What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Nfed

Juniors
There is some news in RLR although they have not caught up with The Entrance situation.

Asquith are also out. RLR says they attempted to form a relationship with both Norths and Ryde Eastwood but both failed and Asquith dont have the money. So it will be a 12 team comp again.

As predicted, Craig Trindall has been signed by Windsor.

East Campbelltown have signed former Wests and Group 6 centre Jamie Szerbank and a couple of flegg boys from Wests, Ben Sauvao and Stephen Harding. The Eagles need to go after some bigger fish if they are not going to get whacked every week.

Shellharbour have lost Kevin Neighbour and Lewis McPhail to Gateshead in the UK, and Peter Magnone to Gundagai.

With Phil Takchi returning to the Sydney Bulls, Khaled Deeb has decided he has more chance of getting a run with Newtown. If he doesnt get a spot in the P/L side he could end up with Newrown's new JBC feeder, Chester Hill. This makes some sense as Cheso had about 9 former Newtown players last year and if they get a few Roosters contracted players they may be more competitive.

Mounties have signed Damien Mostyn, who spent last season with The Grove in the St George comp, after a falling out with the Bulls during the preseason. Pat Galea from wests P/L has also signed. Mounties will have the same issue as in 2007 - they wont be able to fit all their players under the points cap.

At Wenty, Daniel Bell, Keiron Herring, Simon Gwynne have followed Adam Capovilla into retirement.

Cronulla Caringbah are expected to announce the signing of a former Sharks NRL player, other than David Peachey, who is expected to play only A Grade.

Nfed said:
Asquith are also out. RLR says they attempted to form a relationship with both Norths and Ryde Eastwood but both failed and Asquith dont have the money. So it will be a 12 team comp again.

Another one bites the dust. I'm coming to the view that the NSWRL has to review what it's offering to clubs who invest in the competition... Unless there's some kind of return to at least offset the costs JBC will never achieve stability.

Nfed

Juniors
Wenty JBC/A Grade prop Kevin Prior played 3 tests on the PNG tour of Europe - 2 vs France and 1 vs Wales.

Nfed

Juniors
Trials Confirmed.

24 Feb
Wenty vs Windsor at Ringrose Park (JBC and State Cup)

1 March
WA Reds vs Sydney Bulls at Perth

8 March
WA Reds vs Souths Logan Magpies at Perth

Spike

First Grade
cumberlandsashes81 said:
Another one bites the dust. I'm coming to the view that the NSWRL has to review what it's offering to clubs who invest in the competition... Unless there's some kind of return to at least offset the costs JBC will never achieve stability.

Agreed, with so many teams entering and exiting the comp since it started, it's losing any real structure and makes it harder to draw sponsorship as well as crowd support. It's quickly becoming (more so) amaturish and micky mouse like.

baddog

Juniors
Spike said:
Agreed, with so many teams entering and exiting the comp since it started, it's losing any real structure and makes it harder to draw sponsorship as well as crowd support. It's quickly becoming (more so) amaturish and micky mouse like.

and yet it's better organised, supported, and resourced than the premier league. jbc get travelling money and sports drinks and tv coverage. premiers gets zip.

Cabra2Blues

Juniors
baddog said:
and yet it's better organised, supported, and resourced than the premier league. jbc get travelling money and sports drinks and tv coverage. premiers gets zip.
as was said before jbc clubs pay for the tv coverage

baddog

Juniors
Cabra2Blues said:
as was said before jbc clubs pay for the tv coverage

yes, they pay part of the cost. nswrl also chip in and organised it. premier league clubs weren't even offered the opportunity, because nswrl don't promote or support their own major comp.

looks like they will this year though. lazy pricks are going to do one week premier league one week jbc on foxtel so jbc lose half of their cover and premier league gets the same sh*tty coverage as jbc.

no travelling allowances or other support for premier league.

Nfed

Juniors
Race on to sign Tigers stars
04Dec07
THE frantic race to sign players is well and truly on after The Entrance's shock withdrawal from the Jim Beam Cup last week.

Rivals clubs are fighting hard to snare the signatures of several star players, including Tigers premiership-winning skipper and player of the year Alex Moore.

Several clubs, including Erina, Wyong and the Central Coast Storm, have been in talks with several Tigers players.

It is understood Moore, who also works as a development officer with The Entrance, is leaning towards a return to the Premier League. Storm coach Jamie Feeney said Moore ``would handle the Premier League well'' while Canterbury is also understood to be in the mix. It is expected Moore will stay on at the Tigers as a development officer if he plays in the Premier League.

Moore, a former Manly Premier League player, met with the Bulldogs yesterday.

Jamie Davis and Chris Birchall are both likely to sign with Wyong this week, while Brett Blaker is tipped to play with Jim Beam Cup club Wentworthville.

Erina football manager Michael Newton confirmed the club was meeting with several The Entrance players this week.

``Any club would be mad not to look at the options available but we've got to be mindful of our expenditure,'' Newton said.

``We're not in the market for the Tigers high profile stars but we've got meetings with three or four players this week. We'd be crazy not to look at the possibility of signing some players, not just from The Entrance.''

Wyong coach Paul Stringer expected Davis and Birchall to be at training last night and more Tigers could follow to play in the Tooheys Cup.

``I'd be interested in a lot of them,'' Stringer said.

``I've spoken to Alex Moore and put together a package for him so he's got a decision to make. We got to the grand final last season so there's no guarantee for anyone. But we're definitely looking to bolster our squad.''

Feeney had previously spoken to players from The Entrance about a move to the Premier League.

``At that time they indicated they wanted to stay at The Entrance but things could be different now,'' Feeney said.

``There's a few guys who are capable of playing in the Premier League and I'd certainly be willing to give them a trial.''

