What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey swears officials got it all wrong -SMH

Saint 60

Juniors
lol..... this has to be a G up...it was a knock on.....the ref flucked up -- and not the first time in the game either...emotions run high for spectator and player...nobody was hurt...wheres the drama?

Joey Johns gives the ref a spray...? good luck to him...the ref should be dropped to under 16s for a while for ruining a good game to most ppl except Manly supporters -- btw good luck to them anyhows

Most good Capts give a refs a spray every week...always have always will...
Dont make it right..but it happens none the less --
hmmm seem to remember Toovey used to love refs :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
Willow said:
"I think he would be entitled to swear at him," Hagan maintained.

I sincerely hope he was misquoted.

In a season where players are being sent from the field for dissent, and coaches are being fined for publicly questioning referees, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I'd hope he was misquoted too.

You'd think condoning that sort of stuff with that sort of quote would be reason for a nice $10K penalty.

Poor Parramatta are losing an outstanding coach for him... I feel for them.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Without attempting to excuse Johns' actions, your comparison is not apt. The fundamental difference being that the incident in which those players were taken out occured earlier in the match, where it wasn't certain or even likely to cost them the chance of winning the entire thing. It's the same reason why Australians were so furious at the way in which Australia exited the soccer world cup - it wasn't that just that it was (or was perceived to be) an unfair decision, it was that it was an unfair decision that effectively ended the game and decided the outcome.

As for the referee crew fearing for their safety - I would expect that had much more to do with the crowd than Johns. The atmosphere turned very hostile very quickly towards the end of the game. I was seated between two Newcastle supporters who had otherwise seemed fairly placid, and received comments from both that if they saw the ref face to face again they'd break his nose/ neck/ arm/ balls/ what-have-you. Alcohol + disappointment + anger = poor lookout for referee. I know in his position, I'd want to be out of there as quickly as I possibly could.

With respect to the swearing, and possible penalty: the reason why one cannot under any circumstances touch a referee is that physical behaviour can be potentially harmful, and allowing for even its harmless aspects increases the risk that the harmful variety will eventuate. In order to protect the safety of its referees, the NRL is consequently compelled to impose harsher penalties for non-harmful touching than for much more aggressive and virulent verbal behaviour.

As for role modelling - if we are really so concerned about the behaviour of our league stars being slavishly mimiced by young boys, we should remove their microphones entirely. They swear at each other, the opposition, and themselves all the time - why is it that we don't mind our kids copying that, but blanch at the thought of it being directed at the referee?

Kiwi

First Grade
Players seem to be permitted to make mistakes without the flogging refs seem to cop. How many times does a player cost a team a game compared to a ref mistake.

Refs like players f**k up, who here can honestly say the ref and touchie had the same view a few players and a few fans.

And lets be honest here, it could have been the right call and the players in question would still have gone off like they did, and would still be getting defended like they are. It could have been the right call and the people in the grandstand would have still thought it was wrong.

In the end the ref will cop it for the mistake, and despite the fact Johns should for his outburst he wont.

Johns could kill a ref, and the NRL, Knights and their fans would help the prick hide the body.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I thought it was actually Carney who made the comment. At least that's the way it looked when i was watching.

innsaneink

Referee
Surandy said:
50-50 call? That was a bullsh*t call, pure and simple. Why the f**k the NRL persists with Checcin is beyond me, that guy is absolutely hopeless, he couldn't even get a call to 000 correct!

Cecchinn spotted the intereference on Halatau by O'donnell or Smith I think it was...midfield....just before a "try" was scored by the Cowboys in the first half when they were in front in last years GF.....correct call too which most people missed at the time, couldve been disastrous....that certainly changed myopinion of him, which prior hadnt been very positive at all. :D

On Johns....while I dont condone what he did, I can understand it. I was filthy too that such an exciting game finished as it did.

For forty minutes their was nothing in it....then Manly get away to an eight pt break, it looks all over.....then suddenly the Knights get back to 2 points with a pie to Perry under the sticks, restart and a penalty for a high shot to carry em downfield, a minute to go, top 4 on the line, 25000 Knights fans screaming, everyone on the edge of their seats....then the ref/touchie stuffs up.......talk about an anti climax.

tbone10

Juniors
Iafeta said:
I'd hope he was misquoted too.

You'd think condoning that sort of stuff with that sort of quote would be reason for a nice $10K penalty.

Poor Parramatta are losing an outstanding coach for him... I feel for them.

He wasn't misquoted they showed some of the press conference on fox sports news this morning.

dragondad

First Grade
I don't beleive people feel sorry for Johns because it was such a big game that went down to the wire.

He called Cecchin an "effing c" what else do you want?

meltiger

First Grade
Willow said:
"I think he would be entitled to swear at him," Hagan maintained.

I sincerely hope he was misquoted.

In a season where players are being sent from the field for dissent, and coaches are being fined for publicly questioning referees, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Johns was right though, "15,000 people saw it" - It was a terrible call, no matter what the Johns haters want to beleive. Yes Newcastle may not have scored from the subsequent possession but the blind referee and touchie took away any chance of them being able to do that.

meltiger

First Grade
Robster said:
IMO I reckon Johns should be banned for two weeks, when I hear that langague in the Work Site and even out side, I get deeply offended. Andrew Johns being the Super Star he is makes me even more disgusted! He suppose to be a role model.

:lol:

People really do post dumb sh!t in their attempt to denigrate Joey.

