What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chefman21

Juniors
That would work if they were all like that. But they're not. We have 16 teams with 25 guys each, I reckon 20+ on each team are great blokes. They work with charities without ringing the paper to take a photo of them while they do it, they spend Friday nights with their wives/girlfriends. A good night out for them is a quiet beer with close mates and a few hours spent playing Wii. This is the vast majority of players who go through their entire career without ever making a headline for the wrong reason.

A minority of them are dickheads, and they'll always be dickheads, they'd be dickheads if their livelihoods were endangered, they'd be dickheads if they worked at Maccas. We just find out about their dickheadedness because they work in a high profile job.

The only thing you can do about it is no 2nd or 3rd chance for people like Monaghan, sack em, let them be dickheads in their own life where it doesn't affect an entire code and millions of fans.

It saddens me that these incidents (which do happen too often) give all the innocent players a bad name. I happen to know a guy that plays first grade footy. He's a perfectly nice, polite, quiet bloke and he tells me most of his teammates are just like him.

It just feels like every 2nd player is troublemaker because its only the bad stuff that makes the headlines. Each night on the evening news we're not read a list of all the players who haven't done anything wrong that day.

I know... It's just so frustrating. It deeply saddens me/makes my angry/disappoints me that it keeps happening and it keeps getting worse. Sooner or later something is going to give, and it's not going to be the sponsors and fans spending more money. And it's not going to be new stakeholders taking an interest in the code. This is where players need to stand up and take responsibility for themselves and the actions of others. This is where clubs need to start listening to the PR people who tell them that stuff like this is not acceptable and to listen to all the society/media/culture experts whose studies have shown that this stuff is not acceptable. Things like what Monaghan did, Brunton did and others need to be stopped by their teammates, the clubs and - ultimately - themselves.

Didgi

:lol: I wonder if said absent teammate found out from Joel/friends or from the morning newspaper. Aww sh*t, what have they done this time.. googles image.. falls off chair.

jaynie

Juniors
This. From what I've heard Monaghan is with several teammates in the home of another absent teammate. And the group in their drunken delusions thought it would be hilarious if they put peanut butter on Monaghan's junk and have the absent teammate's dog suck him off. That's why they took the photos, so they could show this other teammate, and everybody could laugh about it together.

Thanks Didgi and BunniesMan for clearing that up. The Australian has that the incident was at Josh Millers place (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...act-of-stupidity/story-e6frg7mf-1225948023453). Bet he never thought it would be unsafe to leave his dog there with his team mate.

BunniesMan

Immortal
:lol: I wonder if said absent teammate found out from Joel/friends or from the morning newspaper. Aww sh*t, what have they done this time.. googles image.. falls off chair.

And imagine if he didn't find out about this until now, and he's the kind of dogowner who kisses his dog...

Lambretta

First Grade
i just seen the uncensored pic.. its not one bit funny.. its quite disgusting..

i just googled it..

Monaghan looks so f**king smashed it's not funny.

The whole thing looks utterly sickening.

There isn't one amusing thing about the whole event

Why did he do it? Drink. No excuse, but at the levels he looks to have drunk by his face... why do people get THAT smashed?

Why didn't his mates stop him? There is someone standing next to him ffs.
Why didnt they f**king punch him out?

There are so many things wrong with this whole affair. Urghh.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Monaghan looks so f**king smashed it's not funny.

The whole thing looks utterly sickening.

There isn't one amusing thing about the whole event

Why did he do it? Drink. No excuse, but at the levels he looks to have drunk by his face... why do people get THAT smashed?

Why didn't his mates stop him? There is someone standing next to him ffs.
Why didnt they f**king punch him out?

There are so many things wrong with this whole affair. Urghh.

You're completely right about drink not being an excuse. I'm 20 years old, I've been wasted plenty of times in my time, so have all my mates. So have most young people. But 99.99999999999% of people, even at their drunkest, wouldn't do something like this. And even if they wanted to, they'd have mates around to snap em out of it.

Didgi

I'm in no way defending the act itself - I'm defending, to a very small extent the (minimal) thought processes occuring.

To Monaghan and friends, it was a prank on a teammate. A harmless whoopie cushion that would perhaps end in one to the nose, but nothing worse. They didn't expect one of them to betray Monaghan and send it on.

I know I'm going to be jumped on, so jump all you like. I still think it's disgusting - but he didn't penetrate the dog or cause the dog to penetrate him.

Incidentally, would this really stand up in court as beastiality? No penetration on either side, and it wasn't that it was pleasuring Monaghan. Morally wrong and extremely poor taste, and of a bestial nature, but beastiality in the literal form?

Didgi

anyone seen the new tuesday madness youtube video??

search ....: joel monaghan aint got sh*t ......in youtube and scroll down to the bloke getting done by the dogg.. hillarious....

what u guys think?

Three posts on this site.

Three posts advertising that video.

