What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not playing this week...

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named a strong 28-man squad for the Dragons' first NRL pre-season trial against the Newcastle Knights at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Saturday, February 23.

James Graham and Tyson Frizell have been rested from the Dragons' initial hit out in name of player workload management.

Jack de Belin was sent home from training on Monday by the club medical staff with a virus and has been ruled out of this weekend's game as a result.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/19/nrl-team-trial-v-newcastle-knights/

possm

Coach
Agree- but would just add that its not a matter of just both sides of the story- it is alleged three people were in that room and if so theyre the only three people in the world who know exactly what happened. It might be complicated enough establishing just what happened with just two people but with three the possibilities increase exponentially. To single out De Belin and threaten to stand him down in a contested and complex situation like this, likely to drag out in court for years, in my opinion, is not only unfair to De Belin but would open the NRL and the club to expensive American style litigation.

The two players had plenty of time to get their story straight prior to presenting themselves to police. So it is not so complicated at all. The only problem will be if at the end of the trial, it is believed the players or the girl are telling the truth.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
As mentioned before Brett Stewart we all thought was guilty and copped a ban later to be innocent. We should learn from that because from memory he copped plenty only to be found innocent.

If De Belin is proven guilty throw the book at the bloke and ban for life. I hope he is never part of the game and is kept in a cell for a while. If innocent let him play and move on. If JDB is found innocent some crazy idiots will absolutely go crazy at the victim and she does not deserve any backlash either. This is not protecting her if the verdict goes against her by banning him now.

denis preston

First Grade
The club needs to be bloody sure that what happens in early April will decide which way the case is going.The players have been led to believe that Debellin has a strong case so whatever the "smoking gun " of evidence is they must be confident that it will break up the police's case and it will be dropped.I'd say the club & the NRL have been advised of this.Proof of this will be days before if the NRL don't immediately suspend him. Otherwise if it goes through to next year than massive public ( and as a result our sponsors ) expectations will be for suspension.
As a very wise old man said once ( Jack Gibson ) "nothing good happens after 12 oçlock "

DragonJ

Juniors
As mentioned before Brett Stewart we all thought was guilty and copped a ban later to be innocent. We should learn from that because from memory he copped plenty only to be found innocent.

If De Belin is proven guilty throw the book at the bloke and ban for life. I hope he is never part of the game and is kept in a cell for a while. If innocent let him play and move on. If JDB is found innocent some crazy idiots will absolutely go crazy at the victim and she does not deserve any backlash either. This is not protecting her if the verdict goes against her by banning him now.
Absolutely. this is a no-brainer. Los of noise coming from rivals and even from guys on this forum but at the end of the day, he has rights. Brett Stewart was banned and then the NRL quickly changed the story when someone knocked on Gallop's door and asked: "WTF are you doing? The guy is innocent until proven guilty." So Gallop quickly changed the story to say he was suspended for being publicly intoxicated.

JDB should be and I believe will be available for selection.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Somewhat have to agree with Big Mal Meninga on his statement today about JDB should be stood down from playing.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/5765fa5a5ff759fdd6bda02cc1df2d83
Mal's got a short memory.

Meninga on assault charge
November 28, 2003
https://www.smh.com.au/national/meninga-on-assault-charge-20031128-gdhvbv.html

Meninga found not guilty of assault
19 May 2005
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-05-19/meninga-found-not-guilty-of-assault/1574186

That's almost 18 months out of the game, as a player or a coach or politician... according to Mal.

hewi

Bench
The two players had plenty of time to get their story straight prior to presenting themselves to police. So it is not so complicated at all. The only problem will be if at the end of the trial, it is believed the players or the girl are telling the truth.

I agree, I hope they havnt tried to make stuff up as their mobile phones will have been tapped I’m sure.

its tough hey. to pick the right way of handling things.

lets use an example of another origin forward playing at a Sydney club

lets call him Greg Bird.

he..did something. maybe. we will never know. probably did something. I hav heard two crazy stories that contradict each other.

he was stood down. then he was sacked. then he was convicted. then that was overturned on appeal.
then he came back and played for titoons, but did play overseas in the mean time.

The sharks were right to stand him down. and probably right to sack him.....but then he got off on appeal...

dunno what you do with JDB. best case for him....mud sticks and he plays his career and maybe his wife forgives him
worst case. silverwater or goulburn

I would be very hesitant to play him until there is an outcome. but that's just me.

DragonJ

Juniors
*Deleted*

yes. We stand for the rule of law and fairness. That is why JDB should be and I think will be playing until this nasty business has been sorted out one way or another. Doubtful the CEO of St George bank cares about those things. if he did, extremely doubtful he would be the CEO of a bank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Mal's got a short memory.

