What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jets best player since yr 2000

Fans choice, best Jet since yr 2000

• Total voters

2 True Blues

Coach
Yeah agree with that HPH. Similar to THOMMO really. And like THOMMO he continually gave a 110% even when riddled with injury. Love that guts style of play.

Hope we have some of it next season and these rooster guys give it all whilst wearing the bluebag jersey.

bucks1972

Juniors
Being an old front rower, for mine the best player has been James Stosic. He put in each and every week that he was there! However, he only narrowly out pointed Thommo in my view and I think that we are truly going to miss these two more than any others next year.

Henson

Juniors
yeah,can't go past pete baumgart,a true jet through and through,and a great bloke to boot,Garth Wood also had plenty of ticker and really enjoyed his time at the Jets,maybe he should come back,he has just left the rabbits i've been told.

2 True Blues

Coach
Yeah I noticed the Rabbits have released him. Garth always caused us grief when we played against him too.

Shame about the points system in Jim Beam Cup. Kinda stops us from recruiting to many ex P/L players. Was however thinking along the same lines Henson.

Maybe now Thommas GEMMEL, and John SINISA have gone to Balmain we can afford some more space with the points system as both these guys did start in Jim Beam last year I think. Thommas was the captain of the Jim Beam side.

I might post the question on the Rabbits website and see if anyone knows where he went, etc.

James like Thommo was awesome Bucks. I hope we have retained James's younger brother next season. The couple of games I saw him play in Beam he was a standout, though suffered some injury issues I think. He looked like he might have the potential to be even better than James one day. He has probably been bought by another club though I hope not. ( What was his first name again guys ??? ).

Do you know if he has been re-signed Bluebag ???

2 True Blues

Coach
Alright I have asked the question on the Bunnies sight.

****Hey that is a top idea for a thread LFNU********

Gonna take some thought though.

Anyone want to have a go. There are a number of players who were great in each position though.

Gonna have to have Peter BAUMGART, THOMMO, STOSIC, MERRIT, Craig FIELD, Cliff BEVERLEY in it off the top of my head. Alf DUNCAN would have to be on one of the wings too. MMMMmmmm. Kinda liked Russel RICHARDSON as well.
Russell AITKIN was awesome at 5/8 but so was Cliff BEVERLEY. Scotty FLEMING was awesome as Hooker ( with lesser players around him ) though Kevin KINGSTON was great too.

MMMmmmm Thats a tough question mate, gonna take some thought !!!
Would be an unstoppable side that's for sure !!!

Jack Holmes

Juniors
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Name the jets best ever team since 2000!

I started supporting in 2001 so have deliberately not included any 2000 players.

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Ben Cook
3. Dustin Cooper
4. Russell Richardson
5. Alf Duncan
6. Troy Barnes
7. Craig Field (c)
13. Phil Leuluai
12. Keith Galloway
11. Bilal Najjarin
10. James Stosic
9. Kevin Kingston
8. David Thompson

14. Chris Williams or Wes Patten or Michael Sullivan
15. Peter Baumgart
16. Thommas Gemmel
17. Tere Glassie

In terms of best Jet since 2000, geez what a toughie but I'll go for Stos

"Trust me, I'm a qualified cricket umpire"

2 True Blues

Coach
Good side JH. But couldnt pick Dustin COOPER, or GALLOWAY. Michael SULLIVAN only played the one game by memory so it's a tough call when in comparision to seasoned vets.

Damn tough question really. There were other players in 2000 who were awesome like Tate MOSLEY, and Mark TOOKEY. Think by memory Tate was the coach Col's best player for the season on presentation night in yr 2000.

2 True Blues

Coach
Further to that Tate by memory got injured towards the end of the season and would have returned for the semi's if we had not have been JUST clipped at the post with equal 8th spot ( beaten by Penrith for the position on for and against ). Penrith knew they had to beat Cronulla by a huge score to make it in advance as played the following day after the Jets beat the Roosters at the SFS.

Penrith did the unbelievable and slaughtered the sharks making the eight. They then went on to play in the grandfinal from eighth spot, only to go down to the Berries in the grandfinal.

both those sides were convincingly beaten during the season year by the Jets.

ALMOST AGAIN BLUEBAGS !!!! bugger !!!

Also good for the Jets in season 2000 were Luke GOODWIN and the leading try scorer of the season CARRIAGE ( from Parra and broncos ).

Jack Holmes

Juniors
2 True Blues said:
Good side JH. But couldnt pick Dustin COOPER, or GALLOWAY. Michael SULLIVAN only played the one game by memory so it's a tough call when in comparision to seasoned vets.

Fair call, but in terms of the best players in their positions, they have all played NRL!?

D

Deleted member 10972

To me, as someone who isn't a fan but likes to learn about other clubs, i can gather this side looks strong.

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Ben Cook
5. Alf Duncan
6. Cliff Beverly
7. Craig Field
8. David Thompson
9. Scott Fleming
10. James Stosic
11. Bilal Najjarin

14. Mark Tookey
15. Russel Aitken

I do not know the positions, & therefore where to slot in, Thomas Gemmel, Peter Baugmart, Tate Mosley, Brad Westaway, Frank Samia, Chris Williams, Tere Glassie, Wes Patten, Russell Richardson, Luke Goodwin, Troy Barnes & George Topham.

2 True Blues

Coach
Yeah Dustin COOPER was always ordinary when he wore the Jersey. Half hearted efforts non stop.

Jason BELL played in year 2000 and was a good player although his heart never seemed to be in it, and was always a solo player when wearing the Royal Blue.

Don't believe just because a player had played NRL he is better than a player that had the misfortune ( for whatever reason ) not to have been given the opportunity to do so. It does not necessarily make him better.

But I definately agree with atleast 50 percent of your picks guys.

Jack Holmes

Juniors
I was actually struggling for centres and didn't want to pick Beau Scott even though he is probably way more deserving .....

I thought Cooper did OK

Who would you have in the centres?

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
How do I vote more than once??? sh*t someone bring back carrier pigeons! and farq bloody computers! it seems to have locked me out since I voted the first time? :-(

2 True Blues

Coach
Probably have Frank SAMIA in the centres for starters. He played better for us as a centre as he did on the wing I reckon. We had so many good centres though.

D

Deleted member 10972

Sorry, Internet problems made me not able to post the rest of the options.

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Ben Cook
5. Alf Duncan
6. Cliff Beverly
7. Craig Field
8. David Thompson
9. Scott Fleming
10. James Stosic
11. Bilal Najjarin

14. Mark Tookey
15. Russel Aitken

I do not know the positions, & therefore where to slot in, Thomas Gemmel, Peter Baugmart, Tate Mosley, Brad Westaway, Frank Samia, Chris Williams, Tere Glassie, Wes Patten, Russell Richardson, Luke Goodwin, Troy Barnes, Tony Caton, Garth Wood, Andrew Le Breton, Luke Ellis, Peter Howie, David Hall, David Howlett, Luke Hession, Steve Grant, Robert Henare, Monah Elahmad, Tabua Cakacaka, & George Topham.

Jack Holmes

Juniors
After viewing the 2005 Newtown Try Highlights DVD I would like to make one change to my best ever team:

Whilst he didn't always give 100% and had the ability to make STUPID mistakes, I'd have to have Cliff 'Horse' Manua off the bench in place of Tere Glassie.

Sticking with Cooper in the centres just ahead of Ryan McGoldrick. The general consensus at the Newtown Merch Stand at Newtown Festival yesterday was that he was far from ordinary during his brief stint at the club.

Latest posts