What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Unsure how Cayless manages to keep his role? Sure, ex-club captain and such but he isn't a coaches left nut.....

Have to be much better options available around the place surely. Even the inanimate carbon rod would be an upgrade.
Hi @The Colonel

He does have a tendency to over do something’s but I rate that he has a good team around him.

Craig Brennan is his blue shirt and basically “interpreter” on the field, and we know how well CB was with this current squad when they were coming through, giving a nice pathway of coaching and leadership.

I think coach Rankin’s team will migrate nicely to Caylo’s team

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And that's one of the reasons, I don't believe in all this doom and gloom talk about the eels future over next 2-3 years....

Obviously we have a shit load of players out, and some good signings for next year. But as someone has mentioned since Barrett took over, we are averaging approx 24 points a game (better then what BA achieved this year but on par with previous years).

But our defence is horrible, if Ryles can simply keep averaging 24 points a game (where he will have the advantage of Moses, lomax and others) and get our defence to just below 20 points a game (which puts us in the top 6 defensively), we easily move from bottom 2 to fringe 8 side pretty quickly....

Won't be easily, but not impossible either. Player's ability/structures is a big factor with defence, but so is attitude...
I put it to you that attitude is just another factor in player ability. Can you really fix a shit attitude? You can paper over it with good onfield leadership, but after a certain age attitudes can’t be fixed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No way. He was our best captain in my eyes since I've followed footy which is about 1990. When he retired I think Hindmarsh took over. He was trash.
Gutherson is only average I feel. Moses or Hopgood would be my choice
Cayless certainly has gravitas that Gutherson seems to lack. But I reckon Cayless might’ve lacked something else required of a great leader, whatever it is.

jason taylor

Bench
I’ll give Ryles the benefit of the doubt Re:Cayless - I assume he interviewed well/bought into Ryles’s vision.

On Cayless’s leadership - don’t forget he captained NZ to the World Cup upset victory in 2008.

Delboy

First Grade
Looking forward to the revolution in coaching so to speak, think it’s harsh to hammer Cayless, given the depleted and inexperienced squad under his watch and he was given the responsibility of implementing a system that was supposed to emulate what the NRL played. Seems once the hierarchy changed we did see some different structures at Cup level, still forced to play RMC level players in the team. Not sure the Flegg team were moved higher given their run of results.

Fitness levels, tactics, structure and speed all need to added and the changes hopefully mean the team are heading in that direction .Please, please.

The Colonel

Immortal
On Cayless’s leadership - don’t forget he captained NZ to the World Cup upset victory in 2008.

I couldn't give two shits about his captaincy really. I don't think he is a very good coach.

His record is average at best.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I put it to you that attitude is just another factor in player ability. Can you really fix a shit attitude? You can paper over it with good onfield leadership, but after a certain age attitudes can’t be fixed.
Definitely, but a new voice, new methods, players on notice, can shake things up....

Look at the dragons, only 5 wins last year, to now on the fringe of the 8 and haven't really purchased any players that would significantly improved their on field leadership, Flanagan, Leilua, RFM.....

I think we have enough quality to improve, and better squad then the dragons

The Colonel

Immortal
Looking forward to the revolution in coaching so to speak, think it’s harsh to hammer Cayless, given the depleted and inexperienced squad under his watch and he was given the responsibility of implementing a system that was supposed to emulate what the NRL played. Seems once the hierarchy changed we did see some different structures at Cup level, still forced to play RMC level players in the team. Not sure the Flegg team were moved higher given their run of results.

Fitness levels, tactics, structure and speed all need to added and the changes hopefully mean the team are heading in that direction .Please, please.

It is his fourth year as coach and regardless of structures etc he still hasn't shown anything that suggests he is very good at it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Definitely, but a new voice, new methods, players on notice, can shake things up....

Look at the dragons, only 5 wins last year, to now on the fringe of the 8 and haven't really purchased any players that would significantly improved their on field leadership, Flanagan, Leilua, RFM.....

I think we have enough quality to improve, and better squad then the dragons
Well they’ve won half their games, just as they did two years ago under Griffin. Last year’s five wins was the outlier for them. Has changing the coach contributed to this year’s 11 wins or would it have happened anyway? Remember 2019 was much better than 2018 and the coach wasn’t replaced.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well they’ve won half their games, just as they did two years so under Griffin. Last year’s five wins was the outlier for them. Has changing the coach contributed to this year’s 11 wins or would it have happened anyway? Remember 2019 was much better than 2018 and the coach wasn’t replaced.
Which is a good point, with the doom and gloom talk about us....this year could be the outer for us (which could potentially be attributed to injuries) and we return to what we have achieved last 5 years, winning half or more of our games.....exciting times....

Stevie

Bench
It’s good Ryles has been so unseen with the current setup. I feel it means he wants nothing to do with current systems and there will be no “handing over of notes and systems” as such it’ll be his setup from November onwards.
Also sends a message I think he’s not one of the boys and current mediocrity.
Players need to prove themselves. Favouritism ends.

JokerEel

Coach
Happy to see how Cayless goes next year in cup I assume the team will be run a lot different to how the old bald coach wanted things run..

Latest posts