What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

steeden.

Juniors

Perth Red

Post Whore
“CAPRICORN CORPORATION (WA) PTY LTD” does apparently

Cheers, that would be Laurie Puddy Id suggest. He came out around that time saying he was putting a bid to get the Western Reds back in and continues to say he wants to bid. Makes sense he would have grabbed the Reds IP.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Did a quick search on IP Australia and I didn’t realise Mascord had the Chargers (which the ARLC is opposing) and the Crushers.
ARLC owns the seagulls now though so I expect that’s next up. Tooheys has form on retros (Origin and Reds) so surely not a hurdle. And Seagulls Leagues are back sponsoring Tweed this year in the HPC so either of those as major sponsors could work
I understand why dead IP might not be at the front of a corporation like the NRL's mind, and how that could lead to the odd one slipping the net, but it's pretty unforgivable that they've allowed so much of it to end up the in the ownership of people whom aren't associated with them.

I can't imagine e.g. the NFL or NHL allowing the Houston Oilers, Hartford Whalers, or Quebec Nordiques, IP's to end up in the hands of other people.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I understand why dead IP might not be at the front of a corporation like the NRL's mind, and how that could lead to the odd one slipping the net, but it's pretty unforgivable that they've allowed so much of it to end up the in the ownership of people whom aren't associated with them.

I can't imagine e.g. the NFL or NHL allowing the Houston Oilers, Hartford Whalers, or Quebec Nordiques, IP's to end up in the hands of other people.
I wonder how much they had to pay Puddy and Cumins to do the Western Reds one? I presume sponsor logos have to be approved by the company if still around as well?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I wonder how much they had to pay Puddy and Cumins to do the Western Reds one? I presume sponsor logos have to be approved by the company if still around as well?
It's possible that the NRL do in fact own it themselves, and are just keeping it under the name of a shell company.

But assuming that they don't, the odds are that it's nothing that they weren't already paying the owners.

The NRLWA has been using the Reds IP on and off for years, so it's more likely than not that they already had some sort of agreement in place with the owners of the Reds IP. Who knows the specific details of that deal, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it'd been in place for well over a decade, and was never intended to be used for this purpose when it was signed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's possible that the NRL do in fact own it themselves, and are just keeping it under the name of a shell company.

But assuming that they don't, the odds are that it's nothing that they weren't already paying the owners.

The NRLWA has been using the Reds IP on and off for years, so it's more likely than not that they already had some sort of agreement in place with the owners of the Reds IP. Who knows the specific details of that deal, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it'd been in place for well over a decade, and was never intended to be used for this purpose when it was signed.
I was always interested why they changed the name when we relaunched the Reds bid.

Reds-logo-yellow (1).jpg

Nuke

Staff member
There was always two versions of the Western Reds logo at the time. I'd have to dig out my original jersey to find out which one features on it, thus would logically be the more official one, but perhaps one was owned by Puddy or whomever over here and the other may have been property of the ARL / NSWRL. They are very similar, but the main differences being: the fending hand, the nose, eye, ears, 'Western' typeface, and the scratchiness of the appearance of the word 'Reds'.
Perth_Western_Reds.png
images.jpeg-1.jpg

The first one has always made me think it's a final draft and the 2nd one was the final artwork.
I do have a clearer version of the 2nd logo, but it's on my laptop.

I see that the first of these logos is the one being used on these Retro items, so if I'm right about the ownership, then that one would be the one the ARL have the rights to.

The Great Dane

First Grade
There was always two versions of the Western Reds logo at the time. I'd have to dig out my original jersey to find out which one features on it, thus would logically be the more official one, but perhaps one was owned by Puddy or whomever over here and the other may have been property of the ARL / NSWRL. They are very similar, but the main differences being: the fending hand, the nose, eye, ears, 'Western' typeface, and the scratchiness of the appearance of the word 'Reds'.
View attachment 70711
View attachment 70712

The first one has always made me think it's a final draft and the 2nd one was the final artwork.
I do have a clearer version of the 2nd logo, but it's on my laptop.

I see that the first of these logos is the one being used on these Retro items, so if I'm right about the ownership, then that one would be the one the ARL have the rights to.
There's no way that those two logos are different enough for it not to be considered a breach of copyright. The people whom registered the trademark first would win instantly if they challenged it.

I can almost guarantee that the two different versions of the logo are for practical reasons, and not owned by two different parties.

Nuke

Staff member
I can see why they changed the nose on the first one lol
Nose, face, hand...

The 2nd one in my post is 100% better than the 1st one, hence why I always felt it was more a latter-stages draft compared to the 'finished product' version.

MugaB

Coach
Nose, face, hand...

The 2nd one in my post is 100% better than the 1st one, hence why I always felt it was more a latter-stages draft compared to the 'finished product' version.
All true, but maybe the first one was an easier logo to get stitched on as a logo/badge, nowadays not an issue, back then going cheap on details like the nose, and eyes traslated onto the actual badge, but i don't think that was the case

Last edited:

214Four

Juniors
TpV52t8B

I think that a quick and simple way Parramatta could add a special touch onto their indigenous jersey is if they changed Parramatta to its original indigenous name. BURRAMATTA. I don't know how many people are aware but when the Europeans first asked the local tribes people what name they had for the area, they miss understood "burra" for 'parra'.

Last edited: