What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup - Fixtures, Teams and Results

Nfed

Juniors
The Sydney Bulls beat Newtown 56-22 yesterday in the Jim Beam Cup Grand Final at Telstra Stadium, the curtain raiser to the Storm-Dragons game.

The Bulls only lost two games throughout the season but that means nothing if you don’t win the finals games.

Two monumental errors early in the game gave Newtown the opportunity to lead 6-0 and then 12-6. Each time Fred Briggs found himself on the end of a quick response to lock up the scores. The Bulls started to get on top by committing to their running game combined with a good defensive line, to lead 22-12 just before half time. Another error in their quarter on the first tackle saw Newtown respond with some nifty backline play for Adam Sarkis to score in the opposite corner. Toufic Nicholas converted for a 22-18 scoreline to the Bulls at half time.

The first ten minutes after half time are often crucial and with the entire Bulls starting front row sitting on the bench, the Jets charged into the Bulls red zone in the first set. The defence held and when all the passes stuck in the next 14 minutes, the Bulls piled on 4 tries to lead 44-18 with 25 minutes to go. It was classic Bulls and it was good to see them putting it on for a slightly bigger crowd than usual. The Bulls continued to attempt to score from every set and to Newtown’s credit they didn’t let the score blow out much further.

Paul Winterstein became the fourth player to 100 first grade games for the Bulls and celebrated with 3 grand final tries! Fred Briggs, brought in from La Perouse mid-season, is likely to attract offers after another great performance. Jolly and Tippett again showed their class and superiority, and along with Debartolo at dummy half, had the Bulls playing at speed. Ford had his best game of the season, wingers Barakat and Chahal drove the ball up at every opportunity and Farah and Takchi were strong in the forwards. Rewiti and Charlie H were the best for Newtown.

The Bulls often threaten to win by these scores every week. It was great to see it happen for them in the grand final – they fully deserved to win and to win this way.

Fox Sports 1 is showing this game at 5pm on Wednesday 27th September. Watch and see what is on offer at The Crest every second week each winter. COME AND RUN WITH THE BULLS!!!

mono_mal

Juniors
Has anyone heard any confirmation on the make up of teams in 2006?
Shellharbour City has been confirmed as entering in 2007 and announced by the NSWRL via www.nswrl.com.au.
There has also been reports stating that Chester Hill have been admitted, to the extent that they are currently installing lights at the Terry Hill ground to bring the ground up to Jim Beam Cup standard. This would imply that the team is the Chester Hill Hornets from the Canterbury district junior rugby league.
The following teams have also been mentioned as possible starters in 2007:
Seven Hills Demons: Backed by the wealthy Blacktown City Soccer Club and playing out of the impressive Gabbie Stadium. Currently play in the Parra District Junior League and have improved drastically as a club since the amalgamation with the soccer club. They now field many division 1 teams and were runners up to Wentworthville in the A-Grade Div 1.
Greenacre Tigers: Were apparently seeking funding from a sports club to enable them to enter the competition. I think they were runners up in the Canterbury A-Grade comp and have a coach from the Cook Islands and a number of impressive Cook Island imports.
Guildford Owls: I'm personally involved with the club and havent heard a murmur about this despite RLR mentioning them as a possibility. Have performed poorly in A grade since withdrawing following the inaugural JBC season. With the pokie tax now being reduced this may enable the leagues club to provide additional funding. Knowing the club directors though I highly doubt this.
St Marys: Former Metro Cup club with a strong junior base, excellent ground in Western Weekender stadium and who have recently ended their Premier League association with Penrith. Have also been impressive in the Penrith A-grade comps in recent years with a number of big names within their squad.
Doonside: Extremely strong 2006 Penrith A-Grade side including a number of former first grade players who dominated the competition all season from reports. I dont know if their facilities would be up to standard though or if they are financially secure.
Other mentions: West Belconnen Warriors, Souths Juniors, Forrestville, Collegians.

mono_mal

Juniors
Has anyone heard any confirmation on the make up of teams in 2006?
Shellharbour City has been confirmed as entering in 2007 and announced by the NSWRL via www.nswrl.com.au.
There has also been reports stating that Chester Hill have been admitted, to the extent that they are currently installing lights at the Terry Hill ground to bring the ground up to Jim Beam Cup standard. This would imply that the team is the Chester Hill Hornets from the Canterbury district junior rugby league.
The following teams have also been mentioned as possible starters in 2007:
Seven Hills Demons: Backed by the wealthy Blacktown City Soccer Club and playing out of the impressive Gabbie Stadium. Currently play in the Parra District Junior League and have improved drastically as a club since the amalgamation with the soccer club. They now field many division 1 teams and were runners up to Wentworthville in the A-Grade Div 1.
Greenacre Tigers: Were apparently seeking funding from a sports club to enable them to enter the competition. I think they were runners up in the Canterbury A-Grade comp and have a coach from the Cook Islands and a number of impressive Cook Island imports.
Guildford Owls: I'm personally involved with the club and havent heard a murmur about this despite RLR mentioning them as a possibility. Have performed poorly in A grade since withdrawing following the inaugural JBC season. With the pokie tax now being reduced this may enable the leagues club to provide additional funding. Knowing the club directors though I highly doubt this.
St Marys: Former Metro Cup club with a strong junior base, excellent ground in Western Weekender stadium and who have recently ended their Premier League association with Penrith. Have also been impressive in the Penrith A-grade comps in recent years with a number of big names within their squad.
Doonside: Extremely strong 2006 Penrith A-Grade side including a number of former first grade players who dominated the competition all season from reports. I dont know if their facilities would be up to standard though or if they are financially secure.
Other mentions: West Belconnen Warriors, Souths Juniors, Forrestville, Collegians.

