What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yes it was a fluff piece, that was always going to happen when you introduce a new coach to it's fans, members and sponsors.

there are 2 choices...you can either embrace it or just be a miserable cynical merkin about it....if you choose to be the later than maybe supporting this club isn't for you?

option C, wait and see how he goes

Incorrect

Coach
Pretty big arsehole move by Bellamy to let Ryles turn down the Dragons job only to refuse to retire after.
Bellamy has been talking about retiring for about 5 years and keeps changing his mind... And he's got the biggest set of balls at that organisation and the runs on the board to do whatever the hell he wants you'd imagine.... I don't think anyone will be 100% sure Bellamy will be actually retiring until he's not at Storm training with clipboard in hand on Nov 1 in whatever year it actually eventuates...

Gazzamatta

Coach

Where does Zac Lomax fit into the team?​

Lomax was signed under the Arthur regime and was given the impression that he would play in his preferred centre position.
Ryles has been in regular dialogue with the St George Illawarra winger but was unable to make any guarantees about what position he would play in 2025.
Zac Lomax is moving to Parramatta next season.

Zac Lomax is moving to Parramatta next season.Credit:Kate Geraghty
“My conversations with Zac have been, ‘Let’s get back to training, let’s work on combinations and let’s see what’s best for the team’,” Ryles said.
“He’s super open to that. He’s not said he prefers any position, so we’ll work it out once we get back to training. My understanding was that he came here to play centre. But I’ve just been really open with him in regards to his form over the last six or eight months.”

The coaching staff overhaul​

Ryles will bring with him an entirely new coaching staff, hiring former Dragons coach Nathan Brown, former Roosters teammate Sam Moa and rugby union coach Scott Wisemantel.
Having served an apprenticeship under Bellamy, Eddie Jones and Trent Robinson, Ryles has taken certain qualities from each and incorporated them into his coaching.
He will bring with him Bellamy’s mantra of consistency and demand for effort, and Jones’ unrelenting desire and pursuit of excellence.
“So me little mate in Japan, Eddie, one of the first texts he sent me was ‘Players, staff and environment’ – in that order,” Ryles said.
Jason Ryles (right) and Eddie Jones together during their time with English rugby in 2020.

Jason Ryles (right) and Eddie Jones together during their time with English rugby in 2020.Credit:Getty
He also spoke about Robinson’s willingness to buck the norm. The appointment of Wisemantel – a rugby coach with a background in league – to oversee the team’s attack with Brown is case in point.
“One thing I’m super clear on is I’m not any one of those three guys, I’m myself and I’ve got my own little personality and my own little take on it,” Ryles said of his coaching mentors.
“What does the club need right now? For me, it’s a reset. In particular, just from what I see, I want to work really hard on our culture and make it a place where people want to come to work every day.
“And then the biggest part is, like I said before, ‘What’s the strengths in the group as a playing group?’ And then that’s what we’re going to play to. We’re not going to play like Melbourne, Roosters, Penrith. We’re going to play like Parramatta. To the strengths of that group.”
Ryles has a long-standing relationship with Eels interim coach Trent Barrett, who applied for the head coaching job but missed out.
Barrett is leaving to assist Kevin Walters at the Broncos next year, but Ryles paid tribute to the way his former teammate handled an awkward situation.
Trent Barrett took over from Brad Arthur as Eels interim coach mid-way through the year.

Trent Barrett took over from Brad Arthur as Eels interim coach mid-way through the year.
“He made it easy. He kind of led me into it,” Ryles said of the tough conversation with Barrett about his future at the Eels.
“Basically, I just said if you’re at another club and I was in this situation, I’d be ringing you right now to come and work here. With everyone that has moved on, it was nothing personal, was just part of my mindset of resetting everything.”
There was a widely held view among Parramatta bosses that the players, under Arthur, had too much power. It resulted in a perceived cultural shift that left management questioning if the coach was too close to his troops.
“My philosophy is I’m there to serve them,” Ryles said.
“I’m a servant to the players. So I’m there to do whatever it takes for those boys to fulfil their dreams and to get better every day. That’s my job. Through my experiences watching the guys that I work for, you can have a strong relationship with them but you just got to be careful not to be best mates with them because there’s going to be a day where you’ve got to give them some feedback where it might not be what they want to hear.
Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown are yet to hit the rare heights scaled in 2022.

Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown are yet to hit the rare heights scaled in 2022.Credit:Getty
“And being a servant to the players isn’t telling them everything they want to hear. You’re serving them by telling them what they don’t want to hear and how they can get better. There’s obviously ways of doing that. So I’m going to probably handle Mitch a little bit different to how I handle Dylan because they’re just different personalities.”
The enormity of the task at hand hasn’t been lost in Ryles, who admits giving up hope of the Eels job after convincing himself the club was going to hand the keys to the castle to Sharks assistant coach Josh Hannay.
While ending the drought remains the dream, his inner Bellamy takes over when talking about how he goes about resurrecting the fortunes of a club that, in the space of two years, has gone from an NRL grand final to a wooden spoon playoff.
“How do you eat an elephant?” Ryles asked. “One bite at a time.”
Fu*king Legend MITS. TA BUDDY. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Angry_eel

First Grade
This is true, it will all come down to how the team performs on the field, which we won't see until next year.
He's saying all the right things, which is great...but then I'm sure Steve Kearney said all the right things as well.

At the very least this is a chance for some optimism from fans. We can look forward to hopefully something better after a couple of poor seasons.
It was a different time. Kearney would have had a presser.

I'm a little concerned about Ryles' Rugby Connections, is it a positive or a negative, time will tell. Hope he brings across the sponsors but not the tactics.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Depends who you mean by 'they'. Should we poach Nick Politis from the Roosters? We sure could use his superior management.

Don't limit 'resources' to money.

Yes to Nick

And I don't to the 2nd (clearly, from what I posted). But the context you use it in seems to very often have been to argue that people are wrong for thinking we are a filthy rich club.

We are. It's pure stats.
And with the booming of Parra CBD I don't see that heading south anytime soon.

As you say, if we can't change the management, the least we can do is upgrade the coaching staff. Point well made.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
yes it was a fluff piece, that was always going to happen when you introduce a new coach to it's fans, members and sponsors.

there are 2 choices...you can either embrace it or just be a miserable cynical merkin about it....if you choose to be the later than maybe supporting this club isn't for you?
In JR we trust!!!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I liked this part regarding Iongi

“I watched a heap of vision of him and then did a bit of background research on him with some people that I respect. That that all checked out,” Ryles said.

shows how much goes into signing a player, and there are no "secret" promising players hiding in NSW cup, clubs don't know about until they suddenly play an nrl game.....
“I got there and within a fortnight, I was like, ‘Wow, Craig’s not retiring’,” Ryles admits inside the Chinese restaurant at Parramatta Leagues Club earlier this week.
Now that's a resource! How long have we had one of those ffs?!?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We are well resourced.
Just not as well resourced as some other clubs. Do you not agree?
This is what I've been trying to tell merkins. You could claim every NRL side is 'well resourced' given their share of the broadcast revenue. That doesn't translate to any sort of competitive advantage, by definition. Some clubs are even more 'well resourced' than the rest.

84 Baby

Referee
Even if it was a pre written puff, the bit I loved was him not hiding from the drought. I understand the view of trying to ignore it to avoid the additional pressure it brings, but it’s still there and at crunch time if you aren’t successfully ignoring it, it can be a very sudden hit of that pressure. Got to learn to live with it. “Be comfortable in being uncomfortable” was a BA catchcry… that we also didn’t actually do…

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely the best place to view young players is from Perth??
Just like you, I'm not an expert in judging young players. So I view the merkins paid to do so. It's imperfect, but that's the best gauge of which players will and won't make it. Who gets contracts, who gets promoted, who makes rep teams. This is data. Not little-Johnny-is-quicker-than-most-15-year-olds-and-his-old-man-says-hi-to-me. I could attend Ringrose every weekend and still know f**k all about his NRL potential. Delboy does.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't expect 2025 to be all that much better than this year
I do because we are likely to revert to the mean. Whatever that is for us, it's better than seven wins. Look what happened last time we had a disastrous season. In 2019 we won 14 games. I think we will have a better year (lots of them) under Ryles, just as we would have if Arthur had remained at the club. But with Ryles we get a proper turnover of the playing group in the next couple of years. It's very exciting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The part about him turning down the Drahons job after being asked by Melbourne to take over from Bellamy was interesting.

Makes me think that if he does well at Parra then Melbourne will try to bring him back once Bellamy does eventually retire. They seemed very keen on having him.

Pretty big arsehole move by Bellamy to let Ryles turn down the Dragons job only to refuse to retire after.
Agreed. Also, Drahon sounds like one of @Avenger's uncles back in the old country.

Avenger

Immortal
I do because we are likely to revert to the mean. Whatever that is for us, it's better than seven wins. Look what happened last time we had a disastrous season. In 2019 we won 14 games. I think we will have a better year (lots of them) under Ryles, just as we would have if Arthur had remained at the club. But with Ryles we get a proper turnover of the playing group in the next couple of years. It's very exciting.
It’s a good thing that our new coach didn’t think we are a ‘mid tier club’ with little resources. (Your words) or Ryles wouldn’t have even applied.

You’ve been again exposed as troll with a shit memory.