If you're really offended princess robster, I suggest you join the real world.

Iafeta

Referee
I wonder what Gordy Tallis is thinking about the Knights referee abuse in the past.

"I heard him call me a f'n cheat... he's off."

And that was after a very blatant knock on at a very crucial stage of Origin. Irrespective, I'm a Queensland fan, and as hard as it is to stomach you can't abuse the referees. Question, yes, question by the captain ONLY, yes, anything else, ten metres, ten metres, and then "He used his hands, he's off..", well maybe not like that but you get the drift.

I think at the start of the NRL season next year, refs boss Magoo Finch needs to get his referees blitzing inappropriate behaviour aimed at referees. Any such non captaining reasonable and appropriate questioning, ten metres, consistent infringements, bin time. If that happens, poor Brian Smith is going to be for a hell of a hard time up in Newcastle, but it'll be one way to eradicate this sort of thing. As much as we can talk about emotions, I played sport for 15 years, got some rough calls at crucial stages of what were in my eyes crucial games, but didn't let rip at an umpire like that. Question, yes, of course. Swear my nut off? No. I mean honestly, those defending Johns, how many times have you blatantly sworn your head off at a referee? I remember growing up watching great captains like Fitzpatrick, Coney and co question some decisions, but never really swear at a ref in disagreement. That behaviour was appropriate and fair. Abusing the ref with cuss language is not, and sets a poor example to kids. There's no other explanation for it, and to perfectly honest, Hagan's defence of it is inexcusable and worthy of a fine to let parent coaches etc. know that sort of carry on is not on.

meltiger

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Cecchinn spotted the intereference on Halatau by O'donnell or Smith I think it was...midfield....just before a "try" was scored by the Cowboys in the first half when they were in front in last years GF.....correct call too which most people missed at the time

lol

My old man STILL argues with me about that call. Swears blind it was wrong.

(I agree with you though)

meltiger

First Grade
Iafeta said:
"I heard him call me a f'n cheat... he's off."

Gordy's problem wasn't with what he said that night, it was the fact he said it to the most arrogant, prima donna to pick up a whistle since the 70's

He wsn't going to cop Gordy calling him that on national tv.

Iafeta

Referee
meltiger said:
:lol:

People really do post dumb sh!t in their attempt to denigrate Joey.

If you're really offended princess robster, I suggest you join the real world.

I used to hear that language often within my workplace, and there are members of my staff who do get offended by it. Some cultures do get offended by it in particular, and whether we like it or not, Australia is a multicultural society with multicultural stakeholders - co workers, customers etc. I work in an industry that historically was a "boys club". In my staff, I employ females on the basis of bringing different generic qualities to my group. As such, we have to grow our language to a more appropriate level not to offend them either.

It is a repeated hot topic at various meetings, at management level we set a very strong example of conduct involving not swearing. Immediately, after turning this around, the level of foul language dropped within the worker group immensely. We also document in minutes regularly our code of conduct which incorporates inappropriate language. Anything deemed offensive or over the top is harshly cautioned.

Whilst you may think it is childish to get offended, there are different people with different cultural, emotional, and gender levels of tolerance and people in all workplaces have to take this into consideration and suffer the consequences, should they not.

Iafeta

Referee
meltiger said:
Gordy's problem wasn't with what he said that night, it was the fact he said it to the most arrogant, prima donna to pick up a whistle since the 70's

He wsn't going to cop Gordy calling him that on national tv.

Perhaps.

Take out Gordy Tallis, and Hollywood, and imagine its an 8 year old with a parent refereeing. It is appropriate Tallis got censored because if he isn't, it sets an example that that language is appropriate to a person in an official capacity. Which it isn't. If Tallis isn't ordered off, and there's no censoring from the NRL in this case, it does have a flow on effect to people who view these players as role models. And that overall, isn't a good view for society.

skeepe

Immortal
I remember a fair few years back Craig Polla-Mounter being sent from the field for saying "You're f**king joking" to a touchie. I'm absolutely astounded that Johns was allowed to remain on the field.

What we saw last night, and have seen much more of this season than in the past is the REAL Andrew Johns. A petulant, arrogant little prick.

meltiger

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Whilst you may think it is childish to get offended, there are different people with different cultural, emotional, and gender levels of tolerance and people in all workplaces have to take this into consideration and suffer the consequences, should they not.

Good for them. Maybe they should take MY culture of not giving a damn into account and be tolerant of me instead of me being forced to be tolerant of them.

meltiger

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Perhaps.

Take out Gordy Tallis, and Hollywood, and imagine its an 8 year old with a parent refereeing. It is appropriate Tallis got censored because if he isn't, it sets an example that that language is appropriate to a person in an official capacity. Which it isn't. If Tallis isn't ordered off, and there's no censoring from the NRL in this case, it does have a flow on effect to people who view these players as role models. And that overall, isn't a good view for society.

Yes, because kids copy everything they see/hear on tv ... :roll:

skeepe

Immortal
meltiger said:
Yes, because kids copy everything they see/hear on tv ... :roll:

When it comes to kids playing football, yes they do. I'm a referee, and I penalised a kid for swearing at me a few weeks ago. His response? "But Joey can do it..."

Iafeta

Referee
meltiger said:
Good for them. Maybe they should take MY culture of not giving a damn into account and be tolerant of me instead of me being forced to be tolerant of them.

Are you offended by people NOT swearing?

99% aren't.

Therefore you can mould both groups together by having a strong code of conduct.