What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson or Moylan..?

Sharks five eighth Matt Moylan has agreed to terms on a contact extension that will see him remain at the Cronulla club for the 2022 season.

The new deal for the former NSW Origin and Kangaroos representative will be for one year.

Moylan has played 144 NRL games, 55 for the Sharks since joining the club in 2018.

The re-signing adds depth to the Sharks halves, with Moylan, Storm recruit Nicho Hynes, youngster Braydon Trindall and the versatile Connor Tracey to be amongst those vying for the six and seven jerseys next year.
Pleased to have come to terms on a new contract, Moylan was aiming to finish the current season on a high note and excited to have the chance to play under the coaching of Craig Fitzgibbon in 2022.
“I’m really grateful for the opportunity to stay for another year,” Moylan said. “I’ve had a few chats to Fitzy and I look forward to working with him, Josh and the coaching staff next year. I’m confident they can make me a better player on the field and help with my development off it as well.
“Until then I’m working hard to get back on the field next week and to finish the season off strongly,” Moylan added.
Moylan had played 12 of 14 games in 2021, until sidelined by a calf problem. Prior to his recent injury Moylan played a pivotal role in getting the Sharks season back on track during a four-game winning streak from round 11.
He will miss the Bulldogs game on Sunday, while aiming to be available for selection for the Sharks round 20 match against Manly.
Sharks coach Josh Hannay was pleased the Sharks had secured his services for 2022 and that Moylan's immediate future had been confirmed.
“I’m really happy for the club and Matt that both parties have come to an agreement for next season,” Hannay said. “
“Matt has been one of our better performers this season and although injured at the moment, he’s shown a greater durability than in previous years. I put this down to Matt having a stronger focus and dedication to his preparation and if he continues to focus on these parts of his game, coupled with his undoubted talent, I believe his best is still to come.”
The 30-year-old Moylan began his NRL career at the Panthers, where he made his debut in round seven of the 2013 season.
While at the Panthers he would go on to play three games for NSW in the 2016 State of Origin series and one Test Match for Australia, before joining the Sharks in 2018.
Moylan’s contract extension adds to the recent re-signings of Trindall, Tracey, Will Kennedy and Toby Rudolf, along with the acquisitions of Hynes and former Dragons skipper Cameron McInnes, as the Sharks look to build a formidable roster for the 2022 season and beyond.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Fitz must know a trainer who has Mr. Miyagi magic hands - he will need a miracle a week to get Moyzza up each week.
Hell of a player but agree his value has diminished

R-15-3

Juniors
I’m hoping that’s the reason why he has missed so many weeks with a minor injury as we don’t want to f**k him up for next year. Give him the rest of the season off if his rehab needs it.

sandshark

Bench
Moyza when on the field.. looked pretty ok this season.
Not expecting to see more than 12 games from him next season before the inevitable breakdown but this is ok for depth.
Trindall, Tracey, Hynes and Moyza to choose from next season.
Not expecting wonders for the next few seasons but I trust Fitzy to get this squad in order.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I’m hoping that’s the reason why he has missed so many weeks with a minor injury as we don’t want to f**k him up for next year. Give him the rest of the season off if his rehab needs it.

I doubt that R-15

More likely they want him fit for the semis which despite the doom and gloom in here is still a realistic shot.

Omnishark2

Juniors
If the contract is $350k for Moylan next year, that's a fair result.

We definitely look a better team when he's on the field ... as we all know only too well, that doesn't happen often enough though.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Hopefully just a bandaid re-signing to go for a decent half in 2023 and thus not signing crap like pearce or brooks.

I'm going to be a Bubble Burster. Hope it doesn't get LU kicked out of the interweb!! HAHAH

I've always believed, after missing Reynolds, a war chest would be established for a gun player, probably a half for 2023

But the cupboard will still be bare in terms of off contract halves for 2022. I've done a strikethough on most of them, personal opinion only, but could change when we I see more of them.

FIVE-EIGHTH

Jack Bird, Kieran Foran, Ben Hampton, Adam Keighran, Lachlan Lam, Moses Mbye, Kodi Nikorima, Hayze Perham, Simi Sasagi, Jayden Sullivan, Tommy Talau, Cody Walker

HALFBACK

Jakob Arthur, Adam Clune, Brodie Croft, Cade Cust, Dylan Edwards, Kurt Falls, Jamal Fogarty, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Jock Madden, Cory Paix, Mitchell Pearce, Brandon Wakeham

Frenzy.

Immortal
If the contract is $350k for Moylan next year, that's a fair result.

We definitely look a better team when he's on the field ... as we all know only too well, that doesn't happen often enough though.

I read "close to $340,000" so you're close enough and I think it's smart spending.

I'm going to be a Bubble Burster. Hope it doesn't get LU kicked out of the interweb!! HAHAH

I've always believed, after missing Reynolds, a war chest would be established for a gun player, probably a half for 2023

But the cupboard will still be bare in terms of off contract halves for 2022. I've done a strikethough on most of them, personal opinion only, but could change when we I see more of them.

FIVE-EIGHTH

Jack Bird, Kieran Foran, Ben Hampton, Adam Keighran, Lachlan Lam, Moses Mbye, Kodi Nikorima, Hayze Perham, Simi Sasagi, Jayden Sullivan, Tommy Talau, Cody Walker

HALFBACK

Jakob Arthur, Adam Clune, Brodie Croft, Cade Cust, Dylan Edwards, Kurt Falls, Jamal Fogarty, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Jock Madden, Cory Paix, Mitchell Pearce, Brandon Wakeham
Pffft contracts. And we should throw huge money at Ben Hampton anyway 😆

sladden road

Juniors

FIVE-EIGHTH

HALFBACK

like the new avatar doc.
I think he is a footballer

Frenzy.

Immortal
Pffft contracts. And we should throw huge money at Ben Hampton anyway 😆

I hear ya about contracts so who then are we likely to target to break a contract?

There are very few gun halves. It's half the reason the usual suspects always break away from the pack and do well.

We might bring George back to live by the seaside huh? HAHA

shaggs

Coach
Halves always sort themselves out, if the forwards go forward and defend aggressively.
A change in mindset from our middle will allow hynes, Trindall Moylan etc to do what is needed.
BTW , Foran looks like a different player back at manly. He has come good after so many injuries. No reason Moylan can’t do the same

Latest posts