Meninga on assault charge
November 28, 2003
https://www.smh.com.au/national/meninga-on-assault-charge-20031128-gdhvbv.html

Meninga found not guilty of assault
19 May 2005
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-05-19/meninga-found-not-guilty-of-assault/1574186

That's almost 18 months out of the game, as a player or a coach or politician... according to Mal.
Big difference Willow in that Mal was Not a player and was retired . He became QLD Origin coach in 2006 a year after being found not guilty. Completely different circumstances.

possm

Coach
To my way of thinking this is almost exclusively about liability now. Let's cut out the naivety. The Club knows he shouldn't be playing whilst this swirls around but they are concerned about the liability arising from a contractual dispute with JDB. The Club wants the ARL Commission to stand him down and therefore they are not in the gun in the future. Don't for one minute think that the CEO of St George Bank hasn't been on the phone asking some very pointed questions of the BOD. The Banks have had their images shredded recently via the Banking RC; and this is the last thing they want.

This is an easy task in reality. Put aside the legal issues for a second and answer this question. Has deBelin brought the game into disrepute? Pretty easy answer really.

I watched my 1st Dragons game in 1971; and I will not be watching any games going forward if JDB is selected before a determination is made regarding these grave charges.

Don't we have to stand for something? Seriously?

It is always easy to make decisions that effect someone else's reputation and income. This is a serious matter and one should not jump to conclusions rather, hold quiet until the legal process is completed.

The way things stand at the moment, SGI and the NRL could face legal action if JDB was stood down now. If the NRL believes JDB has to stand down to maintain the reputation of the NRL, then the NRL should give the order and be fully responsible for any damages unfairly suffered by JDB.

Obi Wan

Juniors
To be treated like your assumed guilty until having the opportunity to prove your innocence for any reason is not something I think anyone would wish upon themselves, so why wish it upon others ?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Big difference Willow in that Mal was Not a player and was retired . He became QLD Origin coach in 2006 a year after being found not guilty. Completely different circumstances.
Source: https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/mal-meninga-leaving-canberra.81455/page-2

During this period Meninga was still in Canberra and held an administrative position with the Raiders. He was also director of PASS, a privately funded program designed to get kids involved in after-school sport.

Using Meninga's logic, he should have stepped down from those positions.

BLM01

First Grade
Somewhat have to agree with Big Mal Meninga on his statement today about JDB should be stood down from playing.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/5765fa5a5ff759fdd6bda02cc1df2d83

So we go to court (first stage) and an unbiased magistrate was happy to alter bail conditions so as to let him play. So with all info, evidence and initial testomonies before the magistrate he or she was happy to do that. Why?.
But yet we all want football organisations to override this to suit the media and part of the public because the perception is guilt and an image problem...Rubbish.

Mal's comments...We all still come back to the same crux and problem of the issue. Inglis and Papali were already guilty of charges before being stood down. JDB is not yet.
What stand him down for a couple of years if the verdict takes that long. Boy if he is innocent..look out for the counter action.

The NRL introduced a policy 10 years ago of a wait and see guilty charge before we act, so why has not someone come out in the media and dispelled this in the past 10 years.
Now the NRL have put themselves between a rock and a hard place with their policy of wait & see approach. If they turn around now and stand JDB down, they would have to do the same to Dylan Walker and others pending court appearances and it would look so much like another knee jerk reactive decision to public outcry, if they were going to do this, it should of been done by the NRL on the 9th December and their Brett stewart fallout policy torn up some time ago.

I believe the NRL will not stand him down because what information has changed since the initial charges and reasons except people and the media voicing their opinion. If they do, just shows what a week kneed reactive mob they are and cant make hard decisions on their own.

I would like to stand him down now just for 1 reason only..his own well being, not for anyone else...as I said before..out of sight out of mind until judgement day, because the peanut gallery wont let it go now unfortunately.

How does someone get a fair trial with all this played out in the media...and I mean for both sides of the fence.

And no he has not brought the game and the NRL into disrepute. He has done nothing wrong officially yet except go out and the rest is ATM... he said..she said....and of course police have enough to charge him on her word alone and after interviewing the boys...so they should.
But what would we be saying if down the track if he is proved innocent and what went on was different to how it is being reported!.

Answer..just stop all rugby league players or high profile sports having contact with alcohol and the public so nothing can go wrong...let alone try and have a mutual relationship with a partner.
Lock em in a building only to be let out upon supervision for work duties until their career is over.
That is what I am hearing from media and high profile people outcrying and people on here..cause that is the sanitised way of life its heading for.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I imagine Meninga will say is, 'but I was innocent'. In the article he even allows deBelin the presumption of innocence while calling for him to stand down. So he is looking like the hypocrite.

But let's get the crux of this issue. This has very little to do with the rights or wrongs of this case and a lot to do with trial by media.

This Meninga story was front page in News Corp's tabloid flagship. "RUB OUT THE GRUBS!" was the headline. FMD, what chance does justice and due course have when there are headlines like that? They tap into the hysteria and sell advertising space on the back of it. How many more times will the NRL allow the tail to wag the dog?

It'll only stop when we stop buying into this form of media. But I'm not holding my breath.

Bench
Unfortunately if he is allowed to play he will be at the mercy of the fans from opposing teams.
I just don't think his head is going to be in a good place and maybe standing him down might be the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts