What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey a Knight

Colonel Eel said:
He has apparently signed a two-year deal with the Knights on the back of a ten-year deal with Channel Nine. Nine better hope they don't lose the FTA rights. :lol:

ahha thats exactly what i was thinking..

What will he do when the next lot of RL contracts get negotiated and channel 9 miss out.

*melliez*

Juniors
Chicken_Hunter said:
But our young players are hopeless #-o

I would rather 1000 hopeless players that have respect for the club and the supporters than one good player who has no respect for the club or supporters.

I am not even going to bother saying what I think of the bloke, only because the people who are too blind to see how much of a moron he really is would get all whingey about it and complain for the next week about it!

*melliez* said:
Chicken_Hunter said:

I would rather 1000 hopeless players that have respect for the club and the supporters than one good player who has no respect for the club or supporters.

I am not even going to bother saying what I think of the bloke, only because the people who are too blind to see how much of a moron he really is would get all whingey about it and complain for the next week about it!

Well the way the young players have been playing lately, they havnt shown much heart in the jersey.

Everyone knows joey is a wanker off the field.. And i dont care what he does.. Performance on the field and premierships are what counts.

Kaz

junior
*melliez* said:

Just say it

I won't hold it against you. Spill ya guts. :D

*melliez*

Juniors
Chicken_Hunter said:
*melliez* said:
Chicken_Hunter said:

Well the way the young players have been playing lately, they havnt shown much heart in the jersey.

Everyone knows joey is a wanker off the field.. And i dont care what he does.. Performance on the field and premierships are what counts.

I would rather give the boys a chance to shine and win a premiership without him than have him.

I believe we don't need him, you can believe what you want about it.

Knight76

Juniors
I dont care if joey stays or goes. The fact of the matter is every time his contract comes up for renewal he plays everybody off oneanother to get the highest dollar value he can. Instead of just coming out and staying loyal to the club who has seen him through hard times and good, taken him from nothing to allegedly the best player in the world, he waits till the deadline is past and media specualtion is rampant. He runs around creating a storm about who is going to sign him until the knights are forced to pay him his usual motza.

The knights shoulda just said if you want to go go, otherwise sign now. It was the same another time his contract was up he was supposed to be virtually signed to play for Brisbane.

cram

Bench
Tahu is still in the frame even if Johns stayed. He always was. For Ennis its not about money its about the No 9 jersey.

m0j0

Bench
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9941095-23209,00.html
ANDREW Johns will reportedly turn down a lucrative offer to switch codes and announce a new two-year deal with National Rugby League club the Newcastle Knights.

Johns.. tipped to stay with league / file

Sydney radio station 2GB said the star halfback was expected to confirm re-signing with the Knights and also a "long term Channel Nine deal".

Johns had been tempted by a two year deal to play five-eighth for the NSW Waratahs rugby team.

It is believed Johns will announce his playing future on Channel Nine tonight, ending weeks of speculation and boardroom deals.

Johns was reportedly close to signing with the Waratahs on Tuesday until one of six companies – which were set to add a combined $450,000 a season to tip Johns' potential annual earnings from rugby to $1 million – delayed confirming their involvement.

But it appears a last ditch meeting organised by NRL powerbrokers yesterday convinced Johns to stay in league.

NRL boss David Gallop called an emergency meeting yesterday morning with Johns's manager John Fordham and News Limited chief executive John Hartigan. News Ltd is a 50 per cent owner of the NRL.

The meeting unveiled a long-term media deal for Johns who has impressed with his TV commentary work for Channel Nine while he recovers from a season-ending knee injury.

Reports today said rugby union's bid to sign Johns hit a snag after Channel Seven, rugby's free to air rights holder in Australia, refused to become involved in the bid.

Channel Seven's corporate development director Simon Francis said there had been a formal approach to Johns with Fordham meeting with network's chief executive David Leckie last Friday.

But Seven did not make any commitment because of uncertainty over the future of their 10 year television rights agreement to screen Wallabies' matches.

Their existing deal expires in 18 months and Francis said it would be "another 12 months" before the deal was re-negotiated.

The Knights reportedly could almost match what rugby offered financially but Johns had been tempted by the challenge of trying a new sport.

The Waratahs' package reportedly included a $450,000 endorsement package from three sponsors, a $110,000 base contract and $50,000 in Super 12 match payments.

His annual potential earnings would be bumped up to $1 million if he played for Australia (earning $10,000 a Test and up to $100,000 a season) and additional ARU payments for tours and camps ($50,000-$300,000).

