What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerseys & Sponsors -- 07!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It was unnecessarily brought up to try to instill guilt in "Super League" teams. It wasn't bought up as part of a history lesson or a topic of dicsussion, only used as a nasty jibe toward a club that happened to be involved. Doesn't help anyone.

Red Bear

Referee
Agree it shouldnt have been brought up in this discussion (although you cant deny super league jerseys were f**ken shockers) but i cant let that get over it through to the keeper ;)

Nuke

Staff member
I'm kind of annoyed that Cronulla were allowed to revert to their old-style jersey. I remember reading a couple of years ago that Newcastle approached the NRL (before they changed their jerseys to the current ones) and asked if they could use their old-style jersey as the main one. The NRL apparently said 'no' because they wanted them to keep it's design for retro games. If that's the case, then how come Cronulla got to revert to their old jersey design?

Timmah

Staff member
High sales I'd assume. That jersey will continue to sell IMO, it's a very good design that I would wager 90% of Cronulla faithful like.

Newcastle's could've been an issue with the jersey manufacturer... I'm really not sure. Either way I think Newie's current jersey set is pretty simple and good anyway.

Timmah said:
It was unnecessarily brought up to try to instill guilt in "Super League" teams. It wasn't bought up as part of a history lesson or a topic of dicsussion, only used as a nasty jibe toward a club that happened to be involved. Doesn't help anyone.

My point was that Canterbury have had the same jersey design for the past nine seasons, just so happens to be a super league design.
In an era where the NRL has said each jersey design has a life span of three years, why do Canterbury still only have the same jersey from '97?

I'm sorry, but I can't forget what super league did to the game. You maybe able to get on with it, but I can't and think that we should never forget it so that it never happens again. There is a lot to learn from it.

I don't think the Manly jersey will change that much tbh. The logo will change, but other then that, I think all the sponsors will stay the same.The away jersey needs to be changed as well for mine.

phonetic

Juniors
Canterbury should go back to their 80's/early 90s design, the old HFC finance double vee. Beaaauuutiful.

I hated all of the super league jerseys. The Canterbury jersey is just a reminder of the whole thing. Those designs are cheap and nasty in my opinion. Thankfully most teams are getting away from that kind of look.

The new Souths home one looks pretty good.

There's talk of our jersey having a more pronounced vee, so hopefully that comes about. I didn't mind the adidas designs this year, at least on the players. The sponsors as they are look pretty good. I'd like for adidas to come up with some better training/supporter gear. A really nice retro adidas 3 stripe tracksuit ensemble would be superb. White with red stripes, and the reverse, red with white stripes. Superb.

Timmah

Staff member
Henson Park Hornets said:
My point was that Canterbury have had the same jersey design for the past nine seasons, just so happens to be a super league design.
In an era where the NRL has said each jersey design has a life span of three years, why do Canterbury still only have the same jersey from '97?

I'm sorry, but I can't forget what super league did to the game. You maybe able to get on with it, but I can't and think that we should never forget it so that it never happens again. There is a lot to learn from it.

That's not the point. It was brought up by you unnecessarily, so you could complain about it. There's no need to bring it up about something as petty as jersey designs.

In an era where fans whinge about constant jersey change, what is wrong with a similar* over nine years.

* - Hardly the same jersey, plenty of design change from the disgusting 1997 version. The vee has changed shape, the lines have changed and the blue colour used has also changed. It works, we wear it with pride, no point in changing. It's a Bulldogs NRL jersey, not a Super League jersey, get over it.

The fact you've whored yourself out to the Jets after Balmain lost their spot in the top flight is laughable.

In case you missed it get over it. The game won't move forward when wankers like yourself whinge about 1996 and 1997 like something is owed to them. Too little, far too late.

innsaneink

Referee
Silva%2cRod%2098_2%20copy_403668_p.jpg
384188.jpg

Its a super league jersey, just the barest of change.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Timmah said:
You sure? I remember seeing the C&A deal inked til the end of '07...?

Last year a company (but cant remember the name) signed with the Knights on a $4M/5yr deal starting from next year.

Alex28

Coach
Coal & Allied def has the jersey sponsorship from next year. Bluetongue have the pourage rights through to 2010 and don't have any sponsorship on the jersey (maybe on the shorts next year given the deal was signed so close to the start of the 2006 season).

C&A and NIB are def the jersey sponsors next year.

Timmah

Staff member
Bluetongue/Singleton have a large stake in the club as a result of that deal IIRC. I'm 90% sure the C&A deal was til the end of '07.

choc_soldier

Coach
Penrith's new away jersey will be predominantly white. The word "revolutionary" has been used in the description... by the marketing manager.

A release date hasn't been announced yet.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Brisbane have announced that they will have new home and away strips for next season. It is said not to be a major overhaul, but a modification/alteration of the current designs.

jed

First Grade
Henson Park Hornets said:
The NRL's concern was that they didn't want to go down the road where clubs were changing jersey designs every season. Clubs are free to use designs for more than 3 years, but are still likely to revise it every few years to keep the merchandise cash registers ticking over.

As has been mentioned, the Canterbury jersey design has evolved over the last few years from the Superleague one. Old history, but the Superleague jerseys all had to be re-designed from scratch because the ARL had some hold over the designs (and also the logos). Someone in their infinite wisdom felt that going in a totally different direction was the right thing to do.

thickos

First Grade
For those who haven't heard... the Raiders new away jersey is a revert to an old one of the mid-90's... completely white, blue collar, green, blue and yellow stripes around the arms and across the middle of the chest. Imagine our home one but the green and white reversed, with an extra band of stripes across the middle.

Latest posts