What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Cabra2Blues

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Anyone know when the fixture list is out? Hoping to get across to Sydney to watch the Reds a couple of times. Which game sin Sydney would be best in terms of ground, atmosphere, welcome etc?
Cabra Sports ground , and widsor are 2 of my favorite grounds they'd be your best bet, alot of the WA under 12 's stayed in cabra while the national exchange was being played ,by all acounts they had a great week ,many stayed after the final ,to watch the cabra v entance game

coachz

Juniors
whispers say an east campbelltown team will be entering also in 2008 backed by wests ctown leagues. i think they won the canterbury a grade comp this year

Nfed

Juniors
WA, East Campbelltown and Cronulla Caringbah are in and Seven Hills are out. That makes 14 but there was talk of 16 teams. North Sydney put in an application but Rugby League Review stated that Norths would replace Asquith. So it is uncertain whether it will be 14, 15 or 16.

If there are 16 teams thy would be split in 2 lots of 8 and there would be 22 rounds with teams playing the group twice and the other group once. 15 would problematic and 14 would imply a 26 round season.

A draw cant be planned until the composition is finalised.

Nfed

Juniors
It appears that the Roosters have signed Luke Branighan. Cabra brought him back from France mid season but he played only 2 games before injury put him out for the rest of the season.

Nfed

Juniors
Wenty stalwart, Adam Capovilla has been forced to retire following a neck injury in the semi final. The damage compounded a serious injury received on the tour of NZ in 2004 that kept him out of the first half of 2005.

A grandstand with room for 5000 people will be constucted at EDSACC Oval, home of THe Entrance.

Cabra2Blues

Juniors
Nfed said:
Wenty stalwart, Adam Capovilla has been forced to retire following a neck injury in the semi final. The damage compounded a serious injury received on the tour of NZ in 2004 that kept him out of the first half of 2005.

A grandstand with room for 5000 people will be constucted at EDSACC Oval, home of THe Entrance.
thanks for all the info Nfed, these off season updates are fantastic

Roland

Juniors
Nfed said:

Unfortunate to be forced out, but the right decision. He was always a standout for Wenty and over a number of years has been in the top few players in the JB/Metro Cup.

Wonder if he will turn up as a coach for Wenty? If anyone is going to oust McCann from the Wenty coaching role it would have to be a Capovilla. Although maybe the the Parramatta relationship next year will bring some other changes.

Nfed

Juniors
I understand that Matt Fuller is the strength and conditioning coach for the Reds. He played 1st grade for 5 clubs incuding the Reds but finished his career as the inaugural captain of the Sydney Bulls in 2000.

He might be surprised to see that 3 other Bulls squad members from 2000 are still in the mix for 2008 - Paul Winterstein, Chris Salem and Charlie Nohra while another, Anthony Mansour retired during 2007.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Nfed said:
I understand that Matt Fuller is the strength and conditioning coach for the Reds. He played 1st grade for 5 clubs incuding the Reds but finished his career as the inaugural captain of the Sydney Bulls in 2000.

He might be surprised to see that 3 other Bulls squad members from 2000 are still in the mix for 2008 - Paul Winterstein, Chris Salem and Charlie Nohra while another, Anthony Mansour retired during 2007.

yep he runs his own gym aswell "Fuller Fitness" i remember when he used 2 play 4 the reds his huge chin just sticks out in my memory

Nfed

Juniors
joondalup_giant said:
yep he runs his own gym aswell "Fuller Fitness" i remember when he used 2 play 4 the reds his huge chin just sticks out in my memory

Do you know if his brother Paul is involved with the gym. Paul was connected with the gym scene when he was with the Bulls.

Nfed

Juniors
Don Thompson (cabramatta) is the third JBC player to be signed by the Roosters since the end of the season.

Jamie Judge, who started the season with the Sydney Bulls and played 7 games in Premier League for the Bulldogs has signed to play in the Qld Cup with Burleigh Bears. He previously played for Burleigh at Colts level before coming to Sydney.

Nfed

Juniors
Western Australia have signed experiened Centre/Wing Heath Egglestone, who scored 99 tries in 150 games for the Central Queensland Comets. Egglestone has played the last couple seasons for Moranbah in the Mackay comp, this year coached by former Sydney Bulls and Melbourne Storm 5/8 Ben Anderson.

It was reported in the WA press today that the Reds are also interested in Hull backrower Shane McMenemy.

Nfed

Juniors
WA have signed 11 players from the local comp and are aiming to get 17 from NSW, Qld and NZ. The local players are:

Mick Kestral, Jason Godeke, Craig Phillis, Ryan Dickson, James Blake, Zac Keating (North Beach) Pikari Te Wara, Isaac Thomas, Stephen Gherardi, Ben McCrone (South Perth) and Peter Worth (Rockingham).

Craig Phillis is another to have played for the Comets in the Qld Cup while Ryan Dickson has played for Newcastle, Newtown and Souths.

Nfed

Juniors
Brad Davidson, a half or hooker has moved from St George P/L to Shellharbour. I suspect the Marlins will get another 3 or 4 from this source.