What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerseys & Sponsors -- 07!

yobbo84

Coach
innsaneink said:
No.

The point of alternate jerseys is to avoid colour clashes with opponents.

Souths dont clash with any other team.

Bingo. Save for about 5 clashes (out of 189) during the year, the "alternate" jersey is simply a marketing exercise.

Knightmare

Coach
What I hate is when teams like Brisbane and Cronulla bring out these away jerseys that don't even have the original team colours on them. Since when have Brisbane's main colours been navy blue and white? Ditto the Sharks and that awful grey get-up they wear. Who designs these things and furthermore, who approves them?

Inferno

Coach
Whoever designed that Sharks one should be hung/quartered and fed to the dogs. It is the absolute worst Jersey I have ever seen bar NONE. Honestly I wouldn't f*cken take one if they were giving them away. Stuck with it for another 2 years as well, same as the poofy white shorts we wear with them.

On the flip side we are reverting back to the Sky Blue for all our home games next year:D

Knightmare

Coach
I've actually seen people wearing that Sharks away jersey and also people wearing the Storms' away jersey. I think I'd rather pay somebody to vomit on my naked body that wear those.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

I maintain that the best Jerseys in the game are (in no order):

Souths home (til 06 anyway)
Bulldogs home (vee)
Dragons home (vee)
Roosters retro (stripes)
Manly home (predominantly maroon with white bars)
Cronulla home (the retro one, not the ridiculous aqua-blue thing they used up until this year)

I also like how Newcastle have a simple inversion of their HAA in two COMPLETELY opposite colours. Very effective. The Cowboys away strip (a throwback to 95 IIRC) is another one worthy of a mention.

Any other team jersey or sponsor news?

Red Bear

Referee
Souths, Home and Geratige Roosters and Dragons jerseys are the best for sure.

When will jersey designers learn the traditional and simple jerseys are the best?

Timmah

Staff member
Some of the newer ones can hit the nail on the head but at the end of the day, traditional is best :thumb

Alex28

Coach
None of the Knights major sponsors are changing this year - Coal & Allied and NIB are still on board for 07. Subway stays on the shorts. Not sure about the security company though.

Timmah said:
Saints
Can't imagine a change by adidas two seasons straight. I'd also imagine that SGB would be a long term sponsor.

Expect several minor changes for 2007. Bigger V, St. George Bank logo on the back inside a red box, adoption of side panel design (kind of like '07 Souths jersey but less obvious because it'll be white like the rest of the jersey).

No word on sponsors. St. George Bank still have one more year on their (four year) deal. Globe Project Group (sleeve sponsor) signed on for one year plus one year option back in 2004. As far I know there was no announcment of an extension for the 2006 season, so who knows what is happening in '07? No idea about the shorts sponsor - Hard Yakka.

The Colonel

Immortal
Parramatta will have three new jerseys - predominantly blue, predomininatly yellow and predominantly white - next season plus a commemorative jersey based on the 1947 jersey for the 60th anniversary celebration. Pirtek, Red Rooster and Parklea Markets will remain as sponsors I believe as well.

yobbo84

Coach
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Expect several minor changes for 2007. Bigger V, St. George Bank logo on the back inside a red box, adoption of side panel design (kind of like '07 Souths jersey but less obvious because it'll be white like the rest of the jersey).

No word on sponsors. St. George Bank still have one more year on their (four year) deal. Globe Project Group (sleeve sponsor) signed on for one year plus one year option back in 2004. As far I know there was no announcment of an extension for the 2006 season, so who knows what is happening in '07? No idea about the shorts sponsor - Hard Yakka.

I think those side-panel things are slightly different material to help breath better or something like that...

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Timmah said:
They should stick with purple, most people easily identify with it as being Melbourne's colour - and up to three other clubs already make use of the navy colour anyway - purple is a pretty individual and striking colour.

The purple is being used for of field items at this stage.

The story for those that don't know of Storm's colours.

The main item is the Big V (being for Victoria) which is navy blue with a white V, this slightly changed when Fila introduced the lightening blots in the shape of the V for something different.

The club looked at what other colours would work with navy blue and white to be able to have a range of female clothing.

The purple and gold worked well with the other two colours, hence why in 97 they were the colours the club went for.

As for the Medibank logo, I agree in part, but as it is their logo and the money they are paying for it....I don't care, the Adecco was about the same

The club have a policy that you can't get the front of the jersey for under $900,000. It was a million for both front and back, but thought they could get more for splitting it up.

Last I heard the Storm kit was worth more than any AFL club apart from Collingwoods and Essendons.

On reflection they're not really like the Souths side panels at all. Truth is, the players have had side panel jerseys for a while. Here's the 'player cut' jersey.

jersey-cut.jpg

You can see the seems where the side panels meet the front and section.

Timmah

Staff member
Exactly. IIRC they wore the black vs Canberra @ Canberra this year:

Croker%20J%206060301%20R_579637_p.jpg

And the inverse at Telstra:

Brawl%206072931%20X_490065_p.jpg

Timmah

Staff member
I think the important thing to remember with away jerseys is that they're really only needed for around 1/4 of each teams season. The only teams that seem to use their away strips frequently are Brisbane & Wests Tigers really...

aids

Bench
actually i think we used the alt(orange) jersey more than the main one this year.

any changes to the dogs strip for 07?