What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taylor, it's time to harden up by Mat Rogers

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=408452

Jason Taylor, it's time to harden up
Mat Rogers
13:00 AEST Thu Mar 20 2008

Go mobile

Mat Rogers is a dual-international with a reputation for telling it straight. Now playing for the Gold Coast Titans, his WWOS column appears every Friday.
expert-rogers.gif
icn_comment.gif
Have your say on the NRL's regulation of tackles.

Jason Taylor! Please. Get off your high horse.
I couldn’t believe the statement about mums watching football, not letting their kids play now because of what we saw in the Riley Brown tackle.
The tackle looked absolutely fine. Craig’s arm was in a bad position and unfortunately he dislocated his shoulder. That’s life in football. Injuries happen. The fact that Craig Wing was in the opening game of the season against his old club is the only reason we heard about it.
I didn’t hear Jason saying similar things last year when one of his front rowers stood up at the play the ball and out of the blue, threw a haymaker into the face of Brett Delaney leaving him concussed and requiring 15 stitches inside and outside his mouth. I know he’s standing up for his player but we’re not playing touch football. The physical nature of our game is what makes it great.
It seems every year we have a new tackle name that is being outlawed. The Grapple, The Cruncher and now The Prowler. It’s getting beyond a joke. It sounds like we should be performing in the WWE!
I think the NRL is doing a great job in it’s role and protecting player’s welfare. To stop players spearing in at kickers is a great move as the kicker can’t protect himself. But if you have a guy who is fighting for position in a tackle to maybe get to in front for a quick play the ball regardless of how many players are in that tackle, he is open slather. That’s fair game as far as I’m concerned and I’m sure 99.9% of players will agree.
The last thing the game needs is coaches becoming over protective and crying to the NRL every time a player gets injured.
Benji Marshall hurt his knee on the weekend. Does this now mean we shouldn’t tackle around the legs when a player is running full pace as we don’t want to cause any knee injuries?
No it doesn’t, and that would be a ridiculous thing to suggest. It does seem however we’re headed down a similar path.
I know a lot of the players in our game are frustrated by this, particularly in the forwards where physical presence is paramount. We can’t take what is great about our game away - the physical contest. I’m sure the players of the past would be scratching their heads wandering what all the fuss is about. I certainly am.
Onto some Rugby and it was great to see the Force live up to my hype last week. I really believe they will be a team to watch this year and they didn’t let me down.
The Waratahs face their toughest test on Friday against a red hot Crusaders outfit in Christchurch. More than ever, it’s time to front up. The lads are feeling fresh after the bye and full of confidence. The loss of Stephen Brett for the Crusaders will also be a handy advantage for the ‘Tahs. I can feel an upset on the cards – Waratahs by 10.

Does Jason Taylor need to harden up?
Is rugby league in danger of losing it's tough physicality?

JAMES BOND

Juniors
Rooster fan looking for another fight thread. What else is new.

Other coaches like Bennett and Murray agreed with Taylor that the tackle was bad as did many others.

Does Cockadoodledoo need to ger over it?
Is League unlimted in danger of being over taken by Rooster fans looking for fights against Souths?

Fairfax

Juniors
JAMES BOND said:
Rooster fan looking for another fight thread. What else is new.

Other coaches like Bennett and Murray agreed with Taylor that the tackle was bad as did many others.
Both of them are unemployed for next year, aren't they?

adamkungl

Immortal
Taylor is a knobhead. He makes Brian Smith's conspiracy theory rantings of the past look balanced and informed. Dumbest coach in the NRL.

Titanic

First Grade
1/2 agree but cheap shots are cheap shots and shouldn't go unpunished - that's why we have the "get square".

Ziggy the God

First Grade
So is Rogers actually arguing that the Crusher and Grapple should not have been made illegal?

What is he on about? Then he talks about Union? Spare me.

He also said this today:

Recovering North Queensland skipper Johnathan Thurston has been described as a "speed hump" in defence by dual international Mat Rogers.
The Cowboys bristled at Rogers' claim that Thurston had come back too soon from two shoulder reconstructions and was a defensive liability.
To add further fuel, Rogers rated his Gold Coast Titans halves partner Scott Prince the best halfback in the game ahead of the Cowboys playmaker.

Sure thing Matty. :lol:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
philstorm said:
He makes a good point.

Where were Taylors 'morals' when that Rabbitohs forward knocked out Delaney?

Maybe he should have grappled Delaney, instead of punching him after his ball bag was grabbed.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Jason Taylor is a smart man and i like him always have and was disappointed that he had to leave the Eels but what he said after the game looked like one of those mums of a losing team who was just trying to side track the issue of the actual lose.

Grapple should and has been outlawed, the other two new ones crusher and prowler are complete bullsh*t that has come about with the media blowing every comment out of proportion.

Riley Brown has nothing to be ashamed of, legal tackle and has been legal for 100 years and should be legal for another 100.

caylo

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
Jason Taylor is a smart man and i like him always have and was disappointed that he had to leave the Eels but what he said after the game looked like one of those mums of a losing team who was just trying to side track the issue of the actual lose.

Grapple should and has been outlawed, the other two new ones crusher and prowler are complete bullsh*t that has come about with the media blowing every comment out of proportion.

Riley Brown has nothing to be ashamed of, legal tackle and has been legal for 100 years and should be legal for another 100.

This is were i agree, A front on shoulder charge can have the same impact as a car accident and cause massive lip lash, which could easly end a players carrer.
Plus the first thing I was taught was never turn your back to an opposition defender because it makes you a sitting duck.

Wing was not held and was no issue with the tackle. If he was he from front on and had the same injury we wouldn't hear about it. The fact that wing was not facing the defensive line can not be blamed on Ryle Brown.

The Brain

Juniors
I thought when Taylor signed up with Souffs that he was a top buy ,but gee he is becoming a constant whinger and that will reflect on the players in the season to come.
Souffs will have a bad year mark my words and will be looking for a new coach seasons end .He doesnt have the mentall apttitude to carry sOUFFS.