What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simostorm

Bench
:lol:

Seriously...i'm over the outrage. It's just funny now. Imo if he gets the sack it's pretty ridiculous. Are we really trying to make the statement that taking a disgusting photo is WORSE than the following

-alleged sexual assault
-assault
-drink driving
-sh*tting in a hotel corridor
-being Tony Archer
-cheating the salary cap

sexual act with a dog.. id say beats all those hands down.

2010Dragons

Bench

Seriously...i'm over the outrage. It's just funny now. Imo if he gets the sack it's pretty ridiculous. Are we really trying to make the statement that taking a disgusting photo is WORSE than the following

-alleged sexual assault
-assault
-drink driving
-being Tony Archer
-cheating the salary cap

Worse than supporting the Chooks?
Didn't Joel play for the Roosters?

eagles4eva

First Grade

-alleged sexual assault
-assault
-drink driving
-being Tony Archer
-cheating the salary cap

In such a politically correct society, what was meant as a sick joke with the lads has made worldwide media coverage.

Yes I think based on social pressure and political correctness i think he will be sacked - my 2cents worth anyway...

Dingus

Juniors
Do people realise there is a difference between posing for a rank photo for laughs, then having sex for pleasure with a dog?

Parra

Referee
He shouldn't be sacked over this.

Ridiculed - well he'd better get used to that.

dontbro

Juniors
I think the issue is:

How much alcohol does one need to consume to think putting a penis in a dog's mouth is funny.

I mean, I was at my friend's birthday BBQ two weeks back and I was slamming them down and I could see a table had been set up where some of my mates were playing beer pong. I had visions of myself doing a front flip on it and crashing the whole table because in my head it was hilarious. But I didn't do it, and the next day, while sober, I realised how stupid the idea was.

I don't know if football players have these sort of rationalisation skills, or they may be very under developed. I read in an article once, that males don't develop these rationalisation skills in their brain until 25, but for footy players it may be a lot older than that.

Parra Guru

Coach
The only thing that would make this predicament funnier was if Monaghan was a rugby convert so Brendan Cannon could publish a piece of sh*t rant about how rugby were right to be rid of him...

gUt

Coach
He should be severely disciplined/sacked not because taking a prank shot like this is the worst thing in the world, but because of the bad press it brings to the sport/his club. This same reasoning also condemns the dickhead who made the photo public.

adamkungl

Immortal
sexual act with a dog.. id say beats all those hands down.

You're a f**king idiot. We're talking crimes that endanger lives, vs a gross out gag. But we knew you're an idiot already, so I don't know why I'm bothering to respond.

I think the issue is:

How much alcohol does one need to consume to think putting a penis in a dog's mouth is funny.

Hmm...probably slightly more than the amount needed to think burning your hand with cigarettes to see who can do it the longest is a funny idea. Me and a couple of mates did this once...permanent scarring. I don't even smoke. Ever.

Moral of the story - alcohol can result in some really, really dumb things seeming like a good idea at the time...

adamkungl

Immortal
He should be severely disciplined/sacked not because taking a prank shot like this is the worst thing in the world, but because of the bad press it brings to the sport/his club. This same reasoning also condemns the dickhead who made the photo public.

I would say even an ALLEGED sexual assault brings the club/game into disrepute more than this - and yet, sackings are rare...

Evenflow

Bench
The point is it's irrelevant. Once mobile phones are involved it doesn't really matter whether the NRL or the Raiders or any organisation knows. They can't stop it once it gets on the internet.

Yeah, you're missing my point entirely champ. I never said nor implied whether it mattered or not if the NRL/Raiders knew about the incident before it was broken yesterday. What i was saying is that Tim naively tried to tell us that nobody in either of the organisations knew of the incident beforehand yet at the same time telling us it was public knowledge well beforehand.

Does it matter if they knew or not? Not really. Would it be stupid to think that the biggest trash bag tabloid paper in the country with the journalistic integrity of a dog turd knew about it yet didn't ask either the NRL/Raiders if they knew anything about it? Absolutely it would be. Next Tim is going to try have us believe that Rothfield and Wilson knew about it yet kept it from the league and club to protect them and and not hurt their feelings :crazy:

joseph1

Juniors
In the event of Monaghan having a sh*t game after coming back from injury: "Monaghan Blows Premature Come-Back"

bulldog

Bench
I would say even an ALLEGED sexual assault brings the club/game into disrepute more than this - and yet, sackings are rare...

While I agree with you, this is international news and holds the game up to ridicule like never before, for that reason I think he will be sacked, and tbh it's probably better for all concerned that he walks away from the game - at least for a while.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
In such a politically correct society, what was meant as a sick joke with the lads has made worldwide media coverage.

Yes I think based on social pressure and political correctness i think he will be sacked - my 2cents worth anyway...

So the damage he has done to the game he plays and the club he plays for is all good then ?

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Nope, while you are correct in the strictest terms of victim impact, the fact is bestiality is far more disreputable than sexual assault. And you can argue that it was just a drunken prank, and you would be right on that count too, but its the public perception and response to the photo that is what is damaging, not the feelings of the dog.

And unfortunately, the public perception and response to the photo of a champion league player smiling broadly while he jams his c**k into a dogs mouth is far more damaging to the reputation of the club and code than any sexual assault case could be

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Sponsors' threatened $1 million walkout forces Canberra board to sack disgraced Raider Joel Monaghan

DISGRACED Canberra centre Joel Monaghan will be sacked by the club on Monday when the eight-member Raiders board convenes in the national capital.The Daily Telegraph has learned at least four of the Raiders' major sponsors have written letters to the club threatening to withdraw $1 million worth of revenue over the lewd photograph of Monaghan.

The development comes as NRL chief executive David Gallop continues to monitor the situation, with the game's governing body extremely close to making the call to de-register Monaghan from playing rugby league in Australia.

Gallop is understood to have wanted to de-register Monaghan last night after the photograph went viral on email and began flooding inboxes around the country.

But the NRL will wait for the outcome of the Raiders board meeting on Monday where Monaghan's contract will be torn up.

The Raiders board is an ultra-conservative collection of ex-government officials and diplomats who have previously made the hard-line call to sack Todd Carney after repeated alcohol-related indiscretions.

A number of other Raiders sponsors have also verbally threatened to resign from any association with the club as the fallout from rugby league's latest black-eye reverberates.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...er-joel-monaghan/story-e6frexnr-1225948345199

Latest posts