What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson wants back at Canberra.

saint.nick

Coach
I guess that what works well for us is canberra are one of the more desirable teams to have hoodoo on you. I couldn't live with a close sydney rival having that, whereas no one really gives a shit about the raiders

FlameThrower

Bench
Thompson, came with high price tag and therefore high expectations. I don't believe he has been anything more than average. If we wants to go, release him June 30th and put money into someone else, we are in the middle of biggest rebuilding of squad in years and if he can't be part of that then, adios! I'll shout the taxi fare, and lunch at Goulburn...

GT0007

Juniors
I, for one hope he doesn't leave. I think we are yet to see his best game. I think he played well against Melbourne and when he got injured or concussed, to me the game changed then. But in saying that family comes first.

Just hope he knows what he getting himself into going back to Canberra if its true cause the last 2 weeks the raider have been shocking. Watching the game now against the warriors and it's a training run for the warriors. Over 100 points leaked in over 2 weeks. Stuart is a myth.

Agree, I hope he doesnt go. I really only think Stuart can coach if he has a top team, for those who are unhappy with our form how would you like to be Canberra!

dragonreddy

Juniors
Seems a bit convenient that this story surfaces the day after the Marshall signing is he wanting to head home or is he being asked to, from his (Thompson's) side of things it certainly better for him to say he is homesick than to be moved on by the club, if the reports are true about him not matching the club's expectations.

Father Ted

First Grade
Well the rumor about Thompson wanting out would seem to ring true if that be the case. With Thompson gone, that could potentially free up around the reported 400k we pay for Thomo.

If I understand correctly? if we release him and he goes back to Canberra for 200k we have to supply the other 150k for the term of what would have been his contract with us out of our salary cap.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If I understand correctly? if we release him and he goes back to Canberra for 200k we have to supply the other 150k for the term of what would have been his contract with us out of our salary cap.

That would not be correct. If the player wants to leave they would be the one breaking the contract and therefore would be entitled to nothing. There would be no salary cap implications from this either as the club would be acting on the players wishes.

BennyV

Referee
yep, we'd be third in line behind Storm & Roosters

Based on what? Wait stands, we've made the highest offer, with Storm to revise theirs in the next week.

Roosters official offer is lowest, but we all know that what is registered is different to what gets paid to the player with them...

ellskimore

Juniors
Thompson has turned out to be a dud signing. There is no point sugar-coating it. People point to one game where he defended well against Melbourne. That's some Prior like inspiration right there. Why don't we also acknowledge that he was one of the guys that just stood still and watched Jennings run past him. He needs to do more than just defend well for the contract he was secured on. And pointing to one game where he was good in defence is not a solid argument. I thought he was a rampaging player at the Raiders but he looks disinterested and has not threatened as a ball runner at all. His heart isn't in it and he is well down on his form of previous years. So let's grant him his wish, move him on and get some players we need.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hes done very little since we signed him on good coin. The fact he always carves us up may have swayed our geniused recruitment team.

TruSaint

Referee
That would not be correct. If the player wants to leave they would be the one breaking the contract and therefore would be entitled to nothing. There would be no salary cap implications from this either as the club would be acting on the players wishes.

Think your wrong Brissy, but Im not 100%.

Depends on the term of the release.
There have been 2-3 occasions recently on players moving due to "family / personal "
reasons.

Pretty sure, the clubs came to some financial agreement to allow the move to happen.

Just on this.
Ricky Stewart you think would be more concerned with leaking 108 points in 2 games, as opposed to quoting "the grass is not always greener".

Sorry Ricky, the grass was greener, the guy just misses his family. Nothing at all to do the the buffalo. Idiot.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Unfortunately he's been a very expensive flop & the sooner both parties come to an agreement the better. Makes you wonder whom made the recruitment decision to throw that type of dollars in the 1st place. One moment we are told Pricey has no say in the recruitment process & then we are told Pricey finally has the team he wants. Half Price doesn't even know what half he wants !

BrissyRedV

Bench
Think your wrong Brissy, but Im not 100%.

Depends on the term of the release.
There have been 2-3 occasions recently on players moving due to "family / personal "
reasons.

Pretty sure, the clubs came to some financial agreement to allow the move to happen.

Just on this.
Ricky Stewart you think would be more concerned with leaking 108 points in 2 games, as opposed to quoting "the grass is not always greener".

Sorry Ricky, the grass was greener, the guy just misses his family. Nothing at all to do the the buffalo. Idiot.

Obviously it depends on the terms of release, but if the player is the one wanting to break the contract, ie. for family reasons, then the player, who is breaking the contract, will not be supplying what he is required as part of the contract, ie. his playing skills. The club who is the party willing to honor the contract should not be hindered financially or with the salary cap implications. It is the player in this case that is the one that cops the financial downfall.

Now on the flip side, if a club wishes to terminate a contract or move on a player, they are the ones that cop the financial burden and the salary cap implications.

bhabs

Juniors
Rugby league news on twitter reckons he didn't get along with price and wanted out especially since his family wanted to return home... But they said he will stay now that price is gone as he likes mcgregor but has to convince the family..

Latest posts