What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey Johns and his walk off.

1eyedeel

Juniors
After one of the many Eels tries, he also picked up the ball and booted it and it hit Morro on the head. Morro wasn't impressed.

eelz47

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
Well thanks to the Parramatta club for arranging that. That shows a lot of respect. Also thanks to those fans that payed their respects to him as he slotted the record conversion.

As for Johns, i apologize for his behaviour. We defended him for not shaking hands with all the Dragons players when they thumped us but this is something else.

Grow up or retire Johns. I'd rather have a sh*t player with a little bit of modesty in him then have an absolute champion with a ton of arrogance.

good stuff

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well it was good that we spoilt the party like he did to us in 2001. But we fans and officials showed a lot of respect for him when he kicked that goal. It was also announced on the PA that they'll be a special presentation after the match. And he does this, why kick the goal then?? Why not kick it next week against Melbourne in front of your home crowd. You wont remember this too well, cause you said you flogged by 50. Well it wasnt really fifty Joey, but saying it sounds a lot better.

Utey

Coach
filthy_spammers said:
After one of the many Eels tries, he also picked up the ball and booted it and it hit Morro on the head. Morro wasn't impressed.

I saw the fire in the eyes from where I was sitting :crazy:

James_Hardie

Juniors
Lucas Niel saw the greates moment in his sporting career turn to the worst moment in a heartbeat, but he still shook the referees hand after the game. Why? because it is "professional courtesy". He set the new benchmark for sportsmanship. Johns didn't even get close! Greatest player, worst loser.

eelz47

Coach
votes just in, worlds biggest sook a.johns

all we need to do is put a dummy in a glass case;-), he would accept that with open arms too

Stagger eel

Staff member
part of me understands why he did it while at the same time I'm bitterly dissapointed in him for not hanging back.

It's a pity that when my kids ask me did I see him play, how good was he? in 20years I'll have to say-"Best player ever, but worst sport to ever play the game."

Tyler Durden

Juniors
it's disappointing.

this should have been a major event for the nrl - just like the afl did a few years ago when tony lockett became the all time afl greatest goal scorer

now it's a complete fizzer and anti-climax and a bit of an embarrasment for what should have been one of the highlights of the season

Parra Guru

Coach
It's unfortunately not surprising. Along with his great talent, we also have observed consistently over the years:

Bad sportsmanship

Searching for injury excuses when things are against him

Poor commitment to the fans (including kids) after the games behind the sheds.

It was graceful of the Eels to put it together, win or lose they would have done it and JT would have been down there to present it to him, even if we were on the wrong end of it.

It's a bit cheap to 'apoligise' in the paper aswell, and I bet it was in the Telegraph.

What an absolute wanker, I'm sorry I started the 'Good Luck Joey' thread this time last week.

You're not bigger than the game Johns, come back to our stadium when you have a bit of respect for your team mates, opposition and all supporters.

f**king tool.

Nikki

Coach
I just dont get his problem. Yes as a team we wiped them all over the park. But he has just received one of the greatest personal honours someone could ever acheive. And I doubt there will be another player great enough to break his record. TBH, I dont give a f**k about the bloke. Never have, never will. I do feel for the Newcastle supporters who made the trek down, pre-emting that last nights game would be the one he would do it in. How fans can support an arrogant little boy (he is not a man) like that is beyond me. He is a bad role model to all the kids that support Rugby League and its time that he falls off his pedestool that the head honchos in the NRL have him on...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Red and Blue Knight said:
Well thanks to the Parramatta club for arranging that. That shows a lot of respect. Also thanks to those fans that payed their respects to him as he slotted the record conversion.

As for Johns, i apologize for his behaviour. We defended him for not shaking hands with all the Dragons players when they thumped us but this is something else.

Grow up or retire Johns. I'd rather have a sh*t player with a little bit of modesty in him then have an absolute champion with a ton of arrogance.

I believe that Johns' behaviour off the field does not reflect badly on Newcastle's fans, club or other players at all. I mean, my mate went to the match and although he was ecstatic at the result, he was just as happy to get autographs from both Steve Simpson and Danny Buderus.

So Joey may be a sook, but he doesn't represent Newcastle imo.

Gronk

Staff member
Driving home last night after the game, Warren Ryan on the ABC was talking to a caller about the Newcastle club and about many of the player's attitude. His mail (he used to coach up there) was that many did not put in the hard work and that when asked to do extra training sessions - had more important things to do. Exit Hagan I guess.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gronk said:
Driving home last night after the game, Warren Ryan on the ABC was talking to a caller about the Newcastle club and about many of the player's attitude. His mail (he used to coach up there) was that many did not put in the hard work and that when asked to do extra training sessions - had more important things to do. Exit Hagan I guess.

Uh oh...That doesn't sound too good for us...:?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oh, is that what it means? That Hagan asked players to train and they said no?

See, I thought it meant that he didn't care whether they trained or not.