What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Dragon

Juniors
Are you talking about the Leagues club or the football club making losses?

And where did you get the information that they have been making losses for the last seven years? I am not sure this is correct.
Football club.
Most years only the GF winners make a profit the rest are propt up by Leauges clubs.
2017 only Broncos made a profit. Last year it was around 5 clubs.

Carlton

Juniors
Football club.
Most years only the GF winners make a profit the rest are propt up by Leauges clubs.
2017 only Broncos made a profit. Last year it was around 5 clubs.

Whether a football club makes a profit or not depends a lot on how much the leagues club contributes. This the reason for the existence in the first place and is reflected in the Leagues Club charter. St George Leagues club has been profitable and has an extremely strong balance sheet. They had over a number of years gradually reduced their contribution to the football club which I think may have been because of the joint venture arrangements. If you read the League Club purpose one of the major purposes is to promote rugby league within the St George area, for this reason I dont believe that the Leagues Club is legally fulfilling its charter.

possm

Coach

hewi

Bench
There is no doubt in my mind that the JDB affair has adversely effected the performance and mentality of our team/players. It is time to leave matter to the courts and get on with preparing for season 2020. This season is gone and so the best we can expect as fans, is for the club to be in a much better position to compete in 2020.

Why would it be any different with the same coach?

possm

Coach
Thats a bugger. I bet this holds up the salary cap relief.
Well I thought the decision had holes in it and the NRL's position was weak. I'd even go as far as saying I think the judgment was bias.

So good on Jack, go for it. The Dragons season is over anyway and our recruitment has not acted quickly to replace De Belin with little chance now of securing a replacement prior to June 30.

The Damo

Juniors
Well I thought the decision had holes in it and the NRL's position was weak. I'd even go as far as saying I think the judgment was bias.

So good on Jack, go for it. The Dragons season is over anyway and our recruitment has not acted quickly to replace De Belin with little chance now of securing a replacement prior to June 30.
Which part of the judges decision had holes or was biased? Can you quote the relevant part please?

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons player Jack de Belin set to launch fresh legal challenge against stand-down rule
  • Local Sport
    r1142_140_3555_1594_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack De Belin outside Wollongong court last month. Picture: Adam McLean

Jack de Belin is set to launch a Federal Court appeal that will result in a fresh legal challenge to the validity of the NRL's controversial "no fault" stand-down policy.

It has been revealed de Belin will lodge the action on Friday, just before the 21-day deadline to do so expires. The move came just a day after Israel Folau's legal representatives filed applications with the Fair Work Commission in a bid to deal with the termination of his $4 million Rugby Australia contract on religious freedom grounds.

De Belin's decision to fight on, the result of a series of secret meetings with legal advisors, is believed to have caught the NRL off guard. Only three weeks ago, Justice Melissa Perry ruled in favour of the ARL Commission in the landmark case after wading through more than 3000 documents and hearing four days of evidence in the Federal Court.

De Belin's appeal will put that decision under the microscope as he attempts to make an immediate return for St George Illawarra. The Blues forward has engaged new legal representation, who must prove Justice Perry made an error of law in reaching her verdict and that the mistake was significant enough to overturn the decision. Usually a Full Court of three or more judges sitting together will hear an appeal, although no new evidence can be submitted and witnesses can't be called. However, legal argument can be heard from both parties, with the burden on de Belin's team to prove a principle of law was incorrectly applied or that Justice Perry's finding wasn't supported by the evidence.

Justice Perry's original decision was a huge win for the governing body, which was under pressure to take action after a series of off-field incidents damaged the game's brand. Several sponsors, most notably major backer Telstra, threatened to walk away if strong action wasn't taken.

To that end the NRL introduced "rule 22a", whereby any player charged with an offence carrying a maximum prison term of 11 years is automatically stood down until their court proceedings are finalised.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated sexual intercourse stemming from an incident involving him and Shellharbour Sharks Group 7 player Callan Sinclair in Wollongong in the early hours of December 9. De Belin last month had two additional charges laid against him in relation to that matter.

The new protocols are believed to be the first of their kind in world sport. The ARLC was unanimous in backing the new hardline stance in player behaviour, although chairman Beattie quickly became the face of the campaign to have them introduced. Speaking after Justice Perry's decision, he conceded his job was at risk if they didn't withstand legal scrutiny.

