What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons confirm Jack de Belin will play amid rape allegation
Local Sport
r0_0_5184_3122_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Allegation: Jack de Belin. Picture: Robert Peet
Should he be allowed to play?

St George Illawarra have confirmed Jack de Belin will pull on the Red V in the upcoming NRL season, while he and friend Callan Sinclair face rape allegations.

In a statement on Tuesday morning, after de Belin entered a not guilty plea in Wollongong court, the club confirmed he would continue his “training and playing commitments”, after changes to his bail conditions were approved.

“St George Illawarra player Jack de Belin appeared in Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday in relation to the allegations made against him in December,” the statement read.

“De Belin entered a plea of not guilty and court proceedings were adjourned until April. Lawyers made application to vary his bail conditions to enable de Belin to fulfil his training and playing commitments, which was approved.

“The club will make no further comment as this matter remains before the courts.”

READ MORE: Jack de Belin allegations have rocked St George Illawarra Dragons

The terms of de Belin’s bail meant he had to report to police twice a week, but his legal team successfully argued it should be changed, so he could travel with the Dragons this season.

A magistrate agreed to remove de Belin’s reporting conditions saying he was “too well known” to be considered a flight risk.

“(It's an) essential variation because he wouldn’t be able to continue playing football with the team, pursuant to his contract, if we didn’t get it,” barrister David Campbell SC said. Campbell also confirmed the Dragons are continuing to support de Belin during the case.

r0_257_5022_3092_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Playing on: St. George Illawarra Dragons player Jack De Belin (left) leaves Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

“Of course they are and he's standing by the Dragons and hopefully the Dragons will win the premiership,” he said.

In an exclusive interview with the Mercury last month, Dragons coach Paul McGregor said he would support de Belin.

“Obviously there’s an allegation that’s been made, there’s a denial, and there’s a court process to play out,” he said. “I’m not going to comment any further other than to say that while ever Jack’s in my care we’ll have support in place around his welfare.”

The NRL has a lengthy list and a mixed record of handling serious legal cases and whether players can pull on a boot in the meantime.

Wests Wollongong junior Brett Stewart was stood down as face of the game and suspended in 2009, but then later cleared of sexual assault allegations, finishing his career as a two-time Manly premiership and State of Origin player.

Jarryd Hayne was in negotiations to move to the Dragons this year, but that all ended and former Parramatta, Origin and NFL players left without a club as he faces an aggravated sexual assault charge.

How the de Belin case, who has been one of the most popular players among Dragons fans and made his Origin debut last year as NSW won the series, will impact on St George Illawarra’s 2019 campaign, remains to be seen.

The matter has been adjourned until April 17, which comes three days after their round five clash with the Bulldogs and three days before the Dragons meet the Sea Eagles in their first game at WIN Stadium this year.

The case will likely continue for several months.

The Dragons’ first trial is on Saturday week against Kogarah, then the Charity Shield on March 2 against South Sydney at Mudgee, before the NRL season starts against the Cowboys in Townsville on March 16.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-belin-will-play-amid-rape-allegation/?cs=302

giboz71

First Grade
For the Dragons to allow him to train and continue to play means that they are behind the player and must be pretty confident he will beat the charge. Why would they risk damaging their name and reputation of the club for 1 player. I am sure they would have spoken to all their sponsors and board members about what they should do. The got rid of Fanoua-Blake who was a big up an comer straight away for a lesser crime so again they must have felt he was not innocent hence their action.

It is a huge risk though if he ends up being guilty with a 20 year jail sentence.

Well that’s a fair point.

He’s been part of the club for 8 years and been a loyal servant and his message to the club is that he is innocent, they are obviously backing him.

Dangerous on the clubs behalf I agree but understandable as well.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Local Sport

St George Illawarra have confirmed Jack de Belin will pull on the Red V in the upcoming NRL season, while he and friend Callan Sinclair face rape allegations.

In a statement on Tuesday morning, after de Belin entered a not guilty plea in Wollongong court, the club confirmed he would continue his “training and playing commitments”, after changes to his bail conditions were approved.

“St George Illawarra player Jack de Belin appeared in Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday in relation to the allegations made against him in December,” the statement read.

“De Belin entered a plea of not guilty and court proceedings were adjourned until April. Lawyers made application to vary his bail conditions to enable de Belin to fulfil his training and playing commitments, which was approved.

“The club will make no further comment as this matter remains before the courts.”

