What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

m0nty

Juniors
I feel like rugby league players are in a competition to see how far they can get LU posters to go in supporting them. Turns out blokes like Penrose Warrior and StormIsBrewing can even defend bestiality. What next, the Cronulla front row videoed at a Stormfront meeting? How low can you go?

typicalfan

Coach
It's a disgusting act, but I just can't see how people perceive it as being THAT bad. It's not illegal, and there was no victim (the dog probably doesn't know the difference between that and a bone...), whats so bad about it?

Obviously he'll have serious emotional problems, but the act itself isn't anything more than disgusting. I'd like him to get sacked because he's been useless on the field in all of 2010, and he probably will, however I honestly don't see what's so bad about it.
It is illegal everywhere in Australia bar the ACT, it is illegal as far as the NRL is concerned and where it is located so i reckon they would consider it a big deal. The Raiders themselves have ties outside of the ACT where the act is illegal so it would be in their best interests to cut him off.

Do you know why statutory rape exists? Do you think if a young child doesn't know the difference they aren't a victim?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I feel like rugby league players are in a competition to see how far they can get LU posters to go in supporting them. Turns out blokes like Penrose Warrior and StormIsBrewing can even defend bestiality. What next, the Cronulla front row videoed at a Stormfront meeting? How low can you go?
Agree.There is nothing that can defend this What do I tell my 8 yr old raider supporting nephew about what this f**cknut has done? Take a stand canberra and sack him.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
It's a disgusting act, but I just can't see how people perceive it as being THAT bad. It's not illegal, and there was no victim (the dog probably doesn't know the difference between that and a bone...), whats so bad about it?

The dog is lucky that Joel didnt give it a bone.

Well he did give him a boner... maybe he misheard.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
The guy that originally leaked the photo (on Twitter) says that Raiders management knew about it. It could get interesting.

Dingus

Juniors
Can't see how this is much worse then nate myles or the cronulla incident. No human victims, and in looking at the photo, there is nothing sexual about it, just a really f**ked up joke.

Biggest punishment will be the player and fan taunts.

scottyeel

Bench
Terrible, vile act and a stupid drunken prank! No doubt he regrets it and wishes he could take it back!

I really really hope for his sake that he has some family and friends around him to support and look out for him at the moment :(

fourplay

Juniors
Can't see how this is much worse then nate myles or the cronulla incident. No human victims, and in looking at the photo, there is nothing sexual about it, just a really f**ked up joke.

Biggest punishment will be the player and fan taunts.

Yeah lol. Society just implodes on itself when confronted with a sexual taboo even if no one is harmed.

fourplay

Juniors
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...-act-with-dog-20101104-17f99.html?autostart=1

NRL star confirms sex act with dog

Adrian Proszenko and Brad Walter

November 4, 2010 - 6:14PM
NRL star shamed for dog sex photo

A photograph has emerged of Canberra Raiders star, Joel Monaghan, appearing to engage in a sex act with a dog.

Canberra Raiders star Joel Monaghan has confirmed that he is the player in question in a photograph that has been published on the internet featuring a sex act with a dog.
The photograph of Monaghan, a NSW and Australian representative, was taken during Canberra's Mad Monday festivities.
Monaghan issued a statement through his manager Jim Banaghan today expressing both remorse and disgust at an alcohol fuelled prank that led to images being circulated across social networks.

“Joel can’t blame anyone but himself for an act of stupidity that will haunt him for the rest of his life,” the statement said.

“Joel wants to make it clear that he was the one playing a prank on an absent team mate by simulating the act.

“There are no words of explanation that can be offered because none can be appropriate.

“Joel has to now face his family as well as fans and supporters with that shame and has already undergone counselling to help him cope with the consequences of what has happened.

“It was a moment of abject stupidity brought about by too much drink and a complete lack of any thought process.

“The fact that someone has sought to compound the situation further by the use of social media only adds to the trauma but Joel accepts that it is his actions alone that are at fault.

“He apologises unreservedly for the outrage that people feel at the moment and blames nobody but himself.

“He will meet the club over the issue and accepts that there must be ramifications but the fact is he is not in a fit emotional state to have those discussions at the moment.

“Joel is a genuinely good person who is simply shattered by a moment of sheer madness.”

Raiders CEO, Don Furner said he had not seen the picture but had been informed of its content and was investigating further.
"If he did it, it is something he will live with for the rest of his life," Furner told reporters in Canberra.
"We don't know whether it's authentic but I am as appalled as everyone else.
"If he did do it, I don't know why he would do it."

Latest posts