Sure you're not the bloke in that video?

chefman21

Juniors
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...cture-scandal-goes-global-20101105-17hcy.html

Monaghan dog picture scandal goes global
Glenn Cullen
November 5, 2010 - 7:19PM
AAP

"The Joel Monaghan scandal is going global with newspaper columnists, bloggers and the general public laying into the Canberra rugby league star - and Australians - over the dog sex simulation scandal.

Twenty years ago the incident may have remained largely for local audiences, but the unseemly incident has attracted worldwide attention.

Understandably our closest neighbours have taken the ball and run with it - the NZ Herald, stuff.co.nz and scoop.co.nz all featuring stories.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Radio Live NZ ran the `ten best Joel Monaghan dog tweets' on its website.

But the story is spreading much further than across the Tasman.

The UK Guardian's Andy Wilson cut straight to the chase saying Monaghan "has joined the Australian game's extensive hall of shame after an incident that could bring a premature and humiliating end to the former Test back's career."

The Scottish Daily Record was amongst a number of UK news sites to run with the story, which seems to be garnering the most unwanted international coverage for rugby league since the infamous John Hopoate bottom-poking scandal.

While time differences mean the worst may be yet to come in print in the United States, bloggers have had a field day with Las Vegas-based sportsmonitor.com and deadspin dedicating online space to Monaghan.

Several American bloggers have raised the issue of NFL star Michael Vick - whose indiscretions with dogs related to an illegal fighting racket with the animals.

But perhaps the most savage international response came after an article posted about the incident on the newstime.co.za website, among a string of South African media outlets that had the story.

While the unnamed author light-heartedly concluded: "The one upside to all of this for rugby league fans - and indeed all of Australia - is that this should put an end to sheepshagger jokes for a while." - a respondent wasn't nearly as jovial.

"When is Australia going to get control of its neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing, marauding teams of obscene footballers," the respondent wrote.

"Stop the slap on the wrist punishments! The world is laughing at the uncouth, unrefined, and uneducated country that is Australia. Instead of eradicating the inherent violence in your DNA, you stoke it by not taking swift and severe action against your drunken, derelict citizens.
""

Phwoarrr.... Harsh... But fair...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/artic...-with-dog-leaves-rugby-star-s-career-in-ruins
It's gone to Canada...

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/weird/110410-Sex-with-Dog-Prank-Gets-Rugby-Player-in-Trouble
Hmmm... The top news story is this one:
Today's Popular Stories
1. Sex with Dog Prank Gets Rugby Player in Trouble 32.28%
2. Moms Caught Shoplifting with Kids in Tow 16.70%
3. Dad: Mom Cheered Son, 5, as He Did Shots 11.76%
4. Us Magazine: 'Bachelorette' Star Julien Hug Found Dead Near Calif. Highway 8.70%
5. Raccoons Bite Sleeping 9-Month-Old Baby 6.88%
6. Teens Arrested in 'Halloween Horror' Crime 6.47%
7. Attorney: Man Wasn't a Threat to Officers 5.41%
8. Report: 'Storm Chasers' Star's Death Was Suicide 4.17%
9. Mom Upset Over Son's Assignment to Recite Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish 4.06%
10. Study: Ozzy Osbourne a Genetic Mutant 3.59%

http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idAFJOE6A401U20101105?feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews
Reuters Africa.

http://www.euronews.net/sport/569973-aussie-league-player-faces-sack-over-dog-photo/
Europe

http://www.minutebuzz.com/Un-joueur...ations-sexuelles-avec-un-chien_a7288.html?com
France

http://www.rp-online.de/sport/mehr/andere/Rugby-Star-vergreift-sich-an-Hund_aid_926868.html
Germany

http://www.hbvl.be/nieuws/in-de-ran...t-carriere-door-schokkende-foto-met-hond.aspx
Belgium

http://g1.globo.com/planeta-bizarro...demitido-apos-simular-ato-sexual-com-cao.html
Brazil

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_599671.html
Singapore

Well.... He is our first worldwide star...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"When is Australia going to get control of its neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing, marauding teams of obscene footballers," the respondent wrote.
I take exception to that. I have never once thrown a stove at anyone.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Stop the slap on the wrist punishments! The world is laughing at the uncouth, unrefined, and uneducated country that is Australia. Instead of eradicating the inherent violence in your DNA, you stoke it by not taking swift and severe action against your drunken, derelict citizens."

Phwoarrr.... Harsh... But fair...
lol. Assuming you're joking with the last two words there cheffy.

chefman21

Juniors
lol. Assuming you're joking with the last two words there cheffy.

To a certain extent. This is the bit I agree with:

"Stop the slap on the wrist punishments!"

The rest of it is a load of crap.

mrpwnd

Bench
To a certain extent. This is the bit I agree with:

"Stop the slap on the wrist punishments!"

The rest of it is a load of crap.
Aussies are a bunch of stove throwing maniacs. Right.

Latest posts