What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey or Thurston, who is GOAT?

Bazal

Post Whore
Fittler's biggest crime is that he didn't play in the 'Hyperbole Era' where every week someone else is the GoaT.

Ermagherd GOATT!!!!

I swear ESPN spend half their airtime debating who is da GoaT between MJ and LeBron. And that trash clickbait junk has filtered down to the NRL.

Imagine if Freddy's performance in the 2000 Prelim vs Newcastle happened today. A big half time deficit then in the 2nd half plays the best footy I've ever seen - a 30m left to right bullet pass for a try; an intercept try off of a Joey pass; then a 30m right to left bullet pass for a try.

Or what about the 2002 GF where he completely dominated; setting up 4 of 5 tries and kicking the crucial 40/20. And yet he didn't even win the CCM lol Purely because there was no media and NRL driven GoaT obsession.

Contrast that with JT who played like a drunk for 79 minutes of the 2015 GF but won the CCM.

And that's not a knock on JT. Who is one of my favourite players ever and a definite Immortal imo.

It's more to highlight how this 'Hyperbole culture' has elevated the game's contemporary greats above and beyond the greats from the previous generation or two.

Mate we all know who's really to blame. A weird kid from Canberra who looks like a grey alien and managed to start a cult based on bowling a few doorknobs.

Fking Nathan Lyon

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Being in the halves with grant rovelli, having Hegarty and bani to kick to on the wings and being behind the mighty pack of Antonio kaufusi, manukafoa and Carl Webb. How did we not make the 8

Bazal

Post Whore
Being in the halves with grant rovelli, having Hegarty and bani to kick to on the wings and being behind the mighty pack of Antonio kaufusi, manukafoa and Carl Webb. How did we not make the 8

And he had the mighty Anthony Watts at hooker for a while...The Ram told us he was going to be better than Cam Smith, so how on earth did they miss the eight!

King hit

Coach

Kaufisi and Webb were Origin players at least

First Grade
Joey won a premiership with a punctured lung, he also won a premiership with Sean Rudder as his halves partner, no doubt he is the GOAT

Apey

Staff member
Can't link it but there was was a stat comparison done back in 2015, but it's not very fair considering a bunch of stats weren't recorded properly during Joey's time. Joey won in every category and it's a shame it doesn't include all of Joey's games (the stats ranged from 80 - 175 of his games). I don't think you can even comfortably argue that Thurston is a better attacking player tbh, not even considering defence.

King hit

Coach
You can have a few days to catch up on youtube videos before giving us final judgement.

I remember Ikin playing for gods sake. Yes I’m younger than most of you guys (I’m in my mid 20’s btw) but I have a good memory of the early 2000’s and I have vast Rugby League knowledge as I love studying the history and love watching games from our games history. I’m a collector of Rugby League games on DVD (own over 100 games, have every clubs essential pack, every origin game till 2012, documentaries on the games history and every grand final from 1980 onwards (besides a few). I’ve got a library of Rugby League books and biographies of players (around 20 at an estimate).

I have more than enough knowledge of the game to make comment.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I remember Ikin playing for gods sake. Yes I’m younger than most of you guys (I’m in my mid 20’s btw) but I have a good memory of the early 2000’s and I have vast Rugby League knowledge as I love studying the history and love watching games from our games history. I’m a collector of Rugby League games on DVD (own over 100 games, have every clubs essential pack, every origin game till 2012, documentaries on the games history and every grand final from 1980 onwards (besides a few). I’ve got a library of Rugby League books and biographies of players (around 20 at an estimate).

I have more than enough knowledge of the game to make comment.

Few tickets on yourself there mate. Ignorant, arrogant and boyish - an unpleasant combination.

Students of history would apply more objectivity to their assessments. You can't help yourself from tired cliches. Like a scruffy teenager who is reading his oral straight from the palm cards.

taipan

Referee
I'm still awaiting the name of the great Adrian Vowles to make the GOAT list.
Anyone who can be parodied by the great Roy Slaven and HG deserves that title.

beave

Coach
I'm still awaiting the name of the great Adrian Vowles to make the GOAT list.
Anyone who can be parodied by the great Roy Slaven and HG deserves that title.

Sent off in our inaugral game against Canterbury as well.

So was Adam Mogg and Ben Ikin.

Doesn’t make them any good.

Adam Mogg was an Origin player and a very good player. He starred for the Catalans Dragons.

But the GOAT is Andrew Johns, who is the greatest half back the world has ever seen. He invented the banana kick for starters. He was a great tackler. He was a great goal kicker and field kicker. He had a tremendous vision. We will never see his like again..

Danish

Referee

Freddy made the GF with finch at half, and a rotating clown car of Hegarty, Walker, Todd Bryne, and Gavin Lester in the wings.

JJ

Immortal
Freddy made the GF with finch at half, and a rotating clown car of Hegarty, Walker, Todd Bryne, and Gavin Lester in the wings.

LOL - indeed, and Johns won with Rudder in the halves...

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
bani could have possibly of outran sattler. Although he would have fumbled picking the looseball up first before having a chance

Tommy Smith

Referee
And who can forget that legendary front row rotation that he rode the coat tails of to reach the 2000 GF.

Ian Rubin
Peter Cusack
Dallas Hood

How the hell do you make a GF with that set of front rowers? (Though Cusack was much better 2002-2004).

That team would have won the wooden spoon without Freddy.