The Knights deal reportedly fell just short at $943,000 a season and included a $400,000 endorsement package, a $500,000 season base contract, up to $18,000 for Origin matches and up to $25,000 for Test matches.

antonius

Coach
m0j0 said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9941095-23209,00.html
ANDREW Johns will reportedly turn down a lucrative offer to switch codes and announce a new two-year deal with National Rugby League club the Newcastle Knights.

Johns.. tipped to stay with league / file

Sydney radio station 2GB said the star halfback was expected to confirm re-signing with the Knights and also a "long term Channel Nine deal".

Johns had been tempted by a two year deal to play five-eighth for the NSW Waratahs rugby team.

It is believed Johns will announce his playing future on Channel Nine tonight, ending weeks of speculation and boardroom deals.

Johns was reportedly close to signing with the Waratahs on Tuesday until one of six companies – which were set to add a combined $450,000 a season to tip Johns' potential annual earnings from rugby to $1 million – delayed confirming their involvement.

But it appears a last ditch meeting organised by NRL powerbrokers yesterday convinced Johns to stay in league.

NRL boss David Gallop called an emergency meeting yesterday morning with Johns's manager John Fordham and News Limited chief executive John Hartigan. News Ltd is a 50 per cent owner of the NRL.

The meeting unveiled a long-term media deal for Johns who has impressed with his TV commentary work for Channel Nine while he recovers from a season-ending knee injury.

Reports today said rugby union's bid to sign Johns hit a snag after Channel Seven, rugby's free to air rights holder in Australia, refused to become involved in the bid.

Channel Seven's corporate development director Simon Francis said there had been a formal approach to Johns with Fordham meeting with network's chief executive David Leckie last Friday.

But Seven did not make any commitment because of uncertainty over the future of their 10 year television rights agreement to screen Wallabies' matches.

Their existing deal expires in 18 months and Francis said it would be "another 12 months" before the deal was re-negotiated.

The Knights reportedly could almost match what rugby offered financially but Johns had been tempted by the challenge of trying a new sport.

The Waratahs' package reportedly included a $450,000 endorsement package from three sponsors, a $110,000 base contract and $50,000 in Super 12 match payments.

His annual potential earnings would be bumped up to $1 million if he played for Australia (earning $10,000 a Test and up to $100,000 a season) and additional ARU payments for tours and camps ($50,000-$300,000).

The Knights deal reportedly fell just short at $943,000 a season and included a $400,000 endorsement package, a $500,000 season base contract, up to $18,000 for Origin matches and up to $25,000 for Test matches.

So that being the case all the words from Johns re----"it's not about the money, it's the challenge" is a crock of sh!t. It was always about the money, the bloke is an arse.

Voice of Reason

Juniors
If I hear the crap from him about "staying thru loyalty to Knights" or "I love Newcastle and never wanted to leave" I think I'll throwup. He has stated catagorically that this contract was about "the best he could do for himslef and his family". Straight from the Kings mouth. That be the case, if he stays at the Knights ITS BECAUSE ITS THE BEST FOR HIM. Radio 2ue are pushing the line that he has signed a 10 year deal with channel 9 WHICH INCLUDES playing league for 2 years with the Knights. If this is correct, this contract is really not about playing at all so I hope he doesnt expect us fans to accept crap from him about "loving the game, loving Newy, loving playing with up-and-coming talent at the Knights like Gids or, worst of all, loving the loyal and fanatic Knight supporters. PLEASE!!!!. I, for one, have lost any respect I ever had for Johns. I love the Knights and will continue to support them, with or without "HHH- The Game-The King- Mr Millions Johns"

~bedsy~

First Grade
Well if he said goodbye to league... he would have had to say goodbye to being an immortal as well.

antonius

Coach
Parki said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9941095-23210,00.html

for all you happy campers out there

personally i think for the knights sake and the future of rugby league this is a good decision

Sorry Parki I strongly disagree. Time for us to stand on our own two feet without him, he doesn't give two hoots about the Knights, the club, or the fans, he's demonstrated that all to well.

Spike

First Grade
The first thing I thought of when I read this had nothing to do with Johns. I'm more relieved that Kidley's little get-out clause is no more. 8)

William Hung

Juniors
So 'Kidley' puts a clause in his contract that allows him to leave if Joey does- and you call him loyal and Johns a dog. Once he's back on the paddock you inbreds will be worshiping the ground he walks on again.

Latest posts