What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe Switching to 5/8

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21120836-23214,00.html

AUSTRALIA'S best rugby league winger is moving to five-eighth. Melbourne Storm wants star youngster Greg Inglis to become more involved in its playmaking, and it is expected the 20 year old will wear the No.6 jumper this year.

Inglis filled several backline roles in his breakout 2006 NRL season, flitting largely between fullback and the wing in scoring 18 tries. But with veteran five-eighth Scott Hill having left the 2006 runner-up for England, Storm coach Craig Bellamy wants the ball in Inglis's hands more often.

"It's fair to say Craig is looking to get Greg closer to the action," football operations manager Dean Lance said yesterday.

Inglis was named on the wing in a World XIII team after starring throughout last year's Tri-Nations series in which he was leading tries scorer in the No.5 Australia jumper. He was also joint leader in line breaks - 26 all up with Newcastle Knights winger Brian Carney - in last year's NRL competition, with Inglis's powerful and elusive running ability regularly leaving far more experienced players in his wake.

The shake-up would add another formidable element to an already potent backline. With Inglis in the halves alongside last season's Dally M halfback of the year Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater would return permanently to his favourite fullback position. New South Wales and Kangaroos centre Matt King appears likely to team up with Newcastle recruit Anthony Quinn in the centres, with veteran Matt Geyer and Steve Turner on the wings. Quinn has settled in well in pre-season training and is expected to take the place of departed Kiwi Test centre Jake Webster in the No.4 jumper for Storm's three trial matches.

Lance said forward Ryan Hoffman, who played most of last season with a fractured wrist, recently had his plaster removed after post-season surgery and is raring to go. But Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said he was likely to be kept under wraps until the third pre-season match, at home against grand final nemesis Brisbane at Princes Park on March 3.

Powerhouse forward Michael Crocker, who tore the lateral ligament in his left knee during last year's preliminary final, has recovered well from surgery. After recently resuming jogging, Crocker is a chance to return within the first month of the regular season. Others in doubt for the opening rounds include Brett White, who is having a shoulder reconstruction, and Storm's 2006 rookie of the year Adam Blair, who had surgery after suffering a foot injury playing for New Zealand in the Tri-Nations.

Kiwi

First Grade
I dunno about this. Like Gasnier, Ingliss is a runner. Sure Lockyer made the move, but he has a passing and kicking game to go with his running game. I think this will hamper the Storms attack. It'll still be good, but not as good as it would be with a proper 6 there.

nqboy

First Grade
I agree Kiwi. I'll have to be convinced of Gasnier at 5/8 (I don't think it will work at all) and the same goes for Joe. They're just too goood as runners to waste distributing the ball, something that's not natural to them.

aussies1st

Staff member
It'll put way too much pressure on Cronk's kicking game, teams can just target him knowing Inglis won't be getting too much.

Get used to the following: Cronk to Inglis who pushes off the defender and pops a short pass to Slater flying through....TRY !!!.

sheet_ed

Juniors
Bellamy knows that Joe's mind goes wandering sometimes and doesn't get really involved (2006 GF) and he need to train him to be in the thick of it.

The other thing that people haven't mentioned is Inglis's kicking game. I think he can kick a ball 70m. So watch the line drop outs going to to GI Joe.

Mr Saab

Referee
sheet_ed said:
Bellamy knows that Joe's mind goes wandering sometimes and doesn't get really involved (2006 GF) and he need to train him to be in the thick of it.

He got involved, but Berrgian negated everything he tried.

Kiwi

First Grade
sheet_ed said:

The other thing that people haven't mentioned is Inglis's kicking game. I think he can kick a ball 70m. So watch the line drop outs going to to GI Joe.

If that was the case, don't you think he would have been doing the line drop outs last year :crazy: And we did mention his kicking game or lack of it. Face it, he doesn't have one.

nqboy

First Grade
I can see he's probably a natural at long kicking. Dunno what makes me think that, just a gut feeling, but I don't think he would know anything about the subtleties of short kicking of a short kiccking game.

nqboy

First Grade
kia ora storm said:
Get used to the following: Cronk to Inglis who pushes off the defender and pops a short pass to Slater flying through....TRY !!!.
Fair call, if he doesn't score himself.

miccle

Bench
One of those 'wait and see' things imo. Undoubtedly Inglis is one of the best talents in the game and is still so young, but does have the question mark over his organisational game.

Regardless, Cam Smith DOES have all the traits of a halfback when it comes to his kicking and passing organisational game... so I can see Smith and Cronk shouldering a lot of that responsibility leaving Inglis to play his 'normal' game while developing the other skills.

Face it - Inglis is YOUNG and has the world at his feet. Plenty of time to develop more skills in his game to an NRL standard, and in the meantime the Storm will cope more than well with Cronk and Smith shouldering a bit more responsibility.

Great sign for the future of the Storm, and an ominous warning to other teams in the coming years IMO.

Ice777

Bench
I think Bellamy knows what he's doing and he's had this move in mind for a while now. It remains to be seen if it pays off or not but i think it'll work fine. If it doesn't we have other options to go to and he can just go back to being the all round try scoring all freak that we've all seen him to be.

ozbash

Referee
kia ora storm said:

wicked, could picture it as i read it. :D

sheet_ed

Juniors
He got involved, but Berrgian negated everything he tried.
One of Bellamy's snips after the game, he stated that Joe could have been more involved - not belittling Berrigan who covered him very well amd probably unsettled him.

If that was the case, don't you think he would have been doing the line drop outs last year And we did mention his kicking game or lack of it. Face it, he doesn't have one.
There are politics in who gets to kick in every team (i.e. Kimmorley and Orford as goal kickers) - hence he didn't kick last year. In the cross code AFL games Joe stood out like a sore thumb, not just for his marking ability. Let us wait and see - just warning any side that moves up and doesn't expect to see the ball go past their heads. I agree he hasn't go a short kicking game - he doesn't need it with the Cronkster next to him.

Lowdown

Juniors
aussies1st said:
It'll put way too much pressure on Cronk's kicking game, teams can just target him knowing Inglis won't be getting too much.

ROFL....Yep..Scott Hill was a great kicker, too!! ROFL

If Bellamy reckons they've never seen someone so balanced that he can pass effortlessly with either hand, and kick off either foot - sounds like he could be a decent 5/8th.

But poor Cronk...too much pressure

The Colonel

Immortal
Storm coaches have obviously woken up to the fact that Russell Aitken wasn't playing as much in the 6 jersey as Matt Hilder was....... :lol:

Noa

First Grade
Kiwi said:
If that was the case, don't you think he would have been doing the line drop outs last year :crazy: And we did mention his kicking game or lack of it. Face it, he doesn't have one.

Be prepared to eat those words. Everyone in Melbourne knows he has a great kicking game, the thing is though and you may not know this, when your a 19 year-old rookie fb/centre/winger you usually arent called upon to show that skill.

BW Im not a big fan of moving him to 5/8 full-time and Ive yet to see Bellamy say thats where he will be playing, I do see Dean Lance saying though theyd like to move him closer to the action, bit of a difference.