Nfed

Juniors
The Entrance keen for a quick return
04Dec07
THE Entrance coach Jamy Forbes is hopeful the club will be able to make a quick return to the Jim Beam Cup in 2009.

Forbes, who guided the club to a second title in five years two months ago, is still coming to terms with the club's shock withdrawal from the competition last Wednesday.

But the former hooker looks set to stay on the club in 2008 as the club's head coach.

Final details are still to be confirmed but Forbes is likely to stay on and oversee all the club's senior teams.

While confirming he did ``speak to a few clubs'' Forbes' first priority was always to stay.

``I'm very happy at the club and while it is very disappointing not to be in the Jim Beam Cup there's a chance we could get back after next year,'' he said.

``That was a big factor in my decision. I'm optimistic we'll only be out for 12 months.

``A lot of factors come into play but if we can get the finances in order it would be great to go back and try and win it again.''

The Entrance Leagues Club chief executive officer Mark Chaffey would love to see the club back in the Jim Beam Cup.

``We certainly haven't ruled out a return in 2009,'' Chaffey said.

``We'll review our financial situation in September.''

Nfed

Juniors
Gong chimes as Wooden shifts camp
04Dec07
REPRESENTATIVE prop Grant Wooden is unlikely to play on the Central Coast again after he agreed to terms as captain-coach of West Wollongong last week.

Wooden, 28, is contracted to the Erina Eagles in 2008 but is expected to be given a conditional release so he can take up the position with the Illawarra Rugby League heavyweights.

Eagles football manager Mick Newton confirmed the club gave the former Manly, Newcastle and Central Coast prop permission to speak to clubs. He said he would not be given a release to play for rival clubs in the Jim Beam Cup or Central Coast first division.

Wooden, who made his first grade debut with Erina as a teenager and has played more than 100 first grade games for the club, looked set to join Thirlmere in the Group 6 competition.

``But I got a call from the club and it looks like that competition could develop into a second division premiership, they're having a lot of dramas,'' the NSW Country representative said.

``I got out of those commitments and then I found out Jason Ferris retired as captain-coach of West Wollongong. It all happened very quickly.

``The Illawarra competition is a similar standard to the Jim Beam Cup and Newcastle so I'm looking forward to it. I want to play until I'm 33 or 34 and coaching is something I've also wanted to do. It's a great opportunity.''

Wooden has been regarded as one of the best players in country rugby league for many years. He had a turbulent season with the Eagles in 2007.

He fell out with officials early in the season when he indicated he would struggle to continue playing in the Jim Beam Cup due to work commitments.

``I've got some good memories of my time at Erina,'' Wooden said.

Sourced: Central Coast Express Advocate

Nfed

Juniors
I understand that Charlie Herekotokuku from Mounties and Matt Hunt from Erina are training with Norths P/L as is Nathan McKay, who played for limited periods (very unfit)
in a few games for Seven Hills last year.

girvie

Staff member
Nfed said:
I understand that Charlie Herekotokuku from Mounties and Matt Hunt from Erina are training with Norths P/L as is Nathan McKay, who played for limited periods (very unfit)
in a few games for Seven Hills last year.
What is your opinion on Herekotukutuku and Hunt? Do you think they could go well in PL?

I know Herekotukutuku has pretty good footwork. I haven't heard much about Matt Hunt.

Nathan McKay joined Norths Jersey Flegg mid-way through last season and i thought he played pretty well. He could probably play for short bursts off the bench.

Nfed

Juniors
Charlie could fit in. He had a contract with the Roosters in 2006 and played some P/L but was sent down to JBC later in the season. I havent seen enough of Hunt to judge. He is a hooker so you have do something special to stand out unless you get to see him every week.

Nfed

Juniors
Underachieving Eagles keen to bolster ranks
06Dec07
ERINA - the Central Coast's only remaining Jim Beam Cup club - has hit the player market hard this week. Since joining the competition in 2003 the Eagles have been major disappointments, failing to reach the finals and regularly finishing in the bottom half of the table.

But with The Entrance's demise from the competition plenty of top players are looking for clubs. Asquith is another late withdrawal from the Sydney-based competition which frees up more talented players. The Eagles are more than happy to step in to provide a lifeline.

``We've spoken to four players from The Entrance and three from Asquith this week,'' Eagles football manager Michael Newton said on Wednesday. ``There's four spots available on our roster and we're confident of the seven we've spoken to we'll have four signed up by Tuesday. Our recruitment for next season will then be complete.''

Meanwhile, Newton said the football club was about to undertake a full review of expenditure. The poker machine tax and changed smoking regulations are hitting all clubs hard. Erina was no different, but Newton said the club believed it had a long-term future in the Jim Beam Cup.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Nfed any idea on who the new recruits are for Erina ?

Also whether to include in this Thread are the Ins and Outs of Jim Beam Cup

Nfed

Juniors
The Wrong Eye said:
Nfed any idea on who the new recruits are for Erina ?

Also whether to include in this Thread are the Ins and Outs of Jim Beam Cup

The Central Coast paper gives very good coverage so I think we may get a follow up story next Friday detailing Erina signings. As the info is coming in small spurts at the moment I will keep updating but in Feb/March I will prepare a master list.

Nfed

Juniors
Spike said:
No doubt the Eagles will swoop on a few scraps felt by the Entrance

Yeah but some of the lesser players with Central Coast Storm getting about 5, Norths 1, Wyong 2 and Wenty 1, the cream is gone depending on what Alex Moore does.

Nfed

Juniors
Hull backrower, Shane McMenemy, will arrive in Perth in late January to take up his position as the marquee signing for the Reds, who will be charging $15 for entry at their games at MES.

Latest posts