The terms of de Belin’s bail meant he had to report to police twice a week, but his legal team successfully argued it should be changed, so he could travel with the Dragons this season.

A magistrate agreed to remove de Belin’s reporting conditions saying he was “too well known” to be considered a flight risk.

“(It's an) essential variation because he wouldn’t be able to continue playing football with the team, pursuant to his contract, if we didn’t get it,” barrister David Campbell SC said. Campbell also confirmed the Dragons are continuing to support de Belin during the case.

Playing on: St. George Illawarra Dragons player Jack De Belin (left) leaves Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

“Of course they are and he's standing by the Dragons and hopefully the Dragons will win the premiership,” he said.

In an exclusive interview with the Mercury last month, Dragons coach Paul McGregor said he would support de Belin.

“Obviously there’s an allegation that’s been made, there’s a denial, and there’s a court process to play out,” he said. “I’m not going to comment any further other than to say that while ever Jack’s in my care we’ll have support in place around his welfare.”

The NRL has a lengthy list and a mixed record of handling serious legal cases and whether players can pull on a boot in the meantime.

Wests Wollongong junior Brett Stewart was stood down as face of the game and suspended in 2009, but then later cleared of sexual assault allegations, finishing his career as a two-time Manly premiership and State of Origin player.

Jarryd Hayne was in negotiations to move to the Dragons this year, but that all ended and former Parramatta, Origin and NFL players left without a club as he faces an aggravated sexual assault charge.

How the de Belin case, who has been one of the most popular players among Dragons fans and made his Origin debut last year as NSW won the series, will impact on St George Illawarra’s 2019 campaign, remains to be seen.

The matter has been adjourned until April 17, which comes three days after their round five clash with the Bulldogs and three days before the Dragons meet the Sea Eagles in their first game at WIN Stadium this year.

The Dragons’ first trial is on Saturday week against Kogarah, then the Charity Shield on March 2 against South Sydney at Mudgee, before the NRL season starts against the Cowboys in Townsville on March 16.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-belin-will-play-amid-rape-allegation/?cs=302
Has Steve Price had a career change, moving into the legal field? Or is that just some other chinless bloke in the 2nd photo?

BennyV

Referee
Local Sport

Weak.

LINESPEED

Juniors

It’ll be Jack’s headspace after provocations that could be an issue for him & the team.
A distraction for sure & we note Khawaja said his form slump was due to his brother’s case.

Hopefully he and the woman are getting professional support

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It’ll be Jack’s headspace after provocations that could be an issue for him & the team.
A distraction for sure & we note Khawaja said his form slump was due to his brother’s case.

Hopefully he and the woman are getting professional support
Well... and with respect... you're drawing a long bow there.

For a start the Khawaja situation is completely different to the de Belin situation. And secondly, Khawaja only said it was a tough time and that his brother's case weighed heavily on him and his family. It was sections of the media that made it a connection with his form slump.

What people forget is that Khawaja also had a knee injury just prior to this time. Also team morale was low on the back the ball tampering scandal and the whole batting lineup were playing like amateurs

But a horrible situation off the field could not be considered the only reason for the 41-Test veteran's difficulties with the bat.
He was also recovering from a torn meniscus in his knee that saw him miss a long stretch between October's Tests in the UAE and the home series against India and Sri Lanka.
He said he was feeling OK physically on his return, but it was a battle to regain the form he had created overseas.
"I still felt alright, but I felt like I lost a little bit of momentum in those six weeks I was out," he said.

Link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...brothers-arrest-very-taxing-mentally/10775736

Of course if you can find a quote where Khawaja actually said his form slump was entirely due to his brother's case, then by all means let's see it. But I suspect there were a combination of factors at play.

And again, quite irrelevant to de Belin's situation.

slippery5

Juniors
I hate saying it but it occurs to me that JDB is a blond anglo and AFB was not...

I really hope JDB is innocent but he is a goose no matter what based on the parts of the story that don't seem to be in dispute.
Pull your head in, if you was to say an up & comer vs high profile SOO player, you might get some to agree. Not that I think that has anything to do with it either.

hewi

Bench
I am not writing this to get into arguments but to seek other opinions. I still strongly believe in JDB right to innocence until proven guilty however since the release of the actual allegations this week in court I have been in shock. This is not a good look for the NRL or St George, I’m now thinking he shouldn’t play until after the trial. Other thoughts would be great appreciated.

Nanadragon

Juniors
I am not writing this to get into arguments but to seek other opinions. I still strongly believe in JDB right to innocence until proven guilty however since the release of the actual allegations this week in court I have been in shock. This is not a good look for the NRL or St George, I’m now thinking he shouldn’t play until after the trial. Other thoughts would be great appreciated.
Hewi I totally agree with your comments. After reading the allegations made against Jack this week, he should be stood down until his name is cleared or he is found guilty in a court of law. As a female supporter of the Dragons for over 50 years I am disappointed the Club has taken this stance in the matter.

hewi

Bench
Hewi I totally agree with your comments. After reading the allegations made against Jack this week, he should be stood down until his name is cleared or he is found guilty in a court of law. As a female supporter of the Dragons for over 50 years I am disappointed the Club has taken this stance in the matter.

Thank you, I am now starting to feel the same. I didn’t start this way.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I also agree Hewi, it's a very delicate and serious allegation and the NRL and club must stand down JDB from playing IMO. Sure let him continue to train with the squad until the trial is resolved. If he was another player at another club we would feel differently and must not let our RedV eyes blur any judgement. A fair trial and time is paramount and surely the headspace of Jack is not beneficial to the team until a decision is reached.

Last edited:

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
Club has made the right decision he has pleaded not guilty and I believe he will end being found not guilty by the courts!

BLM01

First Grade
I'd like to know what are the extra detailed allegations that were not already aired in the public news over the prior 2 months ago that came out of the court to now shock you?
What about the detailed allegations to the contrary or defense.which enlightened and shocked me
Your first part of the 2nd sentence is correct. The Brett Stewart case is testamant to that potential fact.
There is only 3 people that know the truth...I hope it gets resolved sooner than later.
Hopefully the jury work it out too!

However because of the peanut gallery and our sponsors you cant take his pay off him but just having him not take the field in front of the public would be a good idea..as they will make it difficult and embarrasing to watch and listen to..especially as a Dragons supporter watching and supporting the team.
If JDB and the team can handle the abuse coming his way..then I suppose I should.
But..keeping a low profile till justice takes it's course would be my view as the best outcome for everybody ATM. When the result is known there will be plenty of time to be high profile..either way

Old Timer

Coach
Something to think about re selecting or not selecting JDB to play.
If we were playing England at Wembley and after the game the players were to be presented their medals by the Queen would the ARU select JDB if he was in form?
If he was to play in a GF and presented to ScuMo who was handing out the premiership rings and had this hanging over his head would political pressure be exerted or would ScuMo maybe say best you find someone else to present the awards?
If he was to win the Clive Churchill medal on GF would Mrs Churchill be happy to present hm the award with this hanging over his head?
A conundrum indeed.

Hard Yards

Juniors
SGI are correct to allow him to play, their board would of sought extensive legal guidance on the issue, the NRL as an administrative body would also have been so advised. It will be interesting to see the outcome re major sponsors, nervous hands on foreheads amongst the SGI board, re this sorry saga.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
I'd like to know what are the extra detailed allegations that were not already aired in the public news over the prior 2 months ago that came out of the court to now shock you?
What about the detailed allegations to the contrary or defense.which enlightened and shocked me
Your first part of the 2nd sentence is correct. The Brett Stewart case is testamant to that potential fact.
There is only 3 people that know the truth...I hope it gets resolved sooner than later.
Hopefully the jury work it out too!

However because of the peanut gallery and our sponsors you cant take his pay off him but just having him not take the field in front of the public would be a good idea..as they will make it difficult and embarrasing to watch and listen to..especially as a Dragons supporter watching and supporting the team.
If JDB and the team can handle the abuse coming his way..then I suppose I should.
But..keeping a low profile till justice takes it's course would be my view as the best outcome for everybody ATM. When the result is known there will be plenty of time to be high profile..either way
I hope it is all sorted soon too but these cases can drag on for years and if he stood until sorted and found not guilty JDB will sue the NRL and the Dragons for loss of income plus other damages.

The Damo

Juniors
I hope it is all sorted soon too but these cases can drag on for years and if he stood until sorted and found not guilty JDB will sue the NRL and the Dragons for loss of income plus other damages.
I highly doubt he’d be successful if he tried. If he’s stood down on full pay he’s not being disadvantaged. If the claim is that he missed out on SOO etc payments it’d be the simplest thing to point out that A - no guarantee he’d be selected, B - chances of injury could’ve kept him out anyway. Think about the case he’d have to make - these organisations should have taken on enormous potential reputational risk so I could have an impossible to calculate chance of earning above my contracted salary. It’s a bullshit thing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.