Jonelle

Juniors
Hi, first of all big Congrats to SYD Bulls!!! Well done and well deserved!!!
Excellent game!!!
embarrassing scoreboard result for a Finals though!

Anyways yes, Chester Hill is def going in to the comp. Rumour is they're sponsored by a multi millionaire, correct me if I'm wrong, also trying to organise massive signups for a few JBC players. Most from Cabra eg Francis Betham, Big Willie, Casey etc...
I don't know if these boys would ever leave Cabra due to loyalty. However Big Willie Brown has been signed up for the Roosters 1st Grade 2007, so watch this space!
Congratulations~!!!!! :)

I hope to see more westies in the comp, there is so much talent out there!
Would be a great Comp!
Anyone else hear any news?

mono_mal

Juniors
Yep, the Chester Hill club will be funded by Anthony Laundy, the owner of the Laundy Hotel Group.
The Shellharbour Marlins will also now act as a feeder to the St George Illawarra Dragons PL team and will include a number of contracted Flegg players I'd imagine with the Dragons decision to axe their Flegg team in 2007.
The State Cup looks extremely likely now for 2008!

Jonelle

Juniors
Thanx for that info, great!

I don't know about Doonside however after that incident of winning A & C Grade and lighting up the trophies...
Run by the Bikies which I hear their running of this club has come to an end etc as this was their last year with Dooney. Interesting but don't know the status of Doonsides future for 2007 as they had some talented players.

Nfed

Juniors
The major awards at the Bulls presentation last week were:

Player of the year: Dane Gilmore
Best Back: Steve Jolly
Best Forward: Paul Winterstein

Other awards were made to Chris Smith, Anthony Mansour and Paul Winterstein for passing 100 games during the season while Adam Tippett and Damien Mostyn got awards for 5 years service.

the man

Juniors
cant see doonside being involved as they have alraeady appointed coaches for there agrade next year and also with out there supporters they would not be abl;e to raise the funds and also that side they had this year would not be able to fit in the points system

mono_mal

Juniors
Apparently Seven Hills Demons have put in their application for the 2007 JBC season and are confident they will be admitted.
They will play out of Fairfax Stadium, formerly Gabbie Stadium, and be financially supported by the Blacktown City Soccer Club. They have an improving junior base and were grand finalists this year in the Parramatta DDP Cup.
This would bring the team number to 12, if Newtown are to readmitt their team, making it the biggest JBC yet.

Sydney Bulls
Newtown Jets (??)
Cabramatta Two Blues
Wentworthville Magpies
Windsor Wolves
The Entrance Tigers
Asquith Magpies
Belrose Eagles
Erina Eagles
Shellharbour Sharks
Chester Hill (Hornets?)
Blacktown Demons

chester

Juniors
Is there any confirmed info or even rumours on the teams in 2007 JB Cup , ie who is in, who is not from 2006, any major signings for teams, should be a strong comp especially in 2008 when there is no Premier League. I hear Mt Pritchard are in.

mono_mal

Juniors
Interesting about Mt Pritchard. They've been rumoured to join for years now although I never thought I'd see the day.
There is no question that they have the funds with the pokies palace that is Mounties making substantially more than most NRL Leagues Clubs. It's just the club hasnt seemed too proactive with their rugby league aspirations. There A-Grade, A-reserves and C-grade sides have struggled in past seasons though they have a large junior base with some strong division one teams included.
It seems that the cutting of PL in 08 has made some clubs get their act together with the hope of being an official NRL feeder competing in the top tier NSW competition.
If the NSWRL play their cards right we could see a great State Cup competition that will finally utilise the surplus funds floating around at our second tier leagues clubs.

Nfed

Juniors
David Thompson, a local junior, is the first signing for Chester Hill. He has played NRL for Bulldogs, Cowboys and Souths, played a few games with Sydney Bulls in 2001 and also Premier League with Newtown and St Marys- Penrith Cougars.

Spike

First Grade
Shellharbour have signed Lulia Lulia and Clark Webb from Port Kembla. Lulia is a decent backrower who I think has repped for Group 7. Webb is a halfback.

chester

Juniors
I have been told Steve Goshn former Windsor and Bulls coach will be Mt Pritchard Coach, he should attract some good players.

overtheline

Juniors
Shellharbour also have Bryce Poisel 1/2 5/8th heading their way. Nomitated for Group 6 Player of the Year. Played for Picton in Group 6, Player of the Year, Best & fairest and Best Back. A very good player.

st.george4life

Juniors
overtheline: Shellharbour also have Bryce Poisel 1/2 5/8th heading their way. Nomitated for Group 6 Player of the Year. Played for Picton in Group 6, Player of the Year, Best & fairest and Best Back. A very good player

Player's who are signed by Shellharbour are they also contracted to Saints?
Does that mean if Saints have injuries they're able to get any player from Shellharbour?

Spike

First Grade
Don't know the specific details of the partnership that Shellharbour has with Saints but I would assume it would work like that. Previously you had Jim Beam Cup teams such as Ryde Eastwood when they stood alone would feed Balmain's premier league. Sydney Bulls do it for the Bulldogs, Belrose feeds Manly can't see it being any different

Latest posts