What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taylor - New Coach

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Gee I feel bad for Mick Potter now.

Potter had backbone and did it the hard way. All that hard graft on a platter to a goose like JT.

Never seen such a thorough white anting to a strong character. Henjak was the last one I remember to get shafted so hard after pushing the change through.

JT has a good football brain but you need a leader now. Ironically he may go ok now cos of Potter putting his neck on the line with Benni and Robbie.

Potter had communication problems, he may be tactically astute however if you cannot get your message across to the players then you are toast.

The more you can reduce or limit the shackles of nepotism and cronyism the better in any organisation,WT need this change of direction to move forward.

Tiger05

First Grade
The more you can reduce or limit the shackles of nepotism and cronyism the better in any organisation,WT need this change of direction to move forward.

Why is Kidwell being kept then ? Its because he is friends with Taylor from when Taylor coached Souths.

I have no problems with a clean-out and I think we need it simply to make it clear that results matter however lets not make out that favorites aren't being played here when they are.

Kidwell was our defensive coach and we were terrible defensively.

DanOz

Juniors
That was more down to attitude than defensive technique. That is the head coaches mandate, not the defensive coach.
I can only guess this is true. Kidwell is apparently highly rated. I know we fell apart at the end of the season, but think back to when our pack dominated Souths and Manly. That has NEVER happened before.

Kidwell was our defensive coach and we were terrible defensively.[/QUOTE]

Yep,cant argue with that but we were a rabble right throughout the whole club.You can blame Kidwell which is fair enough but who kepted selecting these same players that couldn't or wouldn't tackle.A bigger concern that has been over looked was the players attitude or lack there of with their own performances as individuals and as a team,as early as the LO game against the Titans this was noticeable.:eek:

BadSport

Juniors
Potter had communication problems, he may be tactically astute however if you cannot get your message across to the players then you are toast.

I don't think so. He was utterly white anted and had his character assassinated. Even Wayne Bennet would have gone nowhere in that situation, with his authority compromised. Then you'd be saying he's a poor communicator etc, too taciturn.

The irony is he actually did a very good job and has left you very well placed - he rejuvenated a very stale and politicised roster - and gets a bucket of shit tipped on him for his trouble of course.

I don't think it's gone unnoticed amongst his peers and there will be a job for him when the dust settles. He has probably earn himself some credibility amongst his colleagues with his stoicness.

I see Rob Farah was in the media again talking about his season from hell. I dunno when that bloke is gonna figure it out and stop being a pussy.

Bench
Why is Kidwell being kept then ? Its because he is friends with Taylor from when Taylor coached Souths.

I have no problems with a clean-out and I think we need it simply to make it clear that results matter however lets not make out that favorites aren't being played here when they are.

Kidwell was our defensive coach and we were terrible defensively.
Kidwell was the forwards coach,not defensive coach.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Just quickly on the subject of forwards can anyone tell me what did or is happening with James Gavet. Last I heard he was off the rails...but he showed enough potential I think that he'd be worth sticking with, he worked well with Tapua.

Anyone know what the story is?

I hope he sorts himself out as he is talented,rumoured issues with drinking and no drivers licence have caused him problems that i doubt JT will tolerate.

Bench
Just quickly on the subject of forwards can anyone tell me what did or is happening with James Gavet. Last I heard he was off the rails...but he showed enough potential I think that he'd be worth sticking with, he worked well with Tapua.

Anyone know what the story is?

Gone to the Bronco's.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
For those of you that missed it Taylor was on 2sm this afternoon, it was a pretty good interview & I think you guys will be happy with what he said.

- Would have liked to have kept Austin for depth but he has a young family & Canberra offered him a 3 year contract it was the right thing to let him go.
- The Gavet deal was pretty much done before he came on board he didn't really want to get into the details but said there were some off field issues & a fresh start was needed.
-Identified Backrow as the main concern & said some strike players were needed to run off the halves & create opportunities.
- Also would like more depth in the centres.
- Blocker will always be welcome at the club but he had no position available for a forwards coach
- Sironen was being payed full time for what is basically a part time position. (this is a big point, without admitting as much I think we can gather he's putting an end to the jobs for the boys mentality that has run rife at the club for years)
- Skandallis was the hardest call he had to make, but he needed to bring in the most qualified people to fill the role as strength & conditioning is extremely important.

Overall I came away pretty happy with what he had to say, without so much as saying it out right he hinted at what a lot of us have been saying for some time now.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm really really pleased with that interview. Injuries have been our biggest hinderance over the past 3 years and the fact that this was the first issue Taylor has addressed gives me great confidence.
Imagine a fully fit spine of Farah, Brooks, Moses and Tedesco? Huge difference.
Our Front Row and Wingers are solid aswell (say what you like about Richards but I think he is gun), just need to fix up Back Row and Centres and we have a finals footy team.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
centres aren't too much of an issue if we have a good back row and fit spine to go with our already capable front row.

Farah started the season doing a lot of dummy half running but he stopped doing that so much in the back half of the season.

He needs to run from dummy half more, it helps give his props momentum which helps Brooks/Moses/tedesco immensley