What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns and Kimmorley renew rivalry

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Pantherjim. said:
Andrew Johns is the best halfback to ever grace God's earth. Methinks Kimmorley would have to eclipse Craig Gower before he would even come close to Joey's class.

Langer was better.

jamesgould

Juniors
DPG said:
6 all.

maybe you think johns is on top because your a biased idiot...

Definitely 6 all, but the only big win to Kimmorley was the 2002 massacre. Of course, Kimmorley may have been lifting a lesser side to victory in some of those wins, Northern Eagles 2001, for example, but overall Johns has a significantly larger average winning margin.

Johns wins:
1999, Round 15: Newcastle 27-26 (v Melbourne)
2000, Round 2: Newcastle 38-6 (v Melbourne)
2000, Finals Week 1: Newcastle 30-16 (v Melbourne)
2002, Round 6: Newcastle 52-8 (v Cronulla)
2003, Round 6: Newcastle 32-24 (v Cronulla)
2005, Round 25: Newcastle 44-14 (v Cronulla)

Average margin: 21.5

Kimmorley wins:
1998, Round 20: Melbourne 32-16
2001, Round 1: Northern 12-10
2002, Round 22: Cronulla 64-14
2003, Round 11: Cronulla 30-24
2005, Round 19: Cronulla 30-26
2006, Round 16: Cronulla 26-16

Average margin 14.6

Raider_69

Post Whore
johns has had the much better team in most of those encounters too
considering that its a mircle kimmorley is even on level pegging with johns

pantherz9103

First Grade
Knights v Cronulla - Final Ladder Positions (Minor Premiership 2002-2005)

2002: Newcastle 2nd, Cronulla 5th
2003: Newcastle 7th, Cronulla 12th
2004: Newcastle 10th, Cronulla 11th
2005: Cronulla 7th, Newcastle 15th

2006* Cronulla 7th, Newcastle 8th

Head to Head since 2002: Sharks have had the better of the last 8 clashes, winning 5 to Newcastle's 3. The Sharks have won 3 of the last 4 in Newcastle and 2 of the last 3 at Toyota Park.

Johns spent almost all of 2004 out injured, as well as the back end of 2003and 2 months out of 2005.

Kimmorley has been on the sidelines quite a bit too, especially this year but Cronulla have fared quite well without him.

Anyone know Cronulla's record with Kimmorley vs their record without Kimmorley in 2006?

Johns Magic

Referee
Timmah said:
Wow. Two halves whose teams are in the middle of a form slump WITH the pair in question at the helm. Both sides languishing and risking a fall out of the eight... what a battle :roll:

I know our halves aren't crash hot, but geez, greats? Johns hasn't seen greatness since that Origin game, and Kimmorley's been an over-rated nuffy since 2000.

Johns is in a form slump, yet he's still leading try-assists with 22. Next is Orford on 17, then Lockyer on 14. Sure he's not as good as he was a couple of years ago, but he's not going as bad as everyone thinks.

jamesgould

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
johns has had the much better team in most of those encounters too
considering that its a mircle kimmorley is even on level pegging with johns

That's overlooking the fact that Johns makes those players look better than they are, to the extent that they are wooden spooners without him there.

salivor

First Grade
jamesgould said:
That's overlooking the fact that Johns makes those players look better than they are, to the extent that they are wooden spooners without him there.

That may be the case in the last few years but in the late 90's and early 00's Johns had some real class around him.

Inferno

Coach
pantherz9103 said:
Knights v Cronulla - Final Ladder Positions (Minor Premiership 2002-2005)

2002: Newcastle 2nd, Cronulla 5th
2003: Newcastle 7th, Cronulla 12th
2004: Newcastle 10th, Cronulla 11th
2005: Cronulla 7th, Newcastle 15th

2006* Cronulla 7th, Newcastle 8th

Head to Head since 2002: Sharks have had the better of the last 8 clashes, winning 5 to Newcastle's 3. The Sharks have won 3 of the last 4 in Newcastle and 2 of the last 3 at Toyota Park.

Johns spent almost all of 2004 out injured, as well as the back end of 2003and 2 months out of 2005.

Kimmorley has been on the sidelines quite a bit too, especially this year but Cronulla have fared quite well without him.

Anyone know Cronulla's record with Kimmorley vs their record without Kimmorley in 2006?

Without Kimmorley we have won 4 from 5. With Kimmorley we have won 5 and lost 8. More interesting is the Dykes/Kimmorley halves combination. When they are together we have only won 2 from 9.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Johns Magic said:
Johns is in a form slump, yet he's still leading try-assists with 22. Next is Orford on 17, then Lockyer on 14. Sure he's not as good as he was a couple of years ago, but he's not going as bad as everyone thinks.

Good to see you didn't take the bait :lol: ;-)

Johns has played very well this season but he hasn't really been the dominant half he seems to be touted as. Champion footballer on his day, been playing out of his skin at times this year, but has too much responsibility and pressure alot of the time. He's been outplayed alot this year though, which was evident during the Knight's form slump of late. Personally I don't rate Kimmorley, never have. The Sharks won 4 straight from memory, without him, and then the game he came back they lost. He's been at the helm of the side for the last four weeks which they've all lost... sorry if I don't see him as powerful. I'm surprised Sharkie fans don't hate the moron.

Inferno

Coach
Timmah said:
Good to see you didn't take the bait :lol: ;-)

Johns has played very well this season but he hasn't really been the dominant half he seems to be touted as. Champion footballer on his day, been playing out of his skin at times this year, but has too much responsibility and pressure alot of the time. He's been outplayed alot this year though, which was evident during the Knight's form slump of late. Personally I don't rate Kimmorley, never have. The Sharks won 4 straight from memory, without him, and then the game he came back they lost. He's been at the helm of the side for the last four weeks which they've all lost... sorry if I don't see him as powerful. I'm surprised Sharkie fans don't hate the moron.

If you peruse the Sharks forum you will see many of us were calling for him to be dropped weeks ago. There are more than a few Shark fans who think we are a better unit without him. That said, he always does seem to lift against Joey, whether it will be enough though is another story.

bobbis

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
Are you serious? Langer wasnt even the best half in the 90's! Johns owns langer

He was definately the best half back of the 90s.

head to head in origin when langer and johns oppossed each other as Half backs langer dominated johns with inferior sides, in the latter stages of his career while johns was in the prime of his career.

DeeGan

Bench
Looking forward to the match up tonight Johns vs Kimmorley. Both thrive on this personal battle ... bragging rights and two competition points to the victor.

I remember the number number Kimmorley put on Johns in 2002 at Toyota Park. He was untouchable in that game racking up a Sharks record 28 points and picked up a 10 from 10 rating in the RLW.

Newcastle have looked scratchy of late, especially up front. I am taking the Sharks at home tonight to end their losing streak.

Kilkenny

Coach
Has Kimmorley ever really excelled in the big games?

There may be a rivalry but Johns in a head to head battle wins hands down.

bluesbreaker

Bench
So lets see,

Who got the better of who tonight, hey Raiduh? Me, biased? :lol: You'd seriously try to argue that Ben Walker is a better half than Johns because of your irrational hatred of the man. Just the usual poor old Don Quiraiduhio, sitting on his donkey and stabbing at the wind!

Rod

Bench
Kimmorley was alright tonight, although Joey was outstanding, his best game in a while.

Raider_69

Post Whore
bluesbreaker said:
So lets see,

Who got the better of who tonight, hey Raiduh? Me, biased? :lol: You'd seriously try to argue that Ben Walker is a better half than Johns because of your irrational hatred of the man. Just the usual poor old Don Quiraiduhio, sitting on his donkey and stabbing at the wind!

johns did tonight
doesnt make my point on previous games any less valid, wanker

As for the rest of your post. Your an idiot who has nothing. Ive always (well when not bored and keen on getting your other head to bite) said johns is the best half in the world, you just dont like the fact i as well as you do he as a human being is lower then low. Youd seriously try to argue johns is god reincarnated.

As i said before, stick ya head back up your arse... you'll fit right in with joey that way