm systems into place (without all the bullshit illegal bits) to strengthen our pathways plus improve our attack and especially defence. Bellamy's blueprint was always big, fast backs so hope adopts similar mindset.

Thoughts?
As a member of the Parramatta Eels, I have been so impressed with every move the club has made in '24.
Brad Arthur's departure was a hard call, but they did it swiftly and cleanly.
Then, they chased Wayne, and once their overtures were rejected, they took their time in finding a quality act!
And hasn't he hit the ground running, chosing fantastic, talented, assistants, strengthening both player support and the pathways for junior players to find their way to the NRL side...
Having lost Talagi to Penrith, he orchestrated pinching the under 23s fullback of the year from Penriths stable.
Potentially, the Eels have now won in that swap.
Plus, clearing 11 players from the roster to maximise the salary cap to allow room in the top 30 roster, for strategic player - positional - purchases.
As for the NRL first grade team, you now have to trust in the process, Ryles claims to be wanting to instill more speed, toughness and a every day professionalism - these to my ears sound like Roosters or Storm traits, and heaven knows Parramatta Eels can certainly use a stronger, more vibrant energy as the 2024 squad certainly lacked some.
And for those calling on Barrett to provide the answers, we'll 3 wins from over a dozen starts doesn't do it for me.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What experienced coachs out their outside of Bennett were available that were going to overcome 40 years are failure??
Good question, Madge?? Griffen??? Sheens?? Pay??? Holbrook???

They went out and got the best option on the market in Ryles. And put an experienced coach in Brown along side him. Not sure what more they could have done??

Which Retreaded coach worked best for you @Gary Gutful ???

Paul Langmack??

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's funny a lot of people see that as well.

Some are a bit slow on the uptake.
He was nothing but class in his public statements after leaving. If players wanted to leave it was just because it was a chance to get more money. Even Lomax wanted a coach clause for the same reason.

Gazzamatta

Coach
A 30% Trent Barrett made us look like the Harlem Globetrotters in attack without a genuine 7.

No team scored more points in a game this year against Penrith then what we did at Commbank.

The way we played without Moses since origin has me more confident next year that we will surprise a few. We looked sharper with the ball then what we have looked for a long time.

We were severely undercoached and too comfortable in whatever roles the players had with the previous regime.
Very refreshing talking about all the little things that we need to get right. He referenced where our players stand at marker etc in his first interview. He's passionate no doubt and driven. It appears he's huge on the preseason setting up the season ahead. Our philosophy previously was "I know it didn't work last year but it's gotta work this year." And our assistant coach was just happy to have a job. Then there was that, "let's turn PARRA into an acronym, that will be fun". I think that video was the beginning of the end for BA. Who's idea was that rubbish?
Ryles has it planned mostly already and I can guarantee you our boys won't be carrying a rope or hiding Cartys bag. 😁
Some might not survive.
I can't wait. Finally we have hope.
Change is good.

T.S Quint

Coach
It's a possibility but we won't know until next year..

So I'll be taking the positive approach now and not being a downer 👍

We probably won't even know if he's a good coach until a few more years, really.

Look at Ciraldo. First year at the Dogs and he was looked upon as a dud, but this year were pushing for the top 4 and he's a genius. Then again, next year they might go shit again and he's once again a dud.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Good question, Madge?? Griffen??? Sheens?? Pay??? Holbrook???

They went out and got the best option on the market in Ryles. And put an experienced coach in Brown along side him. Not sure what more they could have done??

Which Retreaded coach worked best for you @Gary Gutful ???

Paul Langmack??
We f**ked up the whole Bennett thing imo. I said as much at the time.

If we weren’t such a basket case we would have done a better job at targeting him at the right time. It would have been hard to prise him away from Souths, but not impossible if we got in earlier.

Instead we were left with a bunch of sub-optimal options which speaks volumes. It felt like we didn’t have a plan after we sacked the coach.

Of the other coaches available I think Madge or Griffen would have been fine. We need someone to come in and rebuild. I don’t think that’s a job for a rookie coach. I also liked Cheika because of his experience in other codes but understand that people might see that as risky.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
As a member of the Parramatta Eels, I have been so impressed with every move the club has made in '24.
Brad Arthur's departure was a hard call, but they did it swiftly and cleanly.
Then, they chased Wayne, and once their overtures were rejected, they took their time in finding a quality act!
And hasn't he hit the ground running, chosing fantastic, talented, assistants, strengthening both player support and the pathways for junior players to find their way to the NRL side...
Having lost Talagi to Penrith, he orchestrated pinching the under 23s fullback of the year from Penriths stable.
Potentially, the Eels have now won in that swap.
Plus, clearing 11 players from the roster to maximise the salary cap to allow room in the top 30 roster, for strategic player - positional - purchases.
As for the NRL first grade team, you now have to trust in the process, Ryles claims to be wanting to instill more speed, toughness and a every day professionalism - these to my ears sound like Roosters or Storm traits, and heaven knows Parramatta Eels can certainly use a stronger, more vibrant energy as the 2024 squad certainly lacked some.
And for those calling on Barrett to provide the answers, we'll 3 wins from over a dozen starts doesn't do it for me.
One thing that doesn’t sit well is that our two most consistent players over the last few years - Gutho and RCG are either gone or likely to be gone. I get the need to rebuild but question whether it is a smart move not to have them both part of a transition over the next couple of years.

Latest posts