What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey swears officials got it all wrong -SMH

lucablight

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/joey-swears-officials-got-it-all-wrong/2006/08/12/1154803104026.html

Glenn Jackson
August 12, 2006

"LET'S get out of here - get out of theeeere."
And with that, referee Paul Simpkins was out of there, as Newcastle skipper Andrew Johns found himself at the centre of another swearing controversy.
The Knights halfback was accused of calling touch judge Matt Cecchin a "f---ing c---" in the dying moments of last night's dramatic loss to Manly.
It came just a month after Johns was heavily scrutinised after shouting an obscenity at a match official during the Knights' clash with Melbourne as he questioned a penalty awarded against his side. Simpkins was the referee on that occasion as well.
The latest drama occurred in the final minute of last night's clash. Newcastle, two points behind the Sea Eagles, were pressing for a match-winning try. A pass was touched away by Manly centre Steve Matai, but Simpkins ruled it had not been played at, handing the Sea Eagles possession.
A penalty was awarded to Manly and the Newcastle players surrounded the referee. Touch judge Cecchin then entered the fray to give a report to Simpkins, telling him: "He [Johns] looked at me and said, 'effing c'."
After the final whistle, Simpkins was quick to leave the field as tempers flared, urging his sideline officials: "Let's get out of here … get out of there."
Afterwards, the Knights were adamant they should have been awarded a scrum, giving them a final chance to snatch a win.
"I just thought it was an example of a knock-on," coach Michael Hagan said.
"It seemed fairly apparent to everyone else in the ground. It wasn't in the context of making a tackle and not playing at the football, it was a knock-on. Surely there won't be a debate on Monday that it was anything but wrong."
Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus was heard to yell at the height of the drama: "How could you not see that, both of you?"
Asked afterwards whether he still thought the call was the wrong one, Buderus replied: "Me and the grandstand. He saw … he made a call on it. I still don't know what his call was, whether he thought he was in the motion of making a tackle … I don't know."
Simpkins defended the decision, saying: "I made a call that the ball wasn't played at. Manly regained possession, then Buderus had hold of the ball and he wouldn't let go, so I awarded a penalty. I had to caution Andrew Johns for dissent."
Asked to confirm whether Johns had told the touch judge he was a "f---ing c---", Simpkins replied: "That was the report from the touch judge. He was cautioned to that effect."
While Buderus claimed he did not hear the offending remark, Hagan defended his skipper.
"I think he would be entitled to swear at him," Hagan maintained. "The game was there to be won and lost."

Cletus

First Grade
lucablight said:
If this is true Johns should be suspended IMO

Not wrong. Couple of weeks I reckon. It was a pretty dodgy call though, should have been a scrum to Newcastle. Don't think it decided the game though, they would have had to score from the scrum.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shock horror, a ref makes a 50-50 call and the players don't like it. So the penalty for calling a touchie that is now a caution? We had better not see another sin binning for calling an official a name for the rest of the season!

Johns needs reigning in and quick. Any other player would have walked, it is starting to stench down Newcastle way.

lazza

Juniors
problem is in the rules, not the ref or the players.

how on earth is a ref meant to define "intent", "played at the ball" in 1/1000000th of a second.

sometimes that wrap around tackling motion is actually not played at, in this instance i thought it was.

mattyg

Bench
Sounds like the ref's genuinly feared for their safety. Yes they f'd up but that gives no reason for joey the sook to call the touchy a "f'ing c..." He should definately cop a few weeks for that. Its a much worse offence than Scott Hill tapping the ref on the shoulder. This time it appears he directly swore at the ref. Whats your excuse now Knights fans? Teams like Souths have been on the wrong end of the stick plenty of times this year but you don't see a Rabbitohs player abusing the touch judge.

I'll go back to my argument a few weeks ago, why would anyone want to be an NRL ref with that sh*t they are copping. So much for Johns' pledge to "behave" himself. :lol:

f*** and we have Hagan sticking up for Johns??...no mate, you are never entitled to swear at the referee you twit. No doubt we are going to hear another pump up Johns' ass on the Newcastle Wank Show next Thursday.

OVP

Coach
I saw the swearing, but im gutted he didnt throw his mouthguard. Maybe he only reserves that for when people like Fittler, school him big time.

ByRd

First Grade
what an idiot Hagon is, defending Johns and actually condoning what he said, saying that in the circumstances it was fine. Johns, you are a good player but seriously learn to cop things and learn that calls go both ways u fkin sook....grow up!!!

mattyg

Bench
Not to mention that Newy got a call a few months back...anyone remember that 5 metre forward pass to Brian Carney? They would have lost that game if they disallowed that try from memory...or at least come close to it. He must have forgot that they have benefited from poor reffing at least once this year. For Hagan to condone it is absolutely disgraceful as well, i think he should cop a fine like Brown did.

Surandy

Bench
Perth Red said:
Shock horror, a ref makes a 50-50 call and the players don't like it. So the penalty for calling a touchie that is now a caution? We had better not see another sin binning for calling an official a name for the rest of the season!

Johns needs reigning in and quick. Any other player would have walked, it is starting to stench down Newcastle way.

50-50 call? That was a bullsh*t call, pure and simple. Why the f**k the NRL persists with Checcin is beyond me, that guy is absolutely hopeless, he couldn't even get a call to 000 correct!

Cletus

First Grade
Surandy said:
50-50 call? That was a bullsh*t call, pure and simple. Why the f**k the NRL persists with Checcin is beyond me, that guy is absolutely hopeless, he couldn't even get a call to 000 correct!

But you can't call the touchie a f**king merkin. The NRL can't let him get away with that.

Robster

Bench
IMO I reckon Johns should be banned for two weeks, when I hear that langague in the Work Site and even out side, I get deeply offended. Andrew Johns being the Super Star he is makes me even more disgusted! He suppose to be a role model.

ledzep

Bench
OVP said:
I saw the swearing, but im gutted he didnt throw his mouthguard. Maybe he only reserves that for when people like Fittler, school him big time.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Inferno

Coach
"I think he would be entitled to swear at him," Hagan maintained. "The game was there to be won and lost."

entitled to swear at him? I thought you guys were supposed to be professionals:roll:

Wait it just means he's passionate right? :roll:

I think he should get a couple of weeks for contrary conduct, its the second incident in recent weeks and an example needs to be made.