What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel as good as gone

greeneyed

First Grade
Why are we not surprised Cogburn is back in our forum...

Payten was released.

And seems like the Roosters have Hodges desperate to get out of Bondi as well......

thickos

First Grade
Of course the women are free to do what they want, the men aren't interested them 'round Bondi way... :lol:

jed

First Grade
Rooster Cogburn. said:
The men in the east don't have the problem that the blokes in Canberra have. Shrinkage. :lol:

No, of course not - due to lack of use, they've already shrunk away out east.

greeneyed

First Grade
From today's CT:

Monaghan in Roosters' sights
By Bevan Hannan
Monday, 28 June 2004

The Sydney Roosters' decision to grant a release for restless centre Justin Hodges to rejoin Brisbane has dramatically shortened the odds of Canberra's Joel Monaghan landing at Bondi next season.

As revealed in the Canberra Sunday Times yesterday, both Kiwi international Ruben Wiki and Monaghan have rejected three-year deals each worth $750,000 to instead test the National Rugby League player market when the anti-poaching deadline ends on Wednesday.

Having made their best offers, Raiders officials have given up hope of retaining the star duo. General manager Don Furner said the club had not been told how short the Raiders were from the players' preferred asking price.

Speculation had identified big-spending Manly as a likely destination for Monaghan, especially as elder brother Michael is already at the Sea Eagles.

But the Roosters now loom large after last year's runners-up confirmed yesterday that Queensland Origin representative Hodges would be allowed to return to Brisbane.

Hodges almost walked out on the Roosters earlier this year just weeks after signing a three-year contract, but his manager Jim Banaghan - who also represents Monaghan and Wiki - negotiated an exit deal should Hodges fail to settle back into life in Sydney.

The Roosters have now agreed to execute this clause on compassionate grounds.

With skipper Brad Fittler retiring and centre Ryan Cross still unsigned with the July 1 trading period fast approaching, the Roosters are in the market for an elite back.

Representative stars Timana Tahu (Newcastle) and Brent Tate (Brisbane) are the two highest profile outside backs up for grabs this week. Manly is also after Tahu to join its other two big name buys Ben Kennedy (Newcastle) and Brent Kite (St George).

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett spoke confidently on the weekend that Tate would turn down higher offers to stay with Brisbane.

This means Monaghan, who has scored a remarkable 33 tries in the past two seasons, becomes a major target. Recent developments have opened an express passage for Monaghan to become a Rooster and hook up with his former Erindale College schoolmate, Brett Finch.

Furner said the Raiders were desperate to keep both Wiki and Monaghan, and feel they have made generous offers. Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay is meeting Banaghan in the next two days and Canberra is expecting the four English Super League clubs in the race for Wiki - St Helens, Bradford, Wigan and Widnes - to double its offer.

"Some people will say a three-year deal for a 31-year-old is too long," Furner said at the weekend. "But that is how much we value Ruben and it is a big commitment for us."

Wiki has been with the Raiders since 1993 and is one of the proudest and most committed players in the club's history. The New Zealand Warriors have also been linked to Wiki, but it is unlikely he would join a rival NRL team and play against his beloved Green Machine.

The lure of a substantial pay increase and opportunities for travel in Europe may, however, be the quality-of-life enticements that take him to England.

Wiki partnered club legend Mal Meninga in the centres in the Raiders' 1994 premiership campaign before being at the subject of a protracted tug-of-war between Canberra and the then Auckland Warriors. He was briefly known as "Two City Wiki" after both clubs claimed to have his signature. Wiki stood his ground to remain in Canberra and the matter was settled after court hearings in April 1995.

IN POSITIVE news for the Raiders, Monaghan is aiming to make an early comeback from minor knee surgery and could be available for next week's home match against Wests Tigers.

Monaghan had been expected to miss four weeks but that will be slashed to two if he receives clearance to tackle the Tigers.

A cartilage injury suffered in the Raiders' round 14 win against Cronulla kept Monaghan out of last week's loss to the Bulldogs and yesterday's match against the Brisbane Broncos. He hopes to commence running today.

Monaghan had an arthroscope operation 10 days ago and is pleased with the progress after commencing pool running.

"I saw the surgeon and fingers crossed I could possibly play this week," Monaghan said. "If not, definitely the week after when we play the Cowboys.

"In the next couple of days it should come along pretty good.

"The doctor said it will hurt a bit to run but to do as much as I can. So I'll strap it up and hopefully have a jog on Monday."

Edwahu

Bench
Im hoping Monas hasnt been given any offers formally and when he does he will make the right decision. If he leaves he should not be allowed to train with the squad or play any grade. If he feels he cant progress with us then screw him.

greeneyed

First Grade
I hope we are still in with a chance. From today's SMH.

Monaghan not a Rooster yet: manager
By Steve Mascord
June 28, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

Agent Jim Banaghan denied last night Canberra centre Joel Monaghan had been lined up to replace departing Justin Hodges at Sydney Roosters next season.

The Roosters, 56-0 winners over Wests Tigers on Friday night, are preparing to release Hodges on compassionate grounds to return to the Broncos.

The development has led to speculation that off-contract Monaghan, also managed by Banaghan, will be heading to Bondi Junction next year.

"I wouldn't think so," Banaghan said. "Joel is like every other player off contract at the end of June 30 - he is waiting until then and finding out his value on the open market."

He added that Hodges would be at the Broncos next season "if certain conditions were met".

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said: "I can tell you we had a private discussion yesterday about Justin and his family and the difficult situation he has found himself in for the last 2 years. We were given permission to speak to him. I haven't got any more to say on it."

greeneyed said:
I hope we are still in with a chance. From today's SMH.

Monaghan not a Rooster yet: manager
By Steve Mascord
June 28, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

Agent Jim Banaghan denied last night Canberra centre Joel Monaghan had been lined up to replace departing Justin Hodges at Sydney Roosters next season.

The Roosters, 56-0 winners over Wests Tigers on Friday night, are preparing to release Hodges on compassionate grounds to return to the Broncos.

The development has led to speculation that off-contract Monaghan, also managed by Banaghan, will be heading to Bondi Junction next year.

"I wouldn't think so," Banaghan said. "Joel is like every other player off contract at the end of June 30 - he is waiting until then and finding out his value on the open market."

He added that Hodges would be at the Broncos next season "if certain conditions were met".

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said: "I can tell you we had a private discussion yesterday about Justin and his family and the difficult situation he has found himself in for the last 2 years. We were given permission to speak to him. I haven't got any more to say on it."

That's my conspiray theory of the week, Branaghan has lined up Mona's to slot into Easts, as a deal to help Hodges get release.

t-ba

Post Whore
Frikken Rooters. I really would rather he stays with your mob than go over to the Rooters.

I'd also Prefer Monas over Tahu #-o .

greeneyed

First Grade
I wrote this to the NRL on their website, but had to cull it dramatically as they only accept messages of 1000 characters........

Attn: NRL CEO

Dear Mr Gallop

The salary cap as it is presently configured is killing the game. It is killing loyalty in the game.

I will give you an example dear to my heart. No doubt other clubs have similar stories. The Raiders presently have two players that it looks unlikely we will be unable to keep: Ruben Wiki and Joel Monaghan.

Wiki is the heart and soul of our club. However, it appears likely that he will be offered twice what the Raiders are able to offer him in the English Superleague.

Monaghan is a local Canberra junior. Born and bred in Canberra and played for Tuggeranong. The Raiders brought him into the NRL team. He is 22 and it now appears we will almost certainly lose him to the Roosters, despite so called anti tampering deadlines.

There is inadequate recognition given to clubs who develop juniors under the salary cap. Not like the Roosters "development" programs, which involve them buying players like Monaghan and claiming them for their own.

There is also inadequate recognition given to long serving players under the salary cap. There are already some concessions, but it clearly won't be enough for us to keep both of our longest serving champions, Ruben Wiki and Jason Croker.

What is the NRL trying to do?

The salary cap arrangements work in favour of clubs like the Roosters and Brisbane which can maximise "third party sponsors", but cheat clubs like the Raiders of their long serving players and local juniors.

The NRL has now facilitated Andrew Johns remaining with Newcastle, and as a league supporter, I support that decision.

But other clubs are being disadvantaged by the current salary cap. It is unfair. It is unjust. And it will lead to the demise of some clubs if you don't act.

Please put some arrangements in place that will generate a bit more club loyalty. More discounts for juniors and long serving players under the cap are essential. The fans are loyal to their teams. But the NRL is undermining that loyalty. Without loyalty, the NRL will continue to fade in the face of the AFL and ARU.

Please save my sport.

greeneyed

First Grade
For God's sake we are in a war in Canberra with rugby union and the NRL doesn't seem to give a toss............... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

greeneyed

First Grade
I also sent this:

Attention: NRL CEO

PS to the message I just addressed to you:

In Canberra, we are at war with the ARU. We are trying to compete effectively with the Brumbies. Yet your salary cap arrangements basically mean we have no hope of competing. We can't put on the field a team that is capable of matching the union for crowd appeal. And now you are about to let the Roosters and the English Superleague walk in and take two of our best players.

You helped Newcastle. We get no help from the NRL apart from avoiding a scheduling clash with the Brumbies. No advertising in the local market. Nothing.

What about Canberra, Mr Gallop? If you don't act soon you won't have a team in Canberra......

Latest posts