What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jnr League brawl - Hadley calling for Cabra to be banned

Gronk

Staff member
B12 plays rugby for his school in the CAS comp. He previously played for a local (Easts) League side who participated in the Souths Jnrs comp. Gotta say he is one happy camper compared to before.

No agro like the league. No tackles above the shoulder. Refs seem to be of a more mature age and always have the respect of the boys.

Gronk

Staff member
But Rugby is much easier to ref, becasue no one actually knows the rules. When you make a mistake, no one even notices.

Haha this is true. I often go to see the Tahs play with my brother who is a rugby tragic (played for two blues colts). I always ask what the penalty was for and he hardly ever knows !

But Rugby is much easier to ref, becasue no one actually knows the rules. When you make a mistake, no one even notices.

True, they change them every year. I dont know how the players or the refs keep up with them actually. I cant. I do like the fact that they have to "use" the ball now after a maul has stopped. That has sped the game up a bit, plus not being able to pass back into your 22 to kick for touch.

I will shut up now, as this has nothing to do with the thread. :D

Bazal

Post Whore
It's weird that you guys are saying Union out there is more attractive than League...cos here in Canberra it's the total opposite. Maybe it has to do with the relative popularity; down here all the big, dumb, violent, "cool" kids play Rugby where up there when I lived there they all played league...

SDM

First Grade
It's weird that you guys are saying Union out there is more attractive than League...cos here in Canberra it's the total opposite. Maybe it has to do with the relative popularity; down here all the big, dumb, violent, "cool" kids play Rugby where up there when I lived there they all played league...

I think up here a lot depends on which school you go to. At most schools, you dont get a choice, if you want to play footy, you have to play whatever comp the school is in.

I was unfortunate enough to go to one of the only state schools in Sydney that plays union.

Gronk

Staff member
I think up here a lot depends on which school you go to. At most schools, you dont get a choice, if you want to play footy, you have to play whatever comp the school is in.

I was unfortunate enough to go to one of the only state schools in Sydney that plays union.

St Gregory's College Campbelltown have switched to union and now play in the GPS comp with Kings, Scotts, Grammar, Newington etc.

Last edited:

SDM

First Grade
St Gregory's College Campbelltown have switched to union and now play in the GPS comp with Kings, Scotts, Grammar, Newington etc.

Really? That is a massive blow, that school can really produce cricketers and footy players.

strider

Post Whore
mmmmmm - st gregs is a shock - was regularly one of the top schools in the comm bank cup

strider

Post Whore
B12 plays rugby for his school in the CAS comp. He previously played for a local (Easts) League side who participated in the Souths Jnrs comp. Gotta say he is one happy camper compared to before.

No agro like the league. No tackles above the shoulder. Refs seem to be of a more mature age and always have the respect of the boys.

B12? :-k .... is he one of the bananas in pyjamas cousins?

bazza

Immortal

Looking at their website, it appears that they compete in the ISA rugby union on saturdays and still play league during the week in NCS

There are weekly competitions in MCS during the year in AFL, Basketball, Cricket, Rugby League, Touch Football, Football and Rugby 10s. Championships in Athletics, Swimming, Cross Country, Golf and Tennis are contested each year. We enter teams in the NSW Combined Catholic Colleges (CCC) competitions of Cricket, Football, Volleyball and Basketball. We compete in the National Marist Championships for Cricket and Basketball, as well as the Arrive Alive Cup for Open Schoolboys Rugby League.
The College also has competitive sport on Saturdays, as an Associate Member of the Independent Sports Association (ISA) competing in the Division 1 Rugby Union competition. The College contests all age groups giving students an opportunity to represent the College against schools such as Oakhill College, St Patrick’s Strathfield and St Stanislaus’ College Bathurst in one of Australia’s premier Schoolboy Rugby competitions.

http://www.stgregs.nsw.edu.au/content/sport

parra pete

Referee

So what you are really saying is you'd be playing Union if you lived there now...:lol:

Bazal

Post Whore

Thats to do with the new principle or vice principle or boarding head, can't remember what post he took but he used to be the head of Rugby at Marist in Canberra when I was there.

Cupid Stunt

Thats to do with the new principle or vice principle or boarding head, can't remember what post he took but he used to be the head of Rugby at Marist in Canberra when I was there.

That's spot on about it being the principals decision. He has spruked the fact he detests league since he came in last year or the year before & has only to be asked once before he more than willingly extolls the virtues of Union. Pizzes off the Old Boys something shocking! :lol:

Word was that he had some sort of "5 year agenda" type of deal to raise the profile of union in the school & relegate league to simply "the other game". While I agree that is hearsay I have heard it from more than a few people, both current students & alumni.

Gronk

Staff member
Referees involved in furore

BY LES MUIR
17 Jun, 2010 09:46 AM
THREE young Wagga referees have become embroiled in a volatile junior rugby league crisis in Sydney.Group Nine referees Ben Whitby and Jake White were involved in games in the Parramatta junior league at the weekend which erupted in violence -and created a sensation on talkback radio yesterday.
Whitby and White, who were part of a referee exchange program, each sent off players as warring Cabramatta and Wentworthville teams caused on-field mayhem
With relations between two clubs strained to breaking point, the game scheduled to be controlled by Wagga's Sam Went was abandoned before it started.
The drama, which followed the assault of a Parramatta referee by a Cabramatta player a month ago, has plunged junior league in the Eels district into turmoil.
It has also unwittingly thrown Whitby, White and Went into the Sydney sporting spotlight.
2GB radio commentator Ray Hadley yesterday highlighted the involvement of Whitby and White in the furore as he lashed out over the issue, with Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne calling for stern action.
Back in Wagga yesterday, Whitby said the Sydney experience had been "unpleasant".
"None of us were assaulted," Whitby said.
"I did send a player off and called the match off early, about 20 minutes early.
"I can't say much more as it is under investigation."
Whitby, however. said White's game had ended in a brawl, with the Wagga referee dismissing four players in the aftermath.
"Sam Went was to do the last match of the night but it was abandoned," Whitby said.
"No, it wasn't pleasant, not pleasant at all."
Whitby said the Wagga referees have lodged written reports on the games.
"We don't have to go back to Sydney," he said.
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/n...ague/referees-involved-in-furore/1861035.aspx

IFR33K

Coach
Just found out that the referees could be striking with weekends games, in the Parra district.

Hopefully commonsense will prevail, and all junior games are on.

murraymob

Coach
Yep, I look at some Union clubs in comparison to league clubs in the area, and the willingness to make sure everyone gets a fair go and abides by the rules and Union kicks the absolute cr@p out of league in comparison.

maybe you need to look at what clubs you associate with.The clubs in the penrith district go out of there way to support the kids.I have seen as many clowns in unions as league