What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My point was meant to be of how easy it was to access.

I doubt that anyone thought that it wasn't easy to access.

It's like the wowser sitting in front of the box watching shows they know will offend them, just so they can write a stern letter to the stations.

Here's a rule of thumb that works for me; If I'm 99% sure it's going to offend me, I don't look.

As for Monaghan, he'll be crucified and to be honest, I think he's about to pay the ultimate price for the sins of others over the years, which doesn't seem right.

We are starting to put our players on much higher pedestals than other codes or other walks of life. We seem to be forgetting that they are human beings and all human beings tend to f**k up once in a while...

simostorm

Bench
I doubt that anyone thought that it wasn't easy to access.

It's like the wowser sitting in front of the box watching shows they know will offend them, just so they can write a stern letter to the stations.

Here's a rule of thumb that works for me; If I'm 99% sure it's going to offend me, I don't look.

As for Monaghan, he'll be crucified and to be honest, I think he's about to pay the ultimate price for the sins of others over the years, which doesn't seem right.

We are starting to put our players on much higher pedestals than other codes or other walks of life. We seem to be forgetting that they are human beings and all human beings tend to f**k up once in a while...

I dont think you have to see it to be offended.. just hearing about it and knowing what happened was enough.. and sometimes thats often worse than seeing it.. usually when you see it.. its not as bad as what it was made out.. but in this instance.. it was worse.. it was shocking

plenty of kids will be sitting around with there mates googling it though..

Last edited:
If they're googling that, they also know how to google other "offensive" stuff.

The internet is desensitising generations of people. Things that would have shocked the socks of anyone 20 years ago barely raises an eyebrow these days. Whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable.

We're overreacting. There, I said it.

He deserves punishment for bringing the game into disrepute, I can't argue with that, but ending the bloke's career shouldn't be on the cards.

Moffo

Referee
Why compare it to anything? saying it's not as bad as raping ur granny or killing a dozen schoolkids at high speed while smashed outta ur brain is just stupid.

The full pic is on facebook and it's just plain damn revolting! not a prank, not funny and sic as it gets.

Exactly right. Some people just don't get it...I guess you can't help the fact that some people are just mental midgets

Moffo

Referee
And Willow, to suggest that it's a matter between him and the club only is ridiculous. Has the sun really got to you that much up there? Do you realize the impact that things like this have on the wider public? It is a concern for everyone that wants the game to pick it's image up, how don't you get that? You might have some rose colored glasses on but the bottom line is that RL has the worst image of any sport I. Australia at the moment by the length of the flemigton straight. We need to addresss this once and for all, how the f**k don't you get that?

And Willow, to suggest that it's a matter between him and the club only is ridiculous. Has the sun really got to you that much up there? Do you realize the impact that things like this have on the wider public? It is a concern for everyone that wants the game to pick it's image up, how don't you get that? You might have some rose colored glasses on but the bottom line is that RL has the worst image of any sport I. Australia at the moment by the length of the flemigton straight. We need to addresss this once and for all, how the f**k don't you get that?

Rl has the worst image of any sport in Oz ??...

Your cricket team is not much better and their image is based on form..

Moffo

Referee
Rl has the worst image of any sport in Oz ??...

Your cricket team is not much better and their image is based on form..

the one possible exception i'd throw at you is boxing....but given its current status its hard to even call it a sport

RL has a list of scandals as long as your arm. the only thing that RL players haven't managed to do (well the current crop anyway) is kill someone or f**k a corpse

if i'm sitting there as mr joe corporate and thinking about where to invest my sponsorship money....what thoughts do you think would be running through my head at the moment?

How do you not get that it's being addressed?

What would you like Gallop to do Moffo, set up the stocks in front of Phillip St HQ and any player who f**ks up gets a week in them?

We've been far harsher with our punishments than any other code.

The problem is that the players aren't robots. They're going to f**k up and nothing anyone does to prevent that will prevent that.

the one possible exception i'd throw at you is boxing....but given its current status its hard to even call it a sport

RL has a list of scandals as long as your arm. the only thing that RL players haven't managed to do (well the current crop anyway) is kill someone or f**k a corpse

if i'm sitting there as mr joe corporate and thinking about where to invest my sponsorship money....what thoughts do you think would be running through my head at the moment?

With a new TV deal around the corner and the game winning the ratings by the length of the Flemington straight in NSW and QLD thus possibly giving it a market share higher then the AFL on FTA TV and Subscription TV now maybe a good time to sponsor a club or the game as it may not cost me as much as it will in a couple of years especially if they expand into two new areas.

Do you think that sponsors won't realise that by 2011 March this will all be forgotten. Yes is was a sick act, yes it wa wrong and yes Monaghan will get punished for it and rightly so but it nowhere near as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Moffo

Referee
With a new TV deal around the corner and the game winning the ratings by the length of the Flemington straight in NSW and QLD thus possibly giving it a market share higher then the AFL on FTA TV and Subscription TV now maybe a good time to sponsor a club or the game as it may not cost me as much as it will in a couple of years especially if they expand into two new areas.

Do you think that sponsors won't realise that by 2011 March this will all be forgotten. Yes is was a sick act, yes it wa wrong and yes Monaghan will get punished for it and rightly so but it nowhere near as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

yeh but SR dont you realise that it will just be replaced by some other scandal? the fact is that there are still a substantial number of people around the country that look at RL and think, that code is full neanderthals and that is it. they don't put their kids in to RL teams, they don't watch games, they don't buy merchandise etc etc

RL is winning IN SPITE of all this bullsh*t. imagine the potential it has were it once and for all get serious about weeding out this behaviour at a young age and having a serious crack at educating these guys (i know there are courses already but from what i'm told they are complete rubbish).

The length of incidents over the last few years is beyond a joke...I could've made a list of 100 events in that other thread. We have a serious behavioural problem

And before the usual retort comes up, I don't give a flying f**k about the other codes. I want our code fixed. So please, don't bother with the stupid comparisons

yeh but SR dont you realise that it will just be replaced by some other scandal? the fact is that there are still a substantial number of people around the country that look at RL and think, that code is full neanderthals and that is it. they don't put their kids in to RL teams, they don't watch games, they don't buy merchandise etc etc

RL is winning IN SPITE of all this bullsh*t. imagine the potential it has were it once and for all get serious about weeding out this behaviour at a young age and having a serious crack at educating these guys (i know there are courses already but from what i'm told they are complete rubbish).

The length of incidents over the last few years is beyond a joke...I could've made a list of 100 events in that other thread. We have a serious behavioural problem

And before the usual retort comes up, I don't give a flying f**k about the other codes. I want our code fixed. So please, don't bother with the stupid comparisons

Yes very true. It has a sh*t load more potential and it starts at the juniors. kids are not being allowed to play by there parents in certain areas due to the large amount of larger polynesian kids playing as well. I'd look at something there.

But onto the scandals it is up to the clubs to make a stand against there players it took 12 months a wooden spoon and scandal after scandal for my club last year to realise they were losing supporters, sponsors etc etc. The turnaround in 2010 off the field was possibly bigger then the one on it.

Clubs need to just start sacking players and the NRL needs to start enforcing long bans on the sidelines before the players get it.

The issue I have with the Monaghan one is that none of his team mates thought it should be stopped and in fact thought it should be exposed on the net.

Clubs need to put greater emphasis on educating them on how to behave when on the drink in a large group.

I coach mens All Age football teams and they drink together, party together and never have we had to deal with one of them being a dickhead on the drink. If one heads off the rails he is pulled back into line by his mates. Not encouraged to be a bigger dickhead and that is where the NRL clubs need to look at improvement.

Latest posts