"I'm not stupid, I knew my leadership was on the line," Beattie said at the time.

Beattie's position could again come into question if the Full Court overturns the original decision. Such a move would have widespread ramifications for the game, beginning with de Belin's immediate reintroduction into the Dragons side.

The Dragons are seeking a salary cap exemption from the NRL in order to field a replacement for de Belin, with the parties arguing over who should fit the bill. It will become a moot point if de Belin is successful in his latest legal bid.

Sydney Morning Herald
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...nch-fresh-legal-challenge-against-nrl/?cs=302

TruSaint

Referee

Wow,

Mate, pretty sure the decision handed down was posted / linked in this forum. How you can draw a conclusion of "bias" or "weak"..

Jack can appeal the decision. Its his call, or that in consultation with his new legal team. A matter that was subsiding is now back in the spotlight, lawyers making plenty, and his biggest challenge is some time away.

As to the JUne 30 deadline, how do we know that the NRL would not have extended us some time to use the funds available, seeing as this is a unique case ? Why would they now ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wow,

Mate, pretty sure the decision handed down was posted / linked in this forum. How you can draw a conclusion of "bias" or "weak"..

Jack can appeal the decision. Its his call, or that in consultation with his new legal team. A matter that was subsiding is now back in the spotlight, lawyers making plenty, and his biggest challenge is some time away.

As to the JUne 30 deadline, how do we know that the NRL would not have extended us some time to use the funds available, seeing as this is a unique case ? Why would they now ?

Complete stuff up by whoever was responsible for applying for the cap relief.
Point 1:The sad fact is that waiting for JDB to make his original appeal and expecting a positive result, shows how little planning goes into running the Club.
The second point is that the cap relief we got only came in what a week or so ago so it will take time to attract the "right" replacement like for like.
Third point is, now that if appears JDB will mount a further appeal, which now goes back to point 1 and will we wait again,
The final point is even if do use the funds given to us now and JDB is successful on this appeal do we have to release the newly signed player or do we release a current player/s (who would be getting around the amount of the cap relief).

Oh, and 1 final thing, does our coach now plan and pump up the return of JDB again with the very prospect of being let down. Another excuse in the bag!

TruSaint

Referee
Complete stuff up by whoever was responsible for applying for the cap relief.
Point 1:The sad fact is that waiting for JDB to make his original appeal and expecting a positive result, shows how little planning goes into running the Club.
The second point is that the cap relief we got only came in what a week or so ago so it will take time to attract the "right" replacement like for like.
Third point is, now that if appears JDB will mount a further appeal, which now goes back to point 1 and will we wait again,
The final point is even if do use the funds given to us now and JDB is successful on this appeal do we have to release the newly signed player or do we release a current player/s (who would be getting around the amount of the cap relief).

Oh, and 1 final thing, does our coach now plan and pump up the return of JDB again with the very prospect of being let down. Another excuse in the bag!

Accurate summary IMO.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons player Jack de Belin granted an expedited appeal by Federal Court
  • Local News
    r529_346_3531_2182_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack de Belin leaves the Federal Court in Sydney on Wednesday. Picture: AAP

• Sidelined St George Illawarra star Jack de Belin will have to wait at least another seven weeks before his appeal against the NRL's contentious stand-down policy is heard in the Federal Court.

The 28-year-old, who pleaded not guilty to raping a 19-year-old woman in December, has not played this season after the league introduced a no-fault stand-down policy for players facing serious criminal charges.

It's de Belin's second attempt to overturn the policy after Federal Court Justice Melissa Perry ruled in May that the NRL was acting lawfully to protect its interests.

Federal Court Judge Jayne Jagot on Wednesday agreed to expedite the former NSW State of Origin lock's appeal after hearing his legal team were "essentially ready to go".

However constraints upon the NRL's lawyers mean the one-and-a-half-day hearing before the full court isn't expected before August 14.

It means even if de Belin is successful, he won't be eligible to play until at least round 22 of the 2019 season.

The court was told the main point of contention was whether the rule went further than reasonably necessary for the protection of the integrity of the NRL.

De Belin sat beside his manager, Steve Gillis, at the back of the court during the brief hearing in Sydney.

He has maintained his innocence since being charged with sexual assault in December.

It's anticipated any trial may not take place until 2020.

AAP
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ons-player-jack-de-belins-nrl-appeal/?